Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for African-Americans?
Houston 38 64.41%
Dallas 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
How much time have you spent in Dallas?

Im not saying the black presence isnt bigger in Houston, but youre completely unqualified to speak on what it is in Dallas since I know youve never been here.
I wasn't comparing Dallas to Houston anyway. I was sharing with you how Atlanta and Houston interchangeable since you don't get what trae and I are saying.

I'm not even going to share what I've heard about Dallas because it would be irrelevant.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:10 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times

African American Heritage in Dallas | Resources and Facts

Quote:
Dallas African American Community Facts
Dallas annually ranks as one of the "Top 5 cities for African Americans" - Black Enterprise
Dallas has been named as "one of the best places for African Americans to do business" - Black Enterprise
Dallas has ranked as the "4th most popular city for African American Travelers" - Travel Industry of America.
The African-American population in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is 961,871 (2010)
Dallas is home to the oldest Black Chamber of Commerce in the country (Founded 1926)
Although nightlife in Dallas is similar to other large cities, many restaurants and nightclubs have strong, historical jazz and blues roots.
Dallas is home to several world-renowned faith-based organizations including The Potter's House led by T.D. Jakes

Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Houston for sure. They have many black communities my favorites are Riverside Terrence and Acres Home.

Does DFW have a neighborhood like Riverside?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Urban Radio Stations and their rankings per market:

Atlanta:
WVEE: 8.1
WALR: 6.0
WAMJ: 5.1
WHTA: 4.3
WPZE: 3.0
WAMJ HD-2: 0.8

Houston:
KMJQ: 6.4
KBXX: 5.3
KQBT: 4.1
KROI: 2.9

DFW:
KKDA: 3.6
KSOC: 3.4
KBFB: 3.3
KRNB: 3.3
Yeah, these were the stations I was looking at. Thanks for proving my point. Outside of one station, Houston and Atlanta are more comparable.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post

No

Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Houston for sure. They have many black communities my favorites are Riverside Terrence and Acres Home.

explain what makes Riverside so special so I can answer your question.

UPDATE:

Ok .....I looked it up. I am very familiar with that neighborhood I just never knew the name of it....Those are some very nice houses...A comparable neighborhood in Dallas would be the red bird neighborhood. Bounded by Red bird Lane at the south, Polk st. to the east,Hampton on the west side and Hwy 67 ....IN MY OPINION.

Last edited by dallasboi; 01-12-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
explain what makes Riverside so special so I can answer your question.

UPDATE:

Ok .....I looked it up. I am very familiar with that neighborhood I just never knew the name of it....Those are some very nice houses...A comparable neighborhood in Dallas would be the red bird neighborhood. Bounded by Red bird Lane at the south, Polk st. to the east,Hampton on the west side and Hwy 67 ....IN MY OPINION.
IDK, but I think Riverside Terrace is a historically wealthy neighborhood. I could be wrong.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:16 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Also, Houston and Atlanta are starting to become more interchangeable now, if you will.
That's not really a good thing...

Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The difference between Dallas and Houston is that the latter has more of a locally established network of educated and affluent blacks. In the former this community has a greater proportion of transplants making up that demographic.
...and that's why this argument is so silly, and why the difference is SO minimal; who cares whether the network of educated affluent blacks is homegrown or transplants, as long as both places have a healthy and rapidly growing number of both? Now if one did and the other didn't, then that would be a different story...

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 AM

Comparing numbers for "urban" radios stations between Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas is kind of a skewed argument, because both Atlanta and Houston have been known way more as hot beds for Southern Hip-Hop for years than Dallas, so naturally their radio stations would trend higher than the ones in Dallas because the music they play has more of a "home grown" appeal.

Moreover, I think that's a lot of the reason why a lot of young blacks who make up a large percentage of those very same urban radio listeners now tend to view Atlanta and Houston as similar or "better" for blacks, because they feel more of a Hip-Hop culture and connection to Atlanta and Houston than they would to Dallas, which has practically no known rappers nationwide compared to the endless list of of Atlanta and Houston rappers and R&B acts that go all the way back to the 80's for Houston and the early 90's for Atlanta.

But, if anyone thinks having a long list of famous rappers and R&B singers from or based in a city is the only thing or the main thing that makes it "better for blacks," then that's their own issue; they're not really being logical or looking at the grand scheme of things anyway, and their Hip-Hop biased opinion is unlikely to be swayed anyway (as if having more popular black rappers and R&B singers in a place is better and more important for blacks who live there than employment opportunities, population statistics, quality of life, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas