Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 09:01 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times

Advertisements

Now they are advertising for semi techs in

Fremont, CA
Reno, NV
Stockton, CA
Rocklin, CA
Fresno, CA

Old 04-14-2021, 02:41 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
This electric semi and its competitors are about to take over a portion of the semi market because they are so much cheaper to run. If government comes up with a miles per driven tax to compensate for the current taxes paid for fuel, the advantage will drop some.
How so? How many megachargers have found in your travels?
Battery degradation will be a huge issue. Current EV’s only use less than 10% of their capacity. Semis would use almost all of it which will degrade the battery much quicker on a vehicle expected to last 1 million miles.

The center mounted driver position alone indicates Tesla really doesn’t understand the trucking industry.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:15 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Now they are advertising for semi techs in

Fremont, CA
Reno, NV
Stockton, CA
Rocklin, CA
Fresno, CA

Looks like they're gearing up to eat their own dog food.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:26 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
How so? How many megachargers have found in your travels?
Battery degradation will be a huge issue. Current EV’s only use less than 10% of their capacity. Semis would use almost all of it which will degrade the battery much quicker on a vehicle expected to last 1 million miles.

The center mounted driver position alone indicates Tesla really doesn’t understand the trucking industry.
Why do you say "current EVs use less than 10% of their capacity" - I use 70-80% of capacity on a regular basis as do many users. Also - Battery degradation is not a "huge issue" - the batteries have a projected life of about 1M miles based on actual use.

As far a center seating, there are many reasons that makes sense - I guess those that write about Trucks for a living or traditional truck manufacturers and users don't understand the trucking industry either even though that is their job - namely Peterbilt and Walmart - article from Trucks.com

Quote:
But though it smacks of innovation, Tesla is far from the first to propose a central driving position.
More recently, several heavy-duty concepts featured a central driving position. One notable example is the Walmart Advanced Vehicle Experience, or WAVE fuel economy prototype, an intriguing combination tractor-trailer that was a cooperative effort by Peterbilt, Great Dane and Capstone Turbine for retail giant Walmart.

Proponents of the centrally located driving position claim it improves visibility and provides enhanced safety because the driver sits farther away from side panels and windshield A-pillars. But the biggest benefit might be to the vehicle aerodynamics.
You really don't understand Tesla and your bias is clear.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Why do you say "current EVs use less than 10% of their capacity" - I use 70-80% of capacity on a regular basis as do many users. Also - Battery degradation is not a "huge issue" - the batteries have a projected life of about 1M miles based on actual use.

As far a center seating, there are many reasons that makes sense - I guess those that write about Trucks for a living or traditional truck manufacturers and users don't understand the trucking industry either even though that is their job - namely Peterbilt and Walmart - article from Trucks.com

You really don't understand Tesla and your bias is clear.
The “projected life of 1 million miles” is as you say of “actual use”, which for most people is less than 10% of the battery capacity. It’s not as if Tesla hasn’t been disingenuous of their claims before.

As for center seating position, try going through a drive through, toll booth, or guard gate sitting in the middle of your car and get back with us .

I’ve never made any attempt to hide my anti bias just as you don’t make an attempt to hide your pro Tesla bias. If one only listened to you, they would assume Full Self Driving actually drives itself, solar shingles are in full production, Tesla is actually making huge profits on battery storage, and that Tesla has great build quality.

Don’t act like owning a Model 3 and subscribing to Elon’s tweets makes you a battery engineer.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 04-21-2021 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The “projected life of 1 million miles” is as you say of “actual use”, which for most people is less than 10% of the battery capacity. It’s not as if Tesla hasn’t been disingenuous of their claims before.

As for center seating position, try going through a drive through, toll booth, or guard gate sitting in the middle of your car and get back with us .

I’ve never made any attempt to hide my anti bias just as you don’t make an attempt to hide your pro Tesla bias. If one only listened to you, they would assume Full Self Driving actually drives itself, solar shingles are in full production, Tesla is actually making huge profits on battery storage, and that Tesla has great build quality.

Don’t act like owning a Model 3 and subscribing to Elon’s tweets makes you a battery engineer.
Again - data supports me not you - you make claims but never can point to any data tp back it. It is much easier to make unsupported claims than actually do any research - show ANY site that says that most owners always only use 10% of battery. Almost no Tesla owner only uses 10% because it is not good for the battery.

Also Truck experts like journalists, manufactures and owners/users disagree with you. A Semi doesn't go through the drive through and tollbooths are not a problem because of electronic passes. I also actually have driven Semi's, I am guessing you have not.

I am not really pro bias, I just hate those that know very little that make themselves out to experts when they have not even driven one. Get some experience and do some research before making unsupported statements.

BTW - I have owned 3 Tesla's and actually have been trained as a battery engineer and managed batteries larger than is used in these vehicles.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Again - data supports me not you - you make claims but never can point to any data tp back it. It is much easier to make unsupported claims than actually do any research - show ANY site that says that most owners always only use 10% of battery. Almost no Tesla owner only uses 10% because it is not good for the battery.

Also Truck experts like journalists, manufactures and owners/users disagree with you. A Semi doesn't go through the drive through and tollbooths are not a problem because of electronic passes. I also actually have driven Semi's, I am guessing you have not.

I am not really pro bias, I just hate those that know very little that make themselves out to experts when they have not even driven one. Get some experience and do some research before making unsupported statements.

BTW - I have owned 3 Tesla's and actually have been trained as a battery engineer and managed batteries larger than is used in these vehicles.
You claim whatever you want but you don’t back anything up. Your links are either some “Google it and it will tell you what you want” link or you use something Elon said as gospel. You question nothing.

Average American commutes 16 miles a day https://itstillruns.com/far-american...e-7446397.html
A Tesla battery is about 300 mile range and up. That’s less than 5% of the battery capacity. I know driving a Tesla allows you to speak on behalf of all Tesla owners, and you’re a so called truck driving battery engineer, but the duty cycle on a passenger car is in no way the same as a semi truck. You as a battery engineer can tell us what happens to lithium batteries when you fast charge them over and over again every day from a nearly drained battery state to full capacity.

Again, I know driving a truck once gives you the authority to speak on behalf of all “truck experts”, but considering every manufacturer except Tesla puts the driver at the side of the truck closest to their highway’s centerline, maybe you can explain how only Tesla figured out they should put it in the middle despite not having any trucking background?
You read anything from anybody and pass it off as unanimous and act arrogant about it. Your bias is undeniable.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:56 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
You claim whatever you want but you don’t back anything up. Your links are either some “Google it and it will tell you what you want” link or you use something Elon said as gospel. You question nothing.

Average American commutes 16 miles a day https://itstillruns.com/far-american...e-7446397.html
A Tesla battery is about 300 mile range and up. That’s less than 5% of the battery capacity. I know driving a Tesla allows you to speak on behalf of all Tesla owners, and you’re a so called truck driving battery engineer, but the duty cycle on a passenger car is in no way the same as a semi truck. You as a battery engineer can tell us what happens to lithium batteries when you fast charge them over and over again every day from a nearly drained battery state to full capacity.

Again, I know driving a truck once gives you the authority to speak on behalf of all “truck experts”, but considering every manufacturer except Tesla puts the driver at the side of the truck closest to their highway’s centerline, maybe you can explain how only Tesla figured out they should put it in the middle despite not having any trucking background?
You read anything from anybody and pass it off as unanimous and act arrogant about it. Your bias is undeniable.

You having almost no experience and an interesting track record of predictions and statements doesn't make him more believable, but it certainly doesn't make anyone inclined to believe you when you're saying someone else is being arrogant.

It would be great if you can explain what you mean by "current EVs use less than 10% of their capacity" though. I'm curious about what that means to you and how you think that works in the context of EV batteries.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:

I do not give a “Google it and it will tell you what you want link" or "use something Elon said as gospel" - a quote and a link is how you back up statement. I did back my data up with actual links and quoted data such as from trucks.com - I am saying YOU need to look up and provide the same for your claims. I post from my experience with Tesla vehicles and other independent sources - that is better than just making wild claims which is your normal post.

Vehicles are used for more than commuting - it is a big assumption that the average Tesla is driven ONLY for commuting and that it is 16 miles. I also previously gave a link to a Tesla vehicle that has over 300K miles in 2 years in other posts - link.
Quote:
"Tesloop regularly Supercharges its vehicles four times a day to up to 95% of the full battery’s capacity for the Shuttle service type."
This vehicle was fast charged over and over again every day for 2 years and 300K miles - sounds like they are able to handle that and the new Tesla Truck batteries are reported to charge faster and last longer.

I did not pretend to be a truck expert although you did - which is why I used the experts that design trucks and own trucks as cited by trucks.com - if you look at the article I linked you will see that there are several designs by traditional truck manufactures that have the same center seating position because it is aerodynamic and has other benefits but gives up the second seat up front.

I worked on and drove trucks for approximately 3 years (not just once). Not that it is really relevant but, I actually did work at PACCAR (they make Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc) and worked with the Army on their vehicles also so I have a little more experience than most. I also had classes in battery engineering and worked with large battery installations - sorry if you think that is arrogant.

You are the one acting arrogant, that seems to think that you know more than you do - passing off opinion as facts that are not true. Try driving the vehicles you are criticizing - that is the only correct or fair way to do it. It is more than bias to not do it fairly, it is blatant jealousy.

I actual have real experience, actually owning 3 real Tesla vehicles, driving and working on real trucks and working with real batteries - that is not arrogance, that is factual.

Last edited by ddeemo; 04-23-2021 at 05:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I do not give a “Google it and it will tell you what you want link" or "use something Elon said as gospel" - a quote and a link is how you back up statement. I did back my data up with actual links and quoted data such as from trucks.com - I am saying YOU need to look up and provide the same for your claims. I post from my experience with Tesla vehicles and other independent sources - that is better than just making wild claims which is your normal post.

Vehicles are used for more than commuting - it is a big assumption that the average Tesla is driven ONLY for commuting and that it is 16 miles. I also previously gave a link to a Tesla vehicle that has over 300K miles in 2 years in other posts - link. This vehicle was fast charged over and over again every day for 2 years and 300K miles - sounds like they are able to handle that and the new Tesla Truck batteries are reported to charge faster and last longer.

I did not pretend to be a truck expert although you did - which is why I used the experts that design trucks and own trucks as cited by trucks.com - if you look at the article I linked you will see that there are several designs by traditional truck manufactures that have the same center seating position because it is aerodynamic and has other benefits but gives up the second seat up front.

I worked on and drove trucks for approximately 3 years (not just once). Not that it is really relevant but, I actually did work at PACCAR (they make Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc) and worked with the Army on their vehicles also so I have a little more experience than most. I also had classes in battery engineering and worked with large battery installations - sorry if you think that is arrogant.

You are the one acting arrogant, that seems to think that you know more than you do - passing off opinion as facts that are not true. Try driving the vehicles you are criticizing - that is the only correct or fair way to do it. It is more than bias to not do it fairly, it is blatant jealousy.

I actual have real experience, actually owning 3 real Tesla vehicles, driving and working on real trucks and working with real batteries - that is not arrogance, that is factual.
Here’s what Tesloop had to say about their lessons learned on battery life
Quote:
The first Tesloop car is a 2015 Model S 85D that now has over 430,000 miles on the odometer. That car lost 6% of its original battery capacity or about 20 miles of rated range in its first few months in operation as previously shared. That is worse than typical, as reported by Eletrek. We learned our battery’s degradation was largely due to charging to 100% of capacity multiple times per day between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
That first Tesloop with the highest miles btw had two battery replacements. Anything last forever if you consider the drivetrain a consumable item.

You owning 3 Tesla’s isn’t a qualification as to how long an industrial sized battery will last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla