Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
''Beautiful'' would be the Oregon Coast, The Cascades, Sierra Nevada, Redwood Country, the strip of the Rocky Mountains from Colorado to Banff, eastern TN / west NC, Shenandoah, Vermont, inland Alaska.

NE Texas (and the Hill Country) are nice, but IMO don't hold a candle to those areas as far as beauty goes. Hence, "Texas standards."
i wholeheartedly disagree. mountainous is not synonymous with beautiful. those areas are indeed striking, but so is east texas in its own right. tall forests with lakes and rolling hills aren't beautiful? people from all over the country recognize the beauty of east texas. not just texans. it's all just a matter of personal perception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
I have been there driving thru so never have seen it. However, when we stopped there to get gas we bought a scratch-off ticket and I won $500. Whoo Hooo! That's a fun memory and the only time I ever played -- before or since -- the lottery.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
tall forests with lakes and rolling hills aren't beautiful?
But that's what all of those places I listed have, but they are much more dramatic than anything in east Texas, or even Texas as a whole. That's how I came up with "Nice" vs "beautiful".

True it is just a matter of opinion and for the record I still respect yours.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
But that's what all of those places I listed have, but they are much more dramatic than anything in east Texas, or even Texas as a whole. That's how I came up with "Nice" vs "beautiful".

True it is just a matter of opinion and for the record I still respect yours.
Those places you listed are all very beautiful and dramatic, but you're coming onto a forum and, in essence, putting down the OP's post about the beauty of the area. That's your right though and you're entitled to your opinion.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and those areas are just as beautiful as the areas you listed, although not as dramatic.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
Texarkana is pretty, for the most part, it does have more pine trees than Tyler,but not the different type of oaks, and maybe not all the azaleas like Tyler, and not sure if Tex has the crepe myrtles and knock out roses that are in full bloom over much of Tyler right now.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Texarkana is pretty, for the most part, it does have more pine trees than Tyler,but not the different type of oaks, and maybe not all the azaleas like Tyler, and not sure if Tex has the crepe myrtles and knock out roses that are in full bloom over much of Tyler right now.
yeah, texarkana doesn't have the azaleas and roses of tyler, and doesn't have the hilliness either. but when it comes to the trees, i have to give the edge to texarkana. aside from the azalea district in tyler, i've never seen neighborhoods in east texas as nice as the ones on the north side of texarkana. especially during fall

if you were to drop someone in any random place in town, they'd probably guess north carolina or tennessee before texas

Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
As far as trees go in Texarkana, The Woodlands is better.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
As far as trees go in Texarkana, The Woodlands is better.
yeah, but the woodlands was a master planned community. it was planned to look like that. on the other hand, the woodlands is mostly pines without many hardwoods and fall color like you get up in northeast texas

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 43,841 times
I think they do realize!!! And there is no one to blame but the residents.
I can't understand how anyone can think Texarkana is nice, let alone beautiful.
The whole town is decaying to dust and the locals just let it rot.
Think I'm kidding? Check out the pictures I took special just to respond to this
post. I'm sure some local person will come back saying I cherry picked, so
I'll just say right now...THIS IS NOT CHERRY PICKING. The only part of this
dying city that is not falling apart, dirty and decayed is right up on I-30.
In fact, most of the businesses moved to this location, its not new growth,
just moved businesses. Nothing of quality is going on here, its dead.

HUGE INDUSTRIAL PARK??? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING! Hardly anything is there!

for pictures of the fancy downtown, go here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-pictures.html

Last edited by Texarakna-is-icky; 08-31-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarakna-is-icky View Post
I think they do realize!!! And there is no one to blame but the residents.
I can't understand how anyone can think Texarkana is nice, let alone beautiful.
The whole town is decaying to dust and the locals just let it rot.
Think I'm kidding? Check out the pictures I took special just to respond to this
post. I'm sure some local person will come back saying I cherry picked, so
I'll just say right now...THIS IS NOT CHERRY PICKING. The only part of this
dying city that is not falling apart, dirty and decayed is right up on I-30.
In fact, most of the businesses moved to this location, its not new growth,
just moved businesses. Nothing of quality is going on here, its dead.

HUGE INDUSTRIAL PARK??? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING! Hardly anything is there!

for pictures of the fancy downtown, go here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-pictures.html
i saw the pictures, and there really isn't a city or town (especially down south) that doesn't have its areas of decay and blight. i am not from texarkana, but have been there, and those pictures do NOT represent what a majority of the city looks like. so in a sense, yes, you are cherry-picking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas