Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,059,168 times

Advertisements

I've posted plenty on this forum regarding my Model 3 ownership experience since late 2018. I finally had a chance to sit in a Model Y but I haven't driven it yet. I've been cross shopping the Model Y with a Lexus RX, the latter being a traditional ICE with higher running costs but with certain redeeming qualities and good discounts. Here are my thoughts which are based on my eye test rather than official measurements:

Front seat - It had that nice higher ride height relative to the Model 3. This made ingress/egress easier. Otherwise, it felt identical. The screen, dash, everything. One red flag was that I noticed the center armrest lid was identical to my Model 3, which indicated that the Model Y's interior wasn't any wider.

Rear seat - It had a bit more legroom than the Model 3 and the rear seats recline slightly as well. There is more headroom than the Model 3 which lends to an airier feeling. However, there was one major disappointment: the width. The rear seat seemed no wider than the Model 3, which is a letdown since the Model Y is wider from the exterior. I sat in the back with my buddy and the gap between our shoulders must have been a foot or less. People have been saying the Model Y will take the Lexus Rx's market but this is one area where the Lexus RX beats the Model Y (RX's rear seat was more comfortable overall as well, with nicer seats). If there are parents out there hoping to place three child seats in the back, I recommend buying a different car.

Cargo area - Youtubers have raved about the Model Y's cargo volume, but my eye test after opening the tailgate showed a cargo bay that was just about average for the segment..and narrower than I hoped. It looked larger than the Audi Q5 cargo bay but smaller than the Lexus RX (again, another Lexus RX advantage). There's the underfloor storage that can be nifty, but that space isn't as valuable as cargo floor space since that compartment requires you to bend down and is inaccessible if you have a box on top of the lid.

Overall conclusion - The automotive market is saturated with choices. Like the Model 3, the Model Y isn't the most luxurious nor is the most comfortable choice out there. But it is more "memorable" and leaves an impression on me more than the traditional auto makes that I've gotten used to over the past couple of decades. And I think that's Tesla's competitive advantage. They're different. It's not perfect, but it's also not the same old song. I sat in the new BMW X3 as well and I was impressed with how much progress BMW made in interior quality since a decade ago (interior has a more fine crafted feel than the Model Y, obviously). But the same can be said of its competitors, which made me less excited about it.

The Model Y is a better "family car" than the Model 3, but if you have 2 or more kids with frequent long road trips, you may be better off trading the excitement of a Model Y for a more traditional choice with more interior space. The Model Y does function well as a comfortable daily driver for families as long as longer excursions with luggage aren't that frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 01:24 PM

37,225 posts, read 39,498,461 times
How’d that frunk look? It seems like it’d fit a carry on, but maybe not?

I’m sort of hoping the RAV4 Prime’s powertrain is signs of things to come for the RX with just a bit more power and EV range. I’d expect a new generation for the RX within the next couple of years.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-13-2020 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How’d that frunk look? It seems like it’d fit a carry on, but maybe not?

I’m sort of hoping the RAV4 Prime’s powertrain is signs of things to come for the RX with just a bit more power and EV range. I’d expect a new generation for the RX within the next couple of years.
I opened the frunk and eyeballed it. It looked noticeably deeper than a model 3 frunk but I don't think it can swallow a standard carry-on since it tapers off towards the front.

The current RX has been around since around 2016 so I think you're right.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I opened the frunk and eyeballed it. It looked noticeably deeper than a model 3 frunk but I don't think it can swallow a standard carry-on since it tapers off towards the front.

The current RX has been around since around 2016 so I think you're right.
I see. I’ve been trying to figure the frunk space because it seems like it’s on the border. I guess it’s a relatively minor consideration, but it’d help to know for sure if it hits standard carryon size. I’m not thinking of buying one for myself, but my mother who lives across the country and it’d be good to know for a visit, because her trunk is usually a mess and I’m nearing the time where I’d replace her vehicle which is a RX.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,802,103 times
Wife and I own a Bolt (2019 Premier). We'd like a long distance EV. Considering the Model Y or possibly the new Mach-E. Doubt the Mach-E will be available for a while, so we'll probably buy the Tesla. Likely around late Fall, early Winter (while we're in AZ).

I realize the fast charging infrastructure is maturing rapidly. Electrify America chargers make cross country travel in an EV a non-event (more or less) now. Still, that Tesla fast charge system is still the model to beat.

Rich

Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Wife and I own a Bolt (2019 Premier). We'd like a long distance EV. Considering the Model Y or possibly the new Mach-E. Doubt the Mach-E will be available for a while, so we'll probably buy the Tesla. Likely around late Fall, early Winter (while we're in AZ).

I realize the fast charging infrastructure is maturing rapidly. Electrify America chargers make cross country travel in an EV a non-event (more or less) now. Still, that Tesla fast charge system is still the model to beat.

Rich
I don't recommend an EV for long distance travel but if I had to pick one then yes, Tesla is still the best bet. It's supercharger network is fairly comprehensive and quite shockingly so for such a young company.

Since you're in AZ, I wonder how EVs fare in hotter climates. I usually park my Tesla in the garage, but when I occasionally leave the car out in the hot sun and I start driving it, the battery cooling system gets pretty loud (not compared to an ICE engine revving but enough to hear it).

I looked into the Mach-E as well and it has that nice fed tax credit to its advantage. But considering Ford has very little experience with EVs, I'd probably stay away from it until they hone their craft in a couple of years or so. just my two cents.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see. I’ve been trying to figure the frunk space because it seems like it’s on the border. I guess it’s a relatively minor consideration, but it’d help to know for sure if it hits standard carryon size. I’m not thinking of buying one for myself, but my mother who lives across the country and it’d be good to know for a visit, because her trunk is usually a mess and I’m nearing the time where I’d replace her vehicle which is a RX.
I was also looking to get a Model Y for my mother. But my mother is in her late 60s and admittedly the touch screen on my Model 3 can get a little distracting for me when i'm trying to change wiper speeds or if i'm trying to toggle the HVAC system. I think it would be worse for someone elderly. Just something to think about.

I wish future Teslas would add some physical buttons and knobs for a limited set of frequently used functions, which is what Ford apparently is doing with its Mach-E.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
If you travel long distance, why not get a plug-in hybrid. The new Prius gets almost 600 mis on both electric and gas, there's nothing close to it. EV for long distance requires planning and range anxiety becomes an issue if you are stuck in traffic between 2 major charging points. You maybe on your own if Tesla cannot reach you and you'll have to wait for towing to get you to a charging site.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I was also looking to get a Model Y for my mother. But my mother is in her late 60s and admittedly the touch screen on my Model 3 can get a little distracting for me when i'm trying to change wiper speeds or if i'm trying to toggle the HVAC system. I think it would be worse for someone elderly. Just something to think about.

I wish future Teslas would add some physical buttons and knobs for a limited set of frequently used functions, which is what Ford apparently is doing with its Mach-E.
Yea, that's my concern as well. I think it's probably better to stick with something familiar, but ultimately she'll need to give up driving at some point and it's up in air when self-driving without the need of any intervention will realistically come around.

I think since you're asking about family vehicles, there is a new Toyota Sienna coming around and that one will at the very least be a hybrid and perhaps a plugin hybrid.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:16 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,305,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
EV for long distance requires planning and range anxiety becomes an issue if you are stuck in traffic between 2 major charging points. You maybe on your own if Tesla cannot reach you and you'll have to wait for towing to get you to a charging site.
I'll disagree here. When I got my Model S, 5+ years ago, some planning was necessary. Now, there are superchargers pretty much everywhere along and near major highways as well as within cities. And the car's computer tells you where to charge.

The ONLY place in the US that I have on my list of places to visit at some point, but currently has a charging hole is SE NM. For me to visit Carlsbad Caverns from I-25 in Colorado, it can't be done without detouring through Texas. Looking at the map, Roswell would be the perfect spot for it to fill that hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla