Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 PM

102 posts, read 584,701 times

Advertisements

Well I've cooled off a little on Abeliene probably due to the comments on the religious cult, considering Waco's not so recent history in that regard, I'm wondering what it is like now. It looks like a nice enough city from the pictures and what I see on the web. Pardon my ignorance but is that the home of Baylor U? I haven't really seen much posted about it. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,784,485 times
probably due to the comments on the religious cult

And those comments were largely ignorant and unfounded. So Abilene has 3 denominational universities--it's a nice place to live, and the people are friendly.

Yes, Waco is home to Baylor, a Baptist university.

It's a nice city, too. If the government hadn't stuck its unwelcome nose where it was not wanted, nobody would have ever heard of wackjob Koresh.

You can find religious nutjobs any place--and Texas is no different.

MOST of us here are friendly--and tend to mind our own business!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:21 AM

364 posts, read 1,414,508 times
I live in Temple, about 30 miles south of Waco. It is a nice town and one of the places I would live if I ever move. Yes, Baylor U. is in Waco, and yes, it is a private Baptist university. No, not everyone who attends BU is Baptist, or even Christian. Waco has plenty of non-religious folks, just like any other town.

The Branch Davidians were not located in Waco, but Waco was the largest town that the media could make a connection with, so it stuck. Very unfair, but we are talking about the national media, so "fair" is a relative word. In any case, you will not find any evidence of the 1993 event there unless you really look for it and dig around. No body there wants to make it a holiday. It is a page in history now.

What sort of information did you receive on religious cults in Abilene? It is a larger town than Waco and again, to label every person there as a religious nut would be very wrong. I like Abilene. Don't remove it from your list just yet. Waco is much closer to the center of the state in terms of population (ie, closer to D/FW, Austin, San Antonio and Houston) and will have milder weather. I would chose Waco over Abilene, but not by much.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM

437 posts, read 2,230,902 times
The only thing I heard about Waco was that it had a very bad tornado go through it and it killed three people.

This morning on the news, this poor woman got busted in the head with a bottle over the county at a liquor store. That was't to nice. Other than that, I haven't heard a thing.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,985,955 times
Quote:
Well I've cooled off a little on Abeliene probably due to the comments on the religious cult,
The info you were given on Abilene is complete BS,and the guy that gave it to you didn't have a clue what he was talking about.I lived there,still have many family members there,and what you were told was a lie.Waco is fine,but to rule out Abilene over someone's BS statements would unnecessarily rule out a good town.Abilene actually does have a little religious cult,I think the call themselves the House of Yawheh,in which every member changes his last name to Hawkins,after the founder of the cult.Probably runs about 100 people.But the other 115,900 people there think they're goofy and avoid them.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:06 PM

102 posts, read 584,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX
Yes, Baylor U. is in Waco, and yes, it is a private Baptist university. No, not everyone who attends BU is Baptist, or even Christian. Waco has plenty of non-religious folks, just like any other town.
Having a university in your town a good thing IMHO (even if the students are tipping over cows ) no slam on Baylor was intended because they are Baptist based. They could use a better football team though.

Quote:
The Branch Davidians were not located in Waco, but Waco was the largest town that the media could make a connection with, so it stuck.
I didn’t know that, sounds like Waco got a bad rap.

Quote:
What sort of information did you receive on religious cults in Abilene? Rick
My concern was not with any of the church schools in Abilene I am fine with those, but with the FLDS and Warren Jeffs, which IMO is cult type of religion. I know that does'nt mean Abilene is a bad town, it is just one factor to consider with all the others.

Well looks like I’ll be headed to Texas in September. I’m only going to be there for 3 or 4 days so I don’t know how far I’ll get, but I’d like to see the hill country and maybe San Angelo and I will check out Abilene, if I get that far.

Any suggestions for a good BBQ place in or around hill country?

Thanks
Dale

Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,985,955 times
Quote:
My concern was not with any of the church schools in Abilene I am fine with those, but with the FLDS and Warren Jeffs, which IMO is cult type of religion. I know that does'nt mean Abilene is a bad town, it is just one factor to consider with all the others.
Warren Jeffs isn't anywhere near Abilene.He is just outside of Eldorado,which is about 150 miles south of Abilene.The place doesn't even affect life in Eldorado,aside from a little bit more media attention.The people stay on the compound,and the law enforcement keeps a very close eye out for Jeffs.They would love to be the guys that arrest a person on the American top ten most wanted list.He won't stand a chance if he is ever spotted.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 678,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
...My concern was not with any of the church schools in Abilene I am fine with those, but with the FLDS and Warren Jeffs, which IMO is cult type of religion...
Rainbird, I'm in St. George, UT right now (I'm not Mormon) and there are a lot of FLDS people who come into St. George from neighboring Colorado City, AZ (formerly Big Creek) where the FLDS church moved to several years and is now based predominantly.

Like you, I don't personally agree with their religious views, but...I can tell you they are a very closed society and for the most part, they keep to themselves. They dress very modestly, work very hard, and for the most part they are very polite and well-mannered. Aside from seeing them in the stores, they pretty much stay isolated.

Yes, Warren Jeffs is a nutcase and even some of the people who are running the FLDS "church" now (since Jeffs is missing) have commented on this. Jeffs split because he's wanted by the FBI...and I think some of the followers are now beginning to understand what's really going on. Some, maybe not all.

Anyway, FWIW, I think the FLDS are harmless.

And one thing they don't do is go door to door to try to convert people (like Mormons or JW's do)...and IMO this is a good thing...

Old 09-17-2006, 01:19 PM

332 posts, read 446,150 times
Well I've lived in Waco my whole life,and its not a bad place to live, nice people,great scenery(in some parts), and more,but its boring to me cause I'm a teenager and theres not much to do for kids my age,but I mean its a pretty cool place to live

Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,601,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lookin View Post
The only thing I heard about Waco was that it had a very bad tornado go through it and it killed three people.

This morning on the news, this poor woman got busted in the head with a bottle over the county at a liquor store. That was't to nice. Other than that, I haven't heard a thing.
Which one.....in my lifetime theres been 2. The BIG ONE (before my time) was in 1953. I killed 114 and leveled Downtown Waco with the exception of a few buildings.

Waco Tornado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas