Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

DanielWayne is right: it's all about money. The poor 'maintain status' quo if they are lucky.

Cathy4017: I couldn't agree more! I still miss the SWC too. That's the way it should be: all the schools in this area fighting it out. Everything is geographic nonsense now. TCU is almost 500 miles from any mountains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Interesting opinion in the Chronicle:

Analysis: Big 12 simply following UT's lead | Texas College Main List | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Geographic nonsense is absolutely correct. OSU in the Pac-10? Kansas to the Big East? Yep this was proposed. Glad to see TCU succeed on the gridiron (and the baseball diamond go Frogs!) but again what happened when TCU was eligible to play for a BCS bowl? They are pitted against another NON-BCS team. Kinda suspicious if you ask me.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Well, looks like, thanks to Texas staying, the Big 12 will remain the with the 10 schools. Best news for Baylor who gets to stay put and not be left out, or least say, thanks to Ex graduate, the then Governor of Texas the infamous Ann Richards, Baylor gets to be the only private school in the Big 12, yep thanks to the gov, the four state schools were left out when the SW Conference folded. The University of Houston, being much more competitive, at that time, in most all sports, should have gone to the Big 12. Too bad Baylor gets to ---- along for at least until another time.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
This new Big12-2 conference sucks. Period.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
This whole Big 12 break up thing has made me absolutely sick. I'm a college football fanatic and I've been ranting about it on the football forum here on CD for days...LOL. To make it short, I hate the fact that the Big 12 is splitting up mostly because of greed, without any regard being given to the traditions, rivalries, and the regional nature of college sports, which makes college sports unique IMO. Texas and Texas A&M may be parting ways, Nebraska has already left it's long-time rivals, again over money. The Texas and Texas A&M rivalry alone goes back like a hundred years! It's insane. The obsession with money in Division I college sports, especially in football, has progressively gotten worse in the last 15 years or so and now we're seeing just how ugly it can get. Now matter how this all ends up with the Big 12 break up, I don't think college football will ever be the same again. Pandora's box has been opened and that makes me very sad.
Right on the "money" TTDave. Well said.

Personally, I think the old idea (which came out in 1964) of a "Southern Super Conference" made good sense. That is, a combination of the old Southwest and Southeast conferences. Schools which had a sports tradition and following that made them unique. It could even be said that the "old" Big 12 was the same way.

Most Texas universities are just not compatible with the PAC-10 in a geographical nor historical sense. But then, as you say, it appears that is no longer of any importance and college football is not what it used to be.

Just to add, like many of y'all..I too miss the old SouthWest Conference. The "Big Shootout" in 1969 between Texas and Arkansas is one that blew away anything Harvard and Yale or Michigan State and Notre Dame EVER did! (just my regional biases showing, of course! *grins*)

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
sucksn cause we wont get to beat Nebraska....Hook Em' Horns!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
As academic institutions, neither UT nor A&M, have anything in common with the SEC schools outside Vandy and Florida. I wish they had gone to the Big 10, which technically is now the Big 12, and while they had 11 schools for many years they carried on calling themselves the Big 10, so what is the Big 12-2 gonna call itself - the Actual Big 10, the Little 12?

Football and tv revenues - real and imagined - has driven this media fracas, and will continue to do so. The BCS era is dying and a national play-off is coming and four 16 team mega-conferences will be the wave of the future. I give this idiot compromise of the Little 12 or the Numerically Correct Big 10 a maximum of 5 years.

Last edited by homeinatx; 06-16-2010 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas