Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times

Advertisements

You're going to keep hearing the Texas is Texas line because you honestly cannot pigeonhole the state into one region. Also, there are many Texans out there that refuses to believe they are Southern or have anything in common with the Deep South. Believe me, I've met quite a few of them.

But back to the pigeonhole thing. Historically and TexasReb has made this point literally millions of time on here, the majority of the state identified themselves as Southernerns. However, I think it starting to fade a bit in West Texas and it is all about gone in South Texas below Interstate 10 or maybe Victoria. The demographics which is basically the Latino population has changed so much in the past 20-30 years that anyone that moved away from there 40 years ago and come back to visit any town South of I-10, they wouldn't recognize the culture of the area. Hell, most of the adherents are now Catholics and it is starting to become the majority in Harris County as well.

When you look at it, Texas is a region of it's own. But it's still essentially a Southern state. How long will that last? I cannot tell you.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're going to keep hearing the Texas is Texas line because you honestly cannot pigeonhole the state into one region. Also, there are many Texans out there that refuses to believe they are Southern or have anything in common with the Deep South. Believe me, I've met quite a few of them.

But back to the pigeonhole thing. Historically and TexasReb has made this point literally millions of time on here, the majority of the state identified themselves as Southernerns. However, I think it starting to fade a bit in West Texas and it is all about gone in South Texas below Interstate 10 or maybe Victoria. The demographics which is basically the Latino population has changed so much in the past 20-30 years that anyone that moved away from there 40 years ago and come back to visit any town South of I-10, they wouldn't recognize the culture of the area. Hell, most of the adherents are now Catholics and it is starting to become the majority in Harris County as well.

When you look at it, Texas is a region of it's own. But it's still essentially a Southern state. How long will that last? I cannot tell you.
it'll last as long as we want it to. like i've said before on here numerous times, a bunch of illegals invaded a place does not magically erase its southernness.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it'll last as long as we want it to. like i've said before on here numerous times, a bunch of illegals invaded a place does not magically erase its southernness.
I'm not talking about illegals. I'm talking about legals and legally, Hispanics are about to become the largest group in Texas. They are already the 2nd largest group by a very very large margin.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,436,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I hearby move that Texas, Florida, Arkansas, Louisiana, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky are no longer southern. All who agree say I.

:looks around with blank stare:
LOL!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about illegals. I'm talking about legals and legally, Hispanics are about to become the largest group in Texas. They are already the 2nd largest group by a very very large margin.
but the fact of the matter is that texas' rapidly growing hispanic population is due in large part to the illegals. not those coming here legally

Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
but the fact of the matter is that texas' rapidly growing hispanic is due in large part to the illegals. not those coming here legally
But the fact of the matter is legally, the Hispanic population of Texas is the largest minority group in the state. It isn't close. The impact is going to get larger as well. There are under 3 million Blacks in Texas. There are just under 9 million Hispanics legally in Texas and it is going to get wider. With a margin that wide, it really does not matter how many illegals are here.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
But the fact of the matter is legally, the Hispanic population of Texas is the largest minority group in the state. It isn't close. The impact is going to get larger as well. There are under 3 million Blacks in Texas. There are just under 9 million Hispanics legally in Texas and it is going to get wider. With a margin that wide, it really does not matter how many illegals are here.
i understand all of that. my point is that the only reason why the demographics of our cities are changing so drastically is because of the illegals. if it were only legals, houston and dallas would not have the same demographics they have today.

point being, it's the illegals that are making the big impact

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,508,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
TX definitely feels more western than southern. Sure there are a few spots in TX that feel southern, but as a whole? TX is definitely more western in appearance/feel.
Topographically, yes, many parts of Texas more resemble the "west" than the southeast, but when did that become the defining quality as to the definition of the South?

And actually, it is more plains than desert SW or Mountain West in appearance, anyway. So does the fact large parts of Kansas more resemble Texas than Ohio remove Kansas from the Midwest? Or place it in the same historical and cultural region as Texas?

Texas IS (mostly)western, as opposed to "eastern", but not part of the West. Nebraska is "western" but not part of the West. Alabama is "eastern" but not part of the "East" as generally understood. On the other hand, Colorado is the West. And Massachusetts is the East.

There is the "west" of the frontier (post-bellum settlment and new style of life) and the West as a coherent region today. Texas is very much part of the former, but not at all of the latter. The characteristics that distinguish it (Texas) from the Rocky Mountain West and interior SW are extremely broad. Texas is Southern in most of the important catagories and by self-identification.

By the same token, Southern states like Alabama and Tennessee (deliberately used because they furnished the largest numbers of newcomers to Texas) have superficial characteristics with the eastern Midwest and northeast. But they are not of the same region generally regarded as East (i.e. northeastern states).

I just wish that next time somebody says Texas (most of it, as we all know about Texas large size) is western, that they do more than list certain superficial characteristics which matter no more than northern Alabama having similarities with coal-mining areas of Pennsylvania in terms of an articulate grouping of states into traditional regions. Texas has no more in common with Colorado or Wyoming in that sense than Tennessee does with Ohio.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Moving to Dallas from the Southeastern U.S. (Georgia). There isnt a lot about Dallas that is southern. If you go east of Dallas you definitely have more of a southern feel. That is a very small area of the Texas though.
I have yet to meet someone here that has called themselves a southerner. Its always "Texan".
Me having lived in Austin, and NOW live in the Southeast(Charlotte NC) I must agree with this. The most PROUDLY Southerner Texans I've met were from DEEP Northeast Texas. Everyone else seems to take a more TEXAN identity.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
how much time have you spent in south dallas?

and EAST TEXAS is no "very small area". it's one huge chunk of the state that is culturally more akin to the southeast than it is to the rest of texas

File:East Texas map.PNG - Wikimedia Commons
See, MOST of the Texas Triangle lies in the areas that are "debatable" territory. While Houston is the only city that actually lies in an undoubtedly Culturally Southern region of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas