Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 41,098 times

Advertisements

We will be going to South Padre for 4 nights and are doing this on a really small budget. As in we are even bringing our own food and drinks so we wont have to spend much money on it while down there.

My questions are:

What are some cheap hotels that you would suggest (we are looking to be around $70/night or cheaper)? Ones we should stay away from?

Do they allow drinking on the beach? Can you only have cans or is bottles okay?

What are some free or super cheap things that we should do (other then the obvious - swim in the ocean!)?

Is it safe to visit Metamoros right now? Are there precautions we should take if we do visit there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,426,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstcbunny View Post
We will be going to South Padre for 4 nights and are doing this on a really small budget. As in we are even bringing our own food and drinks so we wont have to spend much money on it while down there.

My questions are:

What are some cheap hotels that you would suggest (we are looking to be around $70/night or cheaper)? Ones we should stay away from?

What are some free or super cheap things that we should do (other then the obvious - swim in the ocean!)?

Is it safe to visit Metamoros right now? Are there precautions we should take if we do visit there?

Thanks!
1. Not sure about cheap hotels. It might be hard to find something that cheap during high season (summer).
2. No bottles on the beach, otherwise it's fine.
3. You can head over to Pirates Landing in Port Isabel and visit the
museums. You might be able to rent poles at one of the docks and
fish somewhat cheaply.
4. Personally I wouldn't do Matamoros at this time, it's too iffy.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,732,772 times
You might want to try booking a hotel on the Port Isabel side, will be cheaper (sorry I can't remember any of the names).

Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,739,726 times
Motel 8 is not a bad motel. It's clean and run by a nice couple. Free breakfast ~ waffles, cereal, dough-nuts, juice, milk, etc. You might be able to go online and find a better deal to book your rooms than you will if you reserve them direct with the motel. Doesn't hurt to check it out. It's just across the street from the water on the gulf side.

They also have a small fridge and microwave in the room. You can stop at the Walmart in Port Isabel and buy sandwich meat, snacks, microwave popcorn, chips, cokes etc. That way you don't have to lug it all with you.

The motels and other places will have stands stocked with brochures of things to do and there will be coupons also in them. You can go across the bridge and take a boat out for dolphin watching a lot cheaper than if you book one on the island side.

If you do eat out there is a place down across from Slitterbahm that is called (something, I can't remember the first part of the name) Bait Shop and while it's not the prettiest place to look at on the outside, it's clean and it's nice inside. Fun atmosphere. Furthermore, they have the best fried shrimp! Mmmm! And very reasonable. They also have entertainment at night.

There's a lot to do on the main drag. There's a go-cart track that is really cool. If you are going to be there on a Friday night, they shoot off fireworks over the water.

I don't think I'd go across the border at this time. There's just been too much going on and I sure wouldn't feel at all safe, but that's just my opinion.

There is a sea turtle reserve you can go through. There's another place with all kinds of marine life that you can also go through and they also have certain times that one of the employees will give a tour you might say through the place and they will tell you all about the creature you happen to be looking at. They work off of donations. I believe it is on Port Isabel side. You'll find there's lots to do that isn't expensive.

Now you got me chomping at the bits wanting to go!

Have fun!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,987,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstcbunny View Post

My questions are:

Thanks!

As far as cheap motels,stay in Port Isabel as suggested.It is only about 5 minutes inland across the bridge and is on the bay.Stay away from Mexico.On the food issue,no need to haul food down there.There is an HEB and a Walmart in Port Isabel.We bought all our groceries there and had them in the condo in SP within 10 minutes.

A sign at our condo said the fine for glass on the beach was $ 2000,so I would not take any glass on the sand.Can beer is OK.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,732,772 times
>>If you do eat out there is a place down across from Slitterbahm that is called (something, I can't remember the first part of the name) Bait Shop and while it's not the prettiest place to look at on the outside, it's clean and it's nice inside. Fun atmosphere. Furthermore, they have the best fried shrimp! Mmmm! And very reasonable. They also have entertainment at night.<<

Dirty Al's! Dirty Al's l South Padre Islands Best Seafood! Sorry, We're Open!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM

404 posts, read 1,027,147 times
Are those inflatable things allowed in the water there? I know some places are real uptight about not letting them in the water.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,426,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Are those inflatable things allowed in the water there? I know some places are real uptight about not letting them in the water.
You mean like pool rafts of something? They're fine.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM

404 posts, read 1,027,147 times
Yes. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,739,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Boogie boards work good there too. One item that has not been mentioned here is an umbrella to use on the beach. They're inexpensive and yet what a lifesaver they can be. Just be sure and get one with a sturdy pole, that south wind can carry some pretty good gusts at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas