Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 PM

85 posts, read 92,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Being from LA and moving to Texas, I do see this as a two sided issue. Im sharing my experiences in Dallas, Plano, and Houston.

On one hand, 99% of Texans I have met are wonderful. Very welcoming, a nice come as you are crowd. I have been able to make friends from a diverse crowd of conservative, liberal, gay, straight, white, minority, etc. people.

On one hand, no place is perfect. LA wasnt and Texas isnt. If you mention one thing you miss thing, some people get defensive. Then you have the people who are afraid of change. They have the idea that a large influx of residents is making Texas change too much and they dont like it. That leads to unreasonable demands like demanding that you conform to every aspect of the culture. This group thinks you should go to church, own guns, vote Republican, etc. I will NEVER do any of those things. This same crowd thinks my refusal to do those things means I hate Texas. On the contrary, I LOVE it here.

The 2nd paragraph is not the rule, its the exception but those people are out there and it can make an out of stater feel unwelcome. The bottom line is that Texas is a very diverse place. The stereotype is all but dead in the big cities. People get along pretty well here too. One of my best friends is a die hard Trumpster. I despise Trump. Yet, we can still talk about politics, hug each other, share dinner and drinks, and do all kinds of fun things. Despite how people would characterize us, thats Texas in a nutshell. Were friends and neighbors first, Texans (native or adoptive) second, and politics and other differences are a very distant third.
Your 2nd paragraph is EXACTLY why people can't stand (some) out-of-staters....most right leaning people don't care if who you vote for, they don't care if you buy guns, they don't care at all if you go to church...they don't want others coming in and telling or ridiculing them for wanting to do those thing (especially with the guns.) Of course there are opinionated people on both sides but I don't know anyone one who thinks that you need to buy guns, go to church, etc or you are ruining Texas, or hate Texas. That's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I surely hope not although I'm sick and tired of Texans and southerns in general referring to blacks with the "n" word. It's just so ignorant.
The only time I EVER heard anyone use the "N" word was when I was deployed to Laurel, Mississippi for Hurricane Katrina clean-up. I remember the owner of the property where our vegetative debris site was, a Mr. Mangum, used the word with complete disregard. He was about 80 and I just kept my mouth shut. Hard to do that.

I sort of wanted to just wring his neck.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb9494 View Post
Your 2nd paragraph is EXACTLY why people can't stand (some) out-of-staters....most right leaning people don't care if who you vote for, they don't care if you buy guns, they don't care at all if you go to church...they don't want others coming in and telling or ridiculing them for wanting to do those thing (especially with the guns.) Of course there are opinionated people on both sides but I don't know anyone one who thinks that you need to buy guns, go to church, etc or you are ruining Texas, or hate Texas. That's ridiculous.
Ummm....can you please point out where I said that I tell people who they should vote for, if they should own guns, or which God they should worship???? I would NEVER tell people how they live their lives, no one is just going to tell me how to live mine.

Your response is a perfect example of the defensiveness I was referring to exhibited by some Texans.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan2010 View Post
Why is it always that the people of California hate on the lifestyle, people, and cities of Texas. They think were just a bunch of country hicks well obviously they havent been or herd of Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, or Austin. I just want to know why SOME (some not all) Californians Hate On Texas!!!!
It's all media hype and politically motivated, the average person from each state probably look at each other states in a positive light.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Ummm....can you please point out where I said that I tell people who they should vote for, if they should own guns, or which God they should worship???? I would NEVER tell people how they live their lives, no one is just going to tell me how to live mine.

Your response is a perfect example of the defensiveness I was referring to exhibited by some Texans.
Yeah I didn't get his post either to your response.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It's all media hype and politically motivated, the average person from each state probably look at each other states in a positive light.
I actually think it’s more a Texan thing to hate on Cali than the other way around. Californians don’t seem to think much about Texas in the first place.

In Austin, you’ll hear that for traffic reasons (even though Californians only make up a small portion of the people moving here).

Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I hate state stereotypes.

Not everyone from CA is a fruit, flake, or nut, just like not everyone from Texas is an overweight, gun toting racist wearing a Stetson and boots.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:45 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb9494 View Post
The only people I EVER hear complain about Texas and wish they were back home are folks from CA and NY. I have been told to my face at a salon that it was "hillbilly-ish" of me to have Texas Pride and love George Strait and like anything to do with country culture. (I was talking with my stylist about GS, TX, etc)....Excuse me??? That is a huge part of TX culture and if you don't like, don't let the door hit you on the way out! I was also told by a NYer that my hometown was a "redneck hellhole" because there weren't any vegan restaurants. This is the attitude that people can't stand. I have been told by SEVERAL people from CA that they would move back in a heartbeat if they could....well then go!!!

I'm an SF Bay Area native who lives in The Woodlands, and I've been here for about 10 years. Even with all of the George Strait fans I've encountered in Texas, the biggest George Strait fan I know (by far) is a woman in her 60s who has lived her entire life in affluent SF Bay Area suburbs (the Belmont hills, Saratoga, and Alamo). She doesn't know anyone in Texas except me.

I don't think Texas should change to become more like CA or NY. If people from CA or NY are that unhappy, and can't find a way to look at 'the glass as at least half full', they should move back.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
If Californians want to hate on Texas, they should live in California. California is a terrible place to live now. I'm not a fan of Californians moving to Texas. It is probably changing Texas for the worse. The Californians changed Colorado and Arizona for the worse too.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM

716 posts, read 539,734 times
RJ why are you assuming that the people leaving Calif are bad for Tx? Are you assuming they are left wingers waiting to run to a state that has the death penalty, limited welfare, very religious in most mid and smaller townes, right to carry and to shoot to defend, lower wages, ridiculous heat 7 months out of the year or are you assuming that the california's like me who were born and raised and lived their over 60 years is just tricking tired of the liberal crap the progressive its all about me attitude, feed up with 13% state tax rate to see it go the ----(*&%$$%&$$_) not to mention the out of control immigrant and welfare problem -

i can only read that you dont want any more gun toting, church going, right leaning folks to ruin your liberal crap that can be easily seen in Austin and elsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas