Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
TexasReb ... I know I can't ever make you understand how I feel about things and I do respect your feelings and knowledge but until one has walked in another person's shoes, one may not grasp the entire scenario too well. Of course, it really doesn't matter. We all have different experiences and opinions, and I guess that's what makes the world go around.
Actually, I do understand your position (or try to!), but just do not always agree with it. I certainly respect it and you and I have always cussed and discussed in a friendly and civil manner! It just really comes down to that our respective experiences and outlooks are different. Probably involving -- in many ways -- we come from different states which, as you said, are very different historically and culturally.

To end for now, I confess I can't see why you would have reservations about the widespread use of "sir" and "ma'am" (if I read that right! LOL) in Texas/South.

And no, I am not looking forward to going back to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Looks like my kind of thread, but I missed a lot. lol I have some good reading to look forward to.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
To end for now, I confess I can't see why you would have reservations about the widespread use of "sir" and "ma'am" (if I read that right! LOL) in Texas/South.
It's kind of like popping a top on a beer can or even a soda can for that matter. It reminds me of the days my dad drank too much ... makes me cringe. I've often observed bad experiences with the "sir" and "ma'am" words since living in Texas. If someone uses that terminology with me, depending on who it is, it's okay. Without going into details, let's just say it's often terribly phony and something to me like fingernails on a blackboard. I don't expect anyone to understand it, but I'm sure we all have things, words, expressions, et al that we don't like or that "rubs us the wrong way."

Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM

78 posts, read 247,448 times
I hate California, and I'm from Texas. When I was about 5, my family drove to California for vacation, and all along the traffic on the highways in California, people were honking and yelling at us "stupid rednecks to get the hell out of here" whenever they saw our Texas Plates. When these jerks waved guns at us my parents made my lay on the seat and close my eyes. THATS why I hate California.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcallen Kid View Post
I hate California, and I'm from Texas. When I was about 5, my family drove to California for vacation, and all along the traffic on the highways in California, people were honking and yelling at us "stupid rednecks to get the hell out of here" whenever they saw our Texas Plates. When these jerks waved guns at us my parents made my lay on the seat and close my eyes. THATS why I hate California.
Yikes! That's quite a story and it's hard to believe but if you say it happened, it must have. Where in CA were you traveling?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Yikes! That's quite a story and it's hard to believe but if you say it happened, it must have. Where in CA were you traveling?
Oh, I have no doubt that it happened. I have been called a "hillbilly," "hick" and "red-neck" by Californians, despite having an advanced college degree and career commensurate with my education and experience. I have a perfectly flat affect and don't use the regional "ya'll." The reason they called me these names? I live in Texas. Duh! So I must be dumber than dirt!

Creepily enough, the Californians in question hadn't even received a high school diploma. Apparently, just living in California makes one "intelligent" by some sort of bizarre osmosis. Gee, and to think I wasted all that time at university when I could have simply moved to Venice Beach!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
They wanted you to be more like Squeaky Fromme, O.J. and Patricia Hearst.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Oh, I have no doubt that it happened. I have been called a "hillbilly," "hick" and "red-neck" by Californians, despite having an advanced college degree and career commensurate with my education and experience. I have a perfectly flat affect and don't use the regional "ya'll." The reason they called me these names? I live in Texas. Duh! So I must be dumber than dirt!

Creepily enough, the Californians in question hadn't even received a high school diploma. Apparently, just living in California makes one "intelligent" by some sort of bizarre osmosis. Gee, and to think I wasted all that time at university when I could have simply moved to Venice Beach!
I guess the majority of people in today's world are just jerks and very stupid. Of course, we just can't fix stupid. It's here to stay. Intelligence isn't gained by going to school anyway. I know many with college degrees who lack terribly in that category and many with only a high school education who are quite bright. I truly believe one is either intelligent or one is not. Of course, that's a topic for another conversation.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Creepily enough, the Californians in question hadn't even received a high school diploma.
Judging a state by what some high school drop outs said does not make that much sense.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Actually, one would think that choosing to live in California now would indicate a more limited intelligence. Redneck for living in Texas? Fine, whatever. At least my economic future isn't in severe jeopardy and my overall quality of life isn't as compromised as it would be living in urban California. Nice place to visit, but the people can be ****e.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas