Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM

154 posts, read 630,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Hubby and I are looking to relocate from Charleston, SC. We adore New Mexico, but are now looking at Texas for a couple of reasons - the main one being that he's a Family Practice doctor who is already licensed in Texas. It's a HUGE headache to get licensed in another state, and takes months, so Texas is appealing for the ease of the move - plus there's no state income tax.

This is what we are like, warts and all (Sorry for the lengthiness):

We're both in our 40's, highly intelligent, very laid back. Hubby is Italian, but looks latino (with longish hair - Gasp!!). We're moderate-to-liberal politically. Moderate in that we dislike big government, socially liberal in that we think people ought to live like they darn well please and be happy. Narrow-minded people annoy me. Ignorant people annoy me. I read about 2 or three books a week, mostly "literary fiction". He's fond of physics and philosophy. We are sci-fi geeks to some extent. We live in blue jeans and sandals, but like getting dressed up for really fine dining on occasion. Wine is great, red is best. We're eco-conscious but not self-righteously so. We're hip -ish, but dislike that sort of self-conscious trendiness that is to be found in some (*cough - no offense) Californians. We adore Mid-century Modern houses, or the right cool 50's ranch in a pinch. You couldn't pay me to live in a McMansion in a gated community. Poor people don't frighten me. I like "walking" neighborhoods rather than primarily driving neighborhoods. I cannot live where I can't get good coffee, good sushi, or good bookstores. We have two teenagers, one boy one girl, 17 and 15. My daughter is a polite, friendly, respectful, straight A honor student with shocking pink hair and gauged earholes who is vocal in her political opinions.

So.....after all my net research, I'm thinking Austin is the place in Texas we'll best fit, with Dallas coming in second. What say you Texans? Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times
Go for Austin. Frankly, it's one of the few places in Texas where you are going to get a walking v. driving everywhere feel....althought that is relative. Face the facts, Texas cities are designed around cars and centers of sprawl. Austin is the closest you are going to get to a city feel.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,007 times
I'm surprised that it's going to be this long for you and your family to realise the Austin area is home!

I do have to note though, I find it odd that you shared about most of your family except your son, only because first born sons have doting mothers ready to gush about them first.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM

154 posts, read 630,885 times
LOL! Aw, he's a sweetie, but one of those who can get along anywhere. His sister is the one who looks a little odd to some people. :-)

Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM

Odd is relative and in Austin the benchmark has to be the ability to top Leslie. There are some decisions that fall into place because of how easy it is to make them, this is probably one of them. Doctors are never going to want for work and with the growth of this area, there surely is a demand. Visit, enjoy the experience, call the movers...

Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,499 times
Austin first,San Antonio second.Normally I would recommend it the other way,but you guys sound more like Austinites.Sushi?Well,good luck in Texas.We call it fish bait here.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
So.....after all my net research, I'm thinking Austin is the place in Texas we'll best fit, with Dallas coming in second. What say you Texans? Am I right?

I agree....Austin looks like your best fit!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,098 times
BTW, Maiko on 6th is a pretty good place for sushi. Good sushi bar and pretty good sake. Whole Foods also has good fresh sushi.

Stick with Austin.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,174 times
No doubt about it, Austin is the place for you. It will fit you like a glove.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:59 AM

I forgot to add that there's this huge medical city being built in Round Rock which will have four hospitals I believe and a couple of colleges all in the same area. That particular area is surrounded by everything you could possibly want from housing, schools, shopping to whatever recreation activity it is you want to indulge in. Bowling, skating, golf, hike and bike trails, fishing in a couple of man made and natural lakes and rivers, sailing(?), gigantic parks, after all this is TX, and two major highways to allow a quick getaway if the urge hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas