Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in Texas?
Austin 28 21.71%
Dallas 33 25.58%
El Paso 2 1.55%
Fort Worth 4 3.10%
Houston 82 63.57%
San Antonio 7 5.43%
Midland 1 0.78%
Corpus Christi 1 0.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Which Texas City will get the next supertall, and why do you think so? Give explanation for your answer.

I normally search things like this when I can't go to sleep. 2008, they proposed a 89 story building for Uptown Houston, they haven't canceled that idea yet but it's been dormant for 2 years now.
The developer was from Dubai, and he purchased the land there and wanted to make that building.

I know the liklihood of that one being built is minimal to zero, doesn't take a genius to know that.

But with plans like that always coming up, it's always really fun to talk about skyscrapers, IMHO and speculate. This thread is for all the other architecture/skyscraper-a-holics, if you don't like it, please refrain from posting.

Anyways my summary:
If plans like that do keep pushing into the surface and keep coming up, it's only a matter of years until someone takes it and drives it into a vision and a work of art is born and made.
I have seen two supertall proposals for Houston in the past 2 years alone... that is enough for me to think that when the city economically stabilizes and fixes it's vacancy rates that it will put some of these plans to action especially with the population boom and being the only centralized city in it's metropolitan area- thus need to attract people to the inner city and densify where all the jobs are at.

Rendering of the supertall that would've been (for Houston): The plan isn't dead, but I highly doubt it will happen.
http://www.kobikarp.com/images/houston1.jpg (broken link)

So which city in Texas do you feel is going to be first to get the next supertall? And anyone else got any rendering or information to share of other proposed/canceled supertalls for any of these cities in their history? We might as well share all that could've been right here. It's cool talking about buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Houston maybe Austin.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston maybe Austin.
Funny you mention Austin. Check this out. (Props to bgrn for showing me)

Stakeholders plan future of downtown districts (http://impactnews.com/central-austin/283-news/8814-stakeholders-plan-future-of-downtown-districts - broken link)

The city of Austin is taking it's infrastructure seriously now and trying to bulk up on their downtown. It's a good sign for them as this article is only a few days- few weeks old.

Trinity River Project for Fort Worth will work wonders for them too on highrise development and building boom. I have a feeling on that after watching their video, but probably a long way from a supertall for sure for Fort Worth.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
No Mentone? Pfft. No Vote.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
I voted for the cities I have a feeling no one else will vote for. But since I like Dallas a lot, I hope it starts bulking up! That plan for Austin looks nice.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I voted for the cities I have a feeling no one else will vote for. But since I like Dallas a lot, I hope it starts bulking up! That plan for Austin looks nice.
I voted for them all just because I know no one would touch El Paso, Fort Worth, San Antonio, & maybe Austin on the poll.

So I voted for them all. Yeahhhh that Austin development plan calls for the doubling of downtown, to double the amount of office space they have and to triple the amount of buildings they already have.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
I really love the plans for Austin, but I doubt it'll get a supertall anytime soon. It's going to be either Dallas or Houston.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
I can see Houston getting one in Uptown, since it's not under a flight path. Both Downtown Houston and Dallas can't, since they are directly under flight paths. I don't know what other skyline in the Dallas area would look good with a supertall. I'd stick out like a sore thumb anywhere else, but Downtown.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
I really love the plans for Austin, but I doubt it'll get a supertall anytime soon. It's going to be either Dallas or Houston.
Yeah, I don't think they're get a supertall. But they are vastly improving their downtown, and at a fast rate.

It's good for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I can see Houston getting one in Uptown, since it's not under a flight path. Both Downtown Houston and Dallas can't, since they are directly under flight paths. I don't know what other skyline in the Dallas area would look good with a supertall. I'd stick out like a sore thumb anywhere else, but Downtown.
Isn't Houston's Uptown already not balanced with some spaces open and one tower being like a lot taller than the others. All of them are good height, just one stands out quite a lot.

Yeah, both the supertalls I read about were planned for Uptown Houston, none for downtown itself.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
not if it was built in the high-5 area.....it would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas