Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:28 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

Elon Musk has tweeted out that Tesla is scouting locations in the central US for a new Gigafactory that would produce the CyberTruck as well as Models Y's for the eastern part of the US.

Previously he hinted about Texas specifically. Texas makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Access to sea, rail and east/west highways, low taxes, good labor force. SpaceX also has facilities there.

But Texas does not allow direct sales of Tesla's there. Seems like getting that restriction removed would be a requirement.

But this is all in the very preliminary stage right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 06:58 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Chicago-area would be pretty good in terms of logistics and workforce.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:41 AM

That workforce would be heavily unionized. Not a great incentive.

Musk is apparently in Tennessee today about this. There's already a bunch of auto manufacturing in TN. Nissan, VW. No state income tax.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
That workforce would be heavily unionized. Not a great incentive.

Musk is apparently in Tennessee today about this. There's already a bunch of auto manufacturing in TN. Nissan, VW. No state income tax.
It likely would be and that’s to be factored against Chicago being very populous with a large workforce and a major logistics center for the US.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It likely would be and that’s to be factored against Chicago being very populous with a large workforce and a major logistics center for the US.
All of which Austin or Dallas would have also, in adddition to a close seaport. I see very little chance in Chicago.

Joplin, Mo is throwing there hat into the ring

"Joplin Chamber President here. I’m authorized to give you 100 acres in biz park at crossroads of I-44 and I-49 at the center of the USA, the historic home of battery tech, with four of the largest trucking companies in the world near here. Plus $50+ million in incentives."

Old 03-18-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
All of which Austin or Dallas would have also, in adddition to a close seaport. I see very little chance in Chicago.

Joplin, Mo is throwing there hat into the ring

"Joplin Chamber President here. I’m authorized to give you 100 acres in biz park at crossroads of I-44 and I-49 at the center of the USA, the historic home of battery tech, with four of the largest trucking companies in the world near here. Plus $50+ million in incentives."
Neither Austin nor Dallas has that to the same extent. I don’t see a particularly high chance for Chicago either.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
It should go to Tusla Oklahoma just for this amazing website

https://www.big****ingfield.com/

Old 03-19-2020, 02:44 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago-area would be pretty good in terms of logistics and workforce.
Chicago certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. It's pretty centrally located, has a big airport, lots of rail lines running through it - is said to be the biggest rail hub in the country, then you have Lake Michigan for shipping. University of Chicago is a top school, and around it you have Univ of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Univ of Wisconsin in Madison, Purdue in Lafayette, IN - all strong schools.

Of course there will be other good possibilities. May come down to the sacrifices a host city may be willing to make.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
If this is to produce the cybertruck then it'll take a few months to find a location, maybe another couple of years to break ground and get the facility up and running. I'm guessing cybertruck delivery start estimates are currently too optimistic if that's the case.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:56 PM

Joplin MO is pretty serious they have a written proposal that supposedly has a billion in tax breaks. I just checked and Missouri is not a Right to Work State, I assume that hurts them.

Texas and Tennessee (the other 2 big contenders I've heard of are Right to Work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla