Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Let's don't forget chili (Texas definition) and free-toe pie, y'all!
Forgot about chili since I don't think about it when it's HOT outside!
During the winter I make it often. I play around with vegetarian types for my daughter, which means BEANS. Don't shoot!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
How often do you eat "Texan" foods?

Fried Coke.

Ok, 2 pages and no one has asked about this?? WTH is fried coke??

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post

Ok, 2 pages and no one has asked about this?? WTH is fried coke??
From the State Fair either last year or the year before. It was a batter made with Coke that was fried. I did not try it. I did try the fried butter, however.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Forgot about chili since I don't think about it when it's HOT outside!
During the winter I make it often. I play around with vegetarian types for my daughter, which means BEANS. Don't shoot! :eek:
Would NEVER shoot you, hon! But? Anybody got a rope?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Does anyone like barbacoa? It's original name used to fully be barbacoa de cabeza.

My father told me long ago in South Texas they used to cook it in a hole in the ground. That is original Tex-Mex.
Don't like it. That's trash meat IMO but I know some people who love it.

BTW the stuff at Chipotle is not real barbacoa, more like deshebrada.

I eat Tex-Mex probably once a week here. Actually I'd call it somewhere between Tex-Mex and authentic-Mex, both Rio Grande and Monterrey style + RGV & San Antonio Texas. Being on the SE side of Houston you can pretty much find it everywhere.

The stuff on the menu @ a Tex-Mex restaurant that has "Diablo" as an adjective in an entree, I usually avoid.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Don't like it. That's trash meat IMO but I know some people who love it.

BTW the stuff at Chipotle is not real barbacoa, more like deshebrada.

I eat Tex-Mex probably once a week here. Actually I'd call it somewhere between Tex-Mex and authentic-Mex, both Rio Grande and Monterrey style + RGV & San Antonio Texas. Being on the SE side of Houston you can pretty much find it everywhere.

The stuff on the menu @ a Tex-Mex restaurant that has "Diablo" as an adjective in an entree, I usually avoid.
Out of curiosity, what is the major difference between Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican? Or even between Tex-Mex and that more popular in the far SW states? I mean, I KNOW there are differences, but I am not familiar enough the the "other types" to be able to say exactly what is/are distinguishing characteristics. Anybody know for sure...?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Would NEVER shoot you, hon! But? Anybody got a rope?
"New York City!" I always loved that ad.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is the major difference between Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican? Or even between Tex-Mex and that more popular in the far SW states? I mean, I KNOW there are differences, but I am not familiar enough the the "other types" to be able to say exactly what is/are distinguishing characteristics. Anybody know for sure...?

Queso fresco (white) is a good give-away, so is Cheez-Whiz w/ Rotel. Corn tortillas usually rule over flour. Authetic tacos use steak meat finely chopped, not ground beef w/ Old El Paso seasoning. There is a lot of crossover everywhere such as Spanish rice and charro beans. Tex-Mex dnchiladas are usually overly cheddary cheesy.

Monterrey style uses lime, cilantro, cooked whole onions and a runny avocado sauce that is very spicy-- can't remember the name. They also make use of smoked whole chickens.

As far as Rio Grande style I think that's where some of the crossover is. You might see poblanos instead of jalapenos, or those really small, fiery, bead-like peppers. Salsas are usually red & green and I prefer the green. Otherwise a lot of it is the same. Hard to describe unless you've spent some time around McAllen.

Here's a photo of a menu I took at a Monterrey style restaurant not too far from me, some of the entrees I've never heard of before:

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
LOL!! You do know that you just opened a can of worms, don't you, TR?

Tex-Mex, border food, interior Mexican, New Mexican, CalMex, etc. all overlap, and have the same basic roots. People will argue heatedly that New Mexican is SO different from all the rest!

I am going to take a stab anyway.........Tex-Mex food is basically what poor Mexican immigrants (both legal and illegal) brought to Texas. It is heavy on corn/flour tortillas, beans, rice, cheese and smaller amounts of meat. The combination of corn, beans and rice makes a complete (if inferior) protein.

In interior Mexico, the foods of the poor above are basically considered snack foods. You don't usually see entire main meals built of only these snacks for the tiny middle class and upper classes.

When I stayed in Mexico one summer (interior north central part), I also visited various places (Guadalajara/Guanajuato/Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende) and went as far south as Mexico City.

Like any other place, the cuisine is as varied as it gets...meats, fish, veggies, all kinds of chile/chile sauces, soups, broths, etc.....nobody does food better than Mexico, IMNSHO. It's far more complex than what we know as simple Tex-Mex.

HOWEVER.....in recent years, even Tex-Mex and Mexican food in the states is evolving to be a lot more complex and varied than it was 20-30 years ago. Commerce and the availability of ingredients are making for even more tasty stuff!!

I'll still take a simple plate of Tex-Mex red chile enchiladas topped with a mound of gooey cheddar/cojack cheese any day......with beans and a bowl of hot salsa on the side!

Now I'm getting very hungry.....

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-25-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
How often do you eat "Texan" foods?

By "Texan", I mean Texan BBQ, Country Fried Steak, Tex-Mex, Fried Coke, Armadillo , etc.

I eat Tex-Mex once a week, and Texan BBQ maybe every other week. If "Texan" foods were more healthy, I'd be eating them everyday!
With the exception of Armadillo quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas