Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
And how many times did that happen? More or less than the number of innocent people executed?
Two that immediately come to mind are Ted Bundy and Kenneth McDuff's crimes. Now, name two innocent people executed? (I gave you an extra one. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM

423 posts, read 823,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Now, name two innocent people executed? (I gave you an extra one. )
I listed them in my response to TexasHorseLady on a previous page.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I listed them in my response to TexasHorseLady on a previous page.
I read it. And not a single blurb provides any evidence that the convicted party was innocent. It is pretty much an anti-capital punishment site that ignores the contrary evidence of guilt. Particularly in the David Spence case (The Lake Waco murders, and later the subject of a book titled "Careless Whispers").

I want to once again make it clear that the possibility of an innocent person being executed is the one thing that troubles me most about the death penalty. But I maintain that it is very remote (especially today with DNA science) and no one ever seems to come up with names and actual facts conclusively proved as to innocent people executed. Whereas, on the contrary, innocent people have been killed by the failure to assure the scum amongst us are not given their just due.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Here's a timely bit of news today, albeit not in Texas - and the DA (in Pennsylvania) is calling for the death penalty for THIS murder by someone who was on parole after serving 15 years of a 20 year sentence for a prior murder and murdered 4 people over this past weekend.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 AM

127 posts, read 277,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Is revenge just part of the culture there? Is it a left-over of the Wild West mentality? Is it their type of Christianity?
why should only the victim get the death penalty?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
I think there needs to be some sort of death penalty reform. I would not be against it if we could make it where the only crimes eligable for capital punishment have DNA evidence.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Charles Manson- is he executed? No, but he is being punished for what he has done.

What makes anyone any different than the people they are executing if they want to see that person dead either way? There is no difference. Just send them to ADX Florence, where Richard Reid currently calls home, and Enron's CFO. Trust me they'll hate life and their crimes after that- and they won't be dead.

ADX Florence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, TexasReb- I recommend this movie to you "The Life of David Gale". I have seen the movie and I found it to be very educational & it was so worth the time. I liked it. Look into watching that movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_of_David_Gale

Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Because some crimes are way beyond what 'civilized' society is about. As MMatt indicated, what normal person would rape and kill a 9 year old, and how do you rehab that? Sometimes the genetic material is poorly programmed.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
what normal person would rape and kill a 9 year old, .
Someone actually did that?!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What makes anyone any different than the people they are executing if they want to see that person dead either way? There is no difference.
You really don't see the difference between snatching a young woman who is washing her car, raping and murdering her, with her having absolutely no chance to defend herself, and doing this repeatedly, or killing someone, being imprisoned for it, getting out, and killing four people (three members of a family and the neighbor who tried to help), just to use two examples that have already been given in this thread, and executing someone after an extended trial (usually more than one, over a period of years, counting appeals) during which the accused has professional representation (good or bad, at least it exists), when a jury of their peers (as much as one CAN be a peer to a murderer, of course) has reviewed the evidence and determined that that person is guilty of taking the life of another person, during all of which the murderer gets to stay alive and seek to protect himself, and has a CHANCE of getting out eventually even if convicted? Really?

Can you point out to me, then, how these are exactly the same, please?

As for ADX Florence, how much do you think it would cost to confine every convicted murderer in this country for the rest of their natural lives? Also, explain to me how it is better to sentence someone to solitary confinement 22-24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year, for the rest of their natural lives, with no hope of parole (which would be the only way it would be a reasonable solution to the problem that you see and are suggesting it as a solution to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas