Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,571,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
As far as the whole climate issue, the somewhat lower humidity was one factor. But once it hits the upper 90s or hotter, you might as well just say its hot in my opinion.

Another thing, and maybe the statistics are overduing this:

On city-data, it says that the average torando actiivity is 5% above the national average in San Angelo, but Abilene is 118% above the national average. I know the odds of having a direct hit by a tornado are quite rare, but do these numbers indicate that Abilene has a much greater amount of severe storms in general? It is hard to believe that things would vary that much 90 miles apart.
I think the difference is caused by San Angelo's location. It seems to be just out of the way enough that it is not affected by the warm and cool air masses that collide violently to form the severe weather that Tornado Alley is infamous for. It still gets its share of storms though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You didn't really understand my comment. You have brought up the comfort index thing before, so I knew it was referring to summer weather. Let me rephrase: "Their summers are pretty much the same, so I would assume the OP is referring to San Angelo having slightly warmer winters and being less prone to severe weather."
Thanks for the clarification. You're the best!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
I was stationed (AF) at both San Angelo and Abilene in the early to mid-70's. However, I have been back to both cities a couple of times during the last few years.

To me climate was about the same; however, I do remember more severe weather in Abilene (I did live longer in Abilene). If I had to choose, I would go with San Angelo for the beautiful Concho River downtown, Lake Nasworthy, and it's closer to the Texas Hill Country.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
As far as the whole climate issue, the somewhat lower humidity was one factor. But once it hits the upper 90s or hotter, you might as well just say its hot in my opinion.

Another thing, and maybe the statistics are overduing this:

On city-data, it says that the average torando actiivity is 5% above the national average in San Angelo, but Abilene is 118% above the national average. I know the odds of having a direct hit by a tornado are quite rare, but do these numbers indicate that Abilene has a much greater amount of severe storms in general? It is hard to believe that things would vary that much 90 miles apart.

I am nervous about having to look for an apartment in July, because you would expect to be in the company of many college students looking for apartments too. I have learned that the newspapers are not good sources in these cities for apartment listings, at least not their websites. You really need to contact the properties it seems. A publication called "The Renter" has proven very helpful in San Angelo. Any thought on which city might have more vacancies would be appreciated?
That's very surprising to me on the 5% above in San Angelo. It makes it sound like a Texas safe-haven.

Right now at 5:00 p.m. central time...

Abilene ... 97 degrees, heat index 98 degrees ... 32% humidity ... dew point 62

San Angelo ... 102 degrees, heat index 105 degrees ... 30% humidity ... dew point 64

to both locations ...

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 06-19-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 PM

65 posts, read 217,726 times
There both nice towns, pretty similar in size, weather, feel and location. I'd have to go with San Angelo though. Abilene has slightly more retail & restaurants, but not very much more that I would consider it important.San Angelo has most of the same national chains you find elsewhere, and some great local ones. Both of them have colleges but there student body is low compared to total population so neither have the same vibe as College Station which basically exists to because of the school. I think the main reason I choose San Angelo would be the Concho river, I really love the miles of parks that wind along it throughout the city. The lake is pretty nice as well. I also just prefer the layout of the city and it seems to have a laid back atmosphere I just don't feel in Abilene.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,524 times
Quote:
I will be transferring with my job in 6 weeks, and have been given the choice of Abilene or San Angelo. I need to give my decision on Tuesday.

I know a lot about both places, but am still torn which one to choose. I am looking for any insight that I might have missed that would maybe help me choose.

Here is what I see in each city as positive differences:

Abilene
More retail and restaurant choices
More things to do - museums, zoo, theaters
Easy interstate access
Appears to be adding more businesses where as San Angelo seems to have lost some.

San Angelo
Somewhat cheaper and more plentiful rental options
Somewhat better climate
More relaxed
Better walking/biking trail and lakes
I know the city better; been there more often

So here are a few questions. Does one city seem friendlier or more welcoming to an outsider? I know both cities have colleges. Do either feel like more of a "college town" like say College Station? (this is something I don't want) Which city seems to have a brighter future?

I believe I would be happy in both, but have to choose.
Having lived in both towns,although a native of SA until moving away to the DFW area a few years ago,I would say San Angelo hands down.There is not a ton of difference between the two,but Angelo has the lakes and a nice river,is probably a little more laid back,and is comfortable with what it is,a mid sized west Texas town.Fredericksburg,Austin,San Antonio,and the coast are all closer from San Angelo.In addition,San Angelo has one of the top rodeos in the nation every February.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
I'll also agree with San Angelo, but for a different reason that anyone else... Abilene's 3 colleges are all private, Christian schools, and as a result, Abilene is VERY church-based. The town practically dries up at sunset on Saturday and doesn't reawaken until Monday morning. Restaurants are closed, etc. Unless you are extremely religious, too, you will probably get really sick of this! San Angelo, however, remains vibrant all week long, Yes, church is important there, too, but not nearly to the degree that it is in Abilene.

My husband and I are both Angelo State alumni, and we lived in San Angelo for 3 years after we graduated. IMHO, San Angelo has better restaurants and shopping overall. That being said, my favorite BBQ place in all of Texas: Harold's Pit BBQ, is in Abilene next to City Lumber. Mmmm!

BOTH cities actually have excellent rodeos: San Angelo's Stock Show in the spring and Abilene's West Texas Fair in the fall. I've been to both many times!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
I work at Goodfellow in San Angelo. Rentals are tight unless you want to live in an apartment complex. House and condo/duplex rentals are pricey, about what I was paying for an apartment in the south Seattle area, unless you want to live in sketchy neighborhood. As far as complexes go, I wouldn't worry about the students unless you plan to rent where are the college kids are. Stay away from where the college kids rent (and the price will drive them out) and you should be okay.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I'll also agree with San Angelo, but for a different reason that anyone else... Abilene's 3 colleges are all private, Christian schools, and as a result, Abilene is VERY church-based. The town practically dries up at sunset on Saturday and doesn't reawaken until Monday morning. Restaurants are closed, etc. Unless you are extremely religious, too, you will probably get really sick of this! San Angelo, however, remains vibrant all week long, Yes, church is important there, too, but not nearly to the degree that it is in Abilene.

My husband and I are both Angelo State alumni, and we lived in San Angelo for 3 years after we graduated. IMHO, San Angelo has better restaurants and shopping overall. That being said, my favorite BBQ place in all of Texas: Harold's Pit BBQ, is in Abilene next to City Lumber. Mmmm!

BOTH cities actually have excellent rodeos: San Angelo's Stock Show in the spring and Abilene's West Texas Fair in the fall. I've been to both many times!
Yeah,nothing else comes close to Harold's.Even down to the cornbread and cobbler.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM

25 posts, read 82,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I'll also agree with San Angelo, but for a different reason that anyone else... Abilene's 3 colleges are all private, Christian schools, and as a result, Abilene is VERY church-based.
I'd choose San Angelo also, and this example from ChristieP would be a major reason for me. The other reasons that I'd choose San Angelo are that I prefer the lower humidity levels, the trails, the landscape, and the older building. Yes, the town looks a bit older in my opinion, but I like that. I also like Post, TX for that reason, but Post also has a high percentage of people that attend church regularly. I moved to Austin to live around the un-churched types, but I do miss living in small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas