Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 10:05 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Joplin MO is pretty serious they have a written proposal that supposedly has a billion in tax breaks. I just checked and Missouri is not a Right to Work State, I assume that hurts them.

Texas and Tennessee (the other 2 big contenders I've heard of are Right to Work)
Yeah, it wouldn't shock me if things like right to work and the likelihood of certain covid restrictions being placed (think Fremont being shut down in CA) if this bug reappears this Fall as some are saying will all play a role in Tesla choosing to where open a new plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 05:21 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I do wonder if expanding the Buffalo gigafactory is under consideration at all. They already have facilities there and have ample room to expand with land prices being quite low. They have access to the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway and they're in close reach of the Midwest, the Northeast Corridor and Canada's Windsor Corridor. Their current Gigafactory is even abuts a train yard if they want to do shipping that way.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:30 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
I would think Buffalo has even less of a chance than Chicago. It kills the whole "central" concept they were going for. Union state, cold weather state, high tax state....

One of the bottlenecks of the Fremont plant is that they are shoehorned into an existing plant. In China they designed from scratch. And I assume there will still be a learning curve applied to Berlin. So, having an existing plant is probably not a big plus.

This is me speculating but I don't think Tesla has much of a desire for shipping via water. I think the plan is to go by rail or eventually Tesla semi.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:04 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I would think Buffalo has even less of a chance than Chicago. It kills the whole "central" concept they were going for. Union state, cold weather state, high tax state....

One of the bottlenecks of the Fremont plant is that they are shoehorned into an existing plant. In China they designed from scratch. And I assume there will still be a learning curve applied to Berlin. So, having an existing plant is probably not a big plus.

This is me speculating but I don't think Tesla has much of a desire for shipping via water. I think the plan is to go by rail or eventually Tesla semi.
Yea, it's an off-kilter idea, but if you think of what Tesla's NA market has been outside of California, it's been the northeast corridor and the windsor corridor in Canada. Tesla wouldn't have to be locked into the existing Buffalo plant as it is now as there's physically ample room for expansion outside of its existing structure to its north and south. The space of its existing factory can act as a staging area for that expansion.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 PM

Keep in mind this factory is going to be for the cybtertruck and the semi. Now if you want to tell me pickup is going to sell more in NY and the Northeast then in Texas and the South..... I'm just going to have to disagree.

Musk says central US, I believe him.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:44 PM

936 posts, read 2,082,521 times
Tesla should build the factory in Texas, redneck and pickup truck country. This will help to reduce resistant to Tesla and their green agenda.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:21 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Tesla should build the factory in Texas, redneck and pickup truck country. This will help to reduce resistant to Tesla and their green agenda.
I agree. But I feel that such an impact could be felt if Tesla builds in a number of places. In any case, if Tesla doesn't want to have to continue to deal with crippling shut downs in production if covid comes back with a vengeance this fall (and possibly beyond) as some predict, I'd recommend that the company build in a conservative/GOP state anyway.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 AM

Musk (without saying why) said the factory would have to be more than halfway across US.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:50 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Because he also wants it to serve for Model Y production for East coast.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:54 PM

As far as I know, it's for Semi and Cybertruck only. I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla