Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM

363 posts, read 2,020,213 times

Advertisements

No, No! I'm not really complaining. This is our first summer here "in Abilene" and really, it's much better than where we lived prior-(Tampa, FL).

I just have a BURNING question. WHEN, the heck, is it gonna cool off?

We got here in October of last year and it was beautiful. Frosty in the mornings... Colder than most of the entire winter in FL... We loved it!!!

Please, can someone tell me WHEN it actually starts to cool off again.

Also, this winter, it did not snow in Abilene, but 18 miles out, (where we are living) -it snowed twice! It didn't stick, but it was fantastic! My question reguarding that is; The other day, a woman told me that sometimes this area will have a white Christmas (or snow in the winter) and sometimes they are wearing SHORTS! Please, oh please tell me she was not accurate. I hated warm winters in FL and based on what we had here last year... I thought this area would be a new and wonderful thing (in terms of cold weather). Does anyone have the answers that I want to hear??? Just kidding. Can anyone clear this up for me? Much oblidged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 06:28 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,004,123 times
It will generally start cooling off around the middle of September for west Texas.The last 2 years have been cooler than usual summers,this year is more the norm.White Christmas's are rare.Snow,period, is rare,and only stays on the ground for a couple of days average.Christmas can run anywhere from a cold day to one in the 60's,or even 70's.There just isn't any telling.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM

806 posts, read 2,885,005 times
The seasons in Texas are hot and not so hot with the occasional blustery/wintry day thrown into the mix to fool you into thinking that there's a change in season ...I particularly enjoy the warm weather winter so I can take pictures in shorts and t-shirts to send to family and friends out east when they're getting pummeled.
As for when it's going to cool down, only Mother Nature can answer that one. It could stay warm through October and into mid-November for all anyone knows. I’ve seen 80+ Thanksgiving days. It could start getting chilly in September with the occasional warm day. As I’ve heard it said, if you don’t like the current weather, stick around and it will change soon enough.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
It will generally start cooling off around Halloween. September in WT can be just as hot as July. A White Christmas is as scarce as hen's teeth, and ANY snow is a sight to behold, LOL!!! One year we had a record 10 inches in Midland, but that's NOT common.

If you wanted really cold winters, Texas is not the place for it in most years.

The heat is among the reasons I am looking to go north/northwest. I hate it more every year. Otherwise, TX is great, and I love it!

Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
It will generally start cooling off around the middle of September for west Texas.The last 2 years have been cooler than usual summers,this year is more the norm.White Christmas's are rare.Snow,period, is rare,and only stays on the ground for a couple of days average.Christmas can run anywhere from a cold day to one in the 60's,or even 70's.There just isn't any telling.
O.K. Well, 60's or 70's isn't even as warm as many TMPA/FL Christmas Days. Down there, we were lucky to have those numbers some winters. When you say snow can last for a couple of days, I get so excited. I saw snow once in FL in the 70's. It was in the A.M and all gone by 10 or something. This answer is fine for me. I really have enjoyed the weather here. Who knows? Maybe we will luck out and get a crazy, flukey snowstorm. At least it's more likely than FL!

Old 07-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister
The seasons in Texas are hot and not so hot with the occasional blustery/wintry day thrown into the mix to fool you into thinking that there's a change in season ...I particularly enjoy the warm weather winter so I can take pictures in shorts and t-shirts to send to family and friends out east when they're getting pummeled.
As for when it's going to cool down, only Mother Nature can answer that one. It could stay warm through October and into mid-November for all anyone knows. I’ve seen 80+ Thanksgiving days. It could start getting chilly in September with the occasional warm day. As I’ve heard it said, if you don’t like the current weather, stick around and it will change soon enough.
That's funny. A life time Texan said that same thing to us when we first arrived. I have to say though, warm is an objective term What I consider warm, you may not. Same goes for cold. Like I said, last year in October, there was frost on the ground many a morning here in North Central TX! And, it did snow two times... It was the best, "coldest", snowiest winter my family has ever had! To someone coming from the north, I would sound silly. But anyone who grew up in central FL would understand me ... I think??? I just hope it does that or better again... I'm glad that September has hope! Thanks!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that September has hope! Thanks!

September will not get you down into the 70's,but generally by mid September the highs are starting to get 10-15 degrees below July/August highs.But a couple of years ago it was still in the 100's almost to October.I thought that summer would never end.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 PM

NOOO! I am going to be in denial over this. I know you are VERY wise about Texas... But, I think I'll die if that happens... It will be too much to bear if I have chosen an area of the U.S. that could be HOTTER than FL in the winter...

Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Hot in the winter?No,but sometimes summer can hang on until late September.September 21 is the official first day of Fall,and sometimes it takes that long for the temps to start dropping into the 80's.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Hot in the winter?No,but.......

LOL!!! Well, I guess it depends on what you consider hot??

We had 80 degrees daily for days running in January of this year--Midland.

I HATED it.

It snowed Dec 15, a few wonderful inches, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Then, it was all downhill from there when it warmed back up fast.

We've also had Feb with 90s....... :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas