Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 AM

216 posts, read 442,952 times

Advertisements

This thread =

As stated earlier in the thread, many people are not coming to Texas for the weather and scenery. We're a nation in economic distress and many people are forced to leave behind their roots and move to a place that is entirely different from what they're used to. I haven't personally seen any "hate" from Californians, although I'm sure there is some. I have a few friends now who are native Californians and they couldn't be any nicer and more appreciative of their new home in the metroplex.

It also goes both ways. I think sometimes we as Texans like to play up these outdated stereotypes of how nice, friendly, and welcoming we are. (I'm looking at you, Fort Worth) Saying "hi" to a stranger doesn't necessarily make you a nice or friendly person, although how you treat your visitors and guests does. I've heard too many unfriendly things from natives whom are afraid that Texas is going to be damaged or permanently ruined by too many outsiders moving in. We're all Americans, and we're all struggling. Let's not act silly and divisive and start "us versus them" arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are the exception, rather than the rule. I agree with most on here that it is highly unusual out side of the black community.

When I 1st moved to Arlington to go to UTA back in the 70's, there was a BBQ place right by the campus run by an old Black Man. The name was Big N****'s BBQ. Even back then it was not a word most white people used around here.
Heck, I never heard it when I was growing up in the 1950's in East Texas. Wait, no, that's not entirely correct. My father did sit me down, when I was a little girl, and explain the progression of the "correct" word to use (as preferred by the people being referred to) over time, and what the then-current preference by those people was, and how that one word was NEVER to be used (and also how it developed). So I did hear it one time in the context of a linguistic/ethical/good manners lecture. Other than that, no, because not only do I not hang around with people who use it, apparently I'm never even casually passing by someone who uses it (except in reference to their own race, as mentioned by several posters above, and that only relatively recently).

I even lived in Arlington in the late 1960's and never saw the place referred to above. But I was going to high school at the time, not college, and it's also possible that place wasn't there at the time, I having left for Austin in 1969.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I even lived in Arlington in the late 1960's and never saw the place referred to above. But I was going to high school at the time, not college, and it's also possible that place wasn't there at the time, I having left for Austin in 1969.
It was by the school when I moved there around 73. Must not have been real successful, I can envision a whole chain, just like McDonald's with drive through.

Recall the large chain of restaurants similar to Denny's called Sambo's ? They were named after the owners (Sam & Bo's) but the name became a racial slur which eventually caused them to fail.

I interviewed with them in college. Thank goodness that's a job I didn't get.

Sambo's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM

499 posts, read 2,152,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I hear it mostly from the older southerners. Of course, it's not nearly as prevalent as it was many years ago. Nevertheless, it's just totally unnecessary.
I'm from California and I never heard the word used until I visited or moved to Texas.
That's interesting, my experience has been the opposite. I moved to Texas from Orange Co., California in 2007. In California, I frequently heard people voice their hatred; kids in school growing up, kids in college, and many people I had worked with over the years.
Then I moved here and I never hear the word. And I work with some crusty old leather-necked country boys who drink, spit and cuss too!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,567,629 times
I hear the n word a lot and it is usually from white country folks. I have to say though, just because people don't frequently use a derogatory word doesn't mean they aren't racist.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,694 times
Default Mexican Food in Texas & Cally

Reading the comments on this thread made me laugh. Only place I know to get Mexican food is Mexico. Places that claim to serve Mexican food in Texas and Cally are hybrids, and rarely do they serve "true" Mexican food. Here in Texas we eat Tex-Mex and for the most part it is damned good. Have had the Cally food and it is just way to anglosised for my taste, but seems to be ok for the locals. Wouldn't fly here in Texas.
One of the threads I saw mentioned that the best Mexican food they had was in Toronto, Chicago and some other city, well maybe they do have "true" Mexican food, chances are though they have adjusted like most Mexicans adjust their dishes to the local's taste. Nothing wrong with it, but chances are it is not Mexican food. I personally can not stand the Mexican food from Mexico. It is regional taste and my taste is Tex-Mex..

As for Californians hating on Texans, that has not been my experience with the many transplants we've had from Cally in this area. They have been nice, love the cost of living and how much land they can get for what they would have to pay for a simple three bedroom house in California. I personally love them all, good for business especially when they think our prices are so low. Hell we might have to raise them just to make them feel at home lol ..

Thank you all for the love that ya'll share on this forum and to those who have to hate, try "mirror mirror.... " enjoy

texcan

Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 AM

23,128 posts, read 28,863,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Strange. SF is actually where I met the coolest and friendliest people. The most hostile Californians were definitely in LA.
San FranNimby, not San Francisco. Home to the most selfish, controlling
Not-in-my-back-yard, anti-development/density neighborhood activists you'll ever find. And L.A. isn't any better. They've got it down to a science: find the flimsiest excuse to halt some new development in their neighborhoods, and, as a result, it limits the housing units, keeps the housing prices sky-high, and so when they wish to cash out, away they go to buy some cheap place elsewhere, and bank the rest of it, so they never have to work again.

Why oh why has it taken Texan's so long to figure that one out! If Texas had had CA-style Nimby's 40 years ago, they'd be selling their over-priced houses and moving to CA or Hawaii!

Wanna build a high rise condo near Fisherman's Wharf? Well, fasten your seat belt! Nothing gets approved there without the blessings of the kings and queens on the hills, who control the city. If just one Nob Hill resident claims this building will block their view of the Bay, idea scratched! And then, if you wish to build a mid-rise at the base of a hill there, you must consult the residents on the flats. Will this building block their views of hills?
If so, idea scratched!

Smallest wonder there's so many homeless in that city!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,056,723 times
Check out this thread!

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...tralian-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Reasons to hate Texas:
The weather (hot, sunny, hot, hail, hot, wet, hot, sunny, hot, humid, hot)
The bugs (if it bites or stings, it lives here)
The pollen (all kinds, all year)
The highways (obviously designed by a drunk with a marker)
The drivers (honestly, learn to use a turn signal and try a little courtesy)
The food (why is there gravy or barbeque sauce on everything?)
The politics (no, no one else thinks G.W.Bush was a genius)
The schools (substandard educations, a “Texas pledge” and moment of silence every day!)
The death penalty (and how often its carried out)
The rednecks (why can’t they tolerate diversity?)
The oversized vehicles (totally unnecssary)
The water (barely potable)
The religious zealots (megachurches!)

Reasons to like Texas:
Housing prices (really, really low)
The occasional really nice person (and some Texans are the nicest people on earth)

There are so many reasons to hate Texas – where to begin?
Its social policies – like the regressive sales tax, rather than an income tax; farming out the mentally handicapped to work at Henry’s Turkey Service; dropping off a woman newly released from a mental institution at a bus station (she died). I could go on and on.
But on a less lofty note, the “cuisine” there is revolting. The 4 food groups are fat, fat, fat, and fat. Chicken fried steak, that disgusting white gravy also on biscuits. If it’s not smothered in white gravy, then buckets of queso have been poured over it. And the side dish is your choice of french fries or onion rings.

Texas is such a miserable State.

I visited Texas about 3 months ago and all I saw is just plain empty flat land.

I remember passing by San Angelo, Texas. If you are from a state like New York, Illinois or California, you would expect for San Angelo, Texas to be a nice big civilized city, but all I saw was just plain empty land with hickorish rednecks residentials living in that community or whatever you call that miserable place. For me, just hearing the word Texas depresses me. Once you leave Texas, You might have that effect on hearing the word Texas, so damn depressing the word Texas. If you visit their big major cities like Houston or Dallas, Those cities aren’t civilized and the people in those Texas major cities like to lock themselves up. The people in Texas are not friendly to socialize with. These Texans are full of lies. The state is full of insects and hills which they are not really mountains as what these Texans refer them as, they are just plain rocky hills..

Texas is such a miserable place. Why people move to Texas is because of the houses. The price is cheap but Texas is miserable. Too many rednecks live in that State (Texas) and the people of course are so patriotic and full of pride in that miserable land.

You go to A&M (Agriculture And Mechanics) and all you find is a lot of white farmers and country boys. It would be nice building a huge brick wall all around Texas so we don’t have to look at that miserable state. I would buy that. You know when you are in Texas when you see the Texas flag raised at the same level as the American Flag.

Texans. Lack of self awareness. Isolationistic in thought. Kind of like someone who was raised under a rock, but the rock was big, so they boast about how big the rock was. There’s more, but, man, it’s so sad – and they don’t even know it!

There are two seasons in Tx, hot and hotter. There is a third if you count the hurricane season. A fourth if you count squirrel season.

Over industrialization of undesirable industries. Yes, when you visit TX, you get the full impact of what a cesspool they’ve made out of their state with factories, oil refineries, and chemical plants. Don’t get me wrong, it is good somebody is manufacturing this stuff out there, but, man, you’ve got to be six flags short of a theme park to live amongst the stench-filled, chemical run-off, heat-fest that is TX.

Worst humidity and dew point. Yes it is true. Houston is tied with annual averages for the worst humidity and dew point in the united states per NOAA. In a nutshell, it’s like a sauna. A constant sauna for 7 months out of the year. so is hell.

No mountains. TX is beautiful with flat dusty fields of dry dirt for 100′s of miles until you get to some hills with nice folks with guns. Texas is a great place to drive thru on your way to somewhere else.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,110,369 times
That just goes to show that ignorant people can be found anywhere. I'm tired to all the generalizing about places and the people who live in them. How can anyone make a sweeping statement about a place with millions of people, based upon the relative few that they come into contact with? It might also be that the whiner is unlikable to begin with.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM

185 posts, read 348,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
LOLWUT.
I have a feeling he hasn't actually been to Texas, and he's just picking up every single stereotype of Texas. Almost every one.
I would've lol'd if he said there was only dirty roads and everyone rides around on horses.
Telling transplants things like that about Texas is like telling someone that's going to Japan that there's only Samurais, paper houses, super-crammed cities, and every other steretype about Japan. It's just stupid.
Remember people, TV is bad for you, especially the stuff from Hollywood.
IMO, not hating on Angelos, but I think Hollywood breeds more ignorance than any "Redneck" megachurch in the bible-belt. Then again, perhaps the real fool is the person who believes what Hollywood tells them.
Although California is a lot more like Japan than Texas will ever be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas