Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times

Advertisements

Does anyone sense as though people may be moving to Texas simply because we're touted as the state that's fared best during the ongoing recession?

I dunno, I've been reading some threads, and it seems like a lot of out-of-staters plan to move here without a job lined up. They don't even know where they want to move, in fact. That sounds like a really bad idea to me. In fact, it sounds like a terrible idea to relocate anywhere without a job, unless you have to move back in with family/friends because there aren't any options.

Texas might be doing better than other states insofar that we don't have quite as many unemployed people. But we're in no way within the realm of normal, and it's still a competitive job market out there. I still know people here in Austin–professionals–who've been looking for a job for well over a year after they were laid off.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
nothing new--these posts started occuring even before 2008--just not in large numbers

and frankly they -- most of them I bet--are not going to be any more successful here than they were in the state they are fleeing...

but historically--Texas has always gotten its fair share of the pie-in-the-sky dreamers and crooks fleeing the law and people who thought it would be easier to make a living "out west" except in this case half of them are coming from west of TX...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I've wondered the same thing about this randomness and capriciousness. I have long wondered how there are so many people that say "We are moving to Texas but can't decide on which one of the big cities." It's as if there are a lot of Texas-bound rich people who can move on a whim to wherever they want. If I want to move, (well first I have to ok it with the real boss of the household ) but then we would have to check our savings, find openings which are limited to begin with, apply for these limited openings and cross fingers, etc. It's a LONG process. Moving, relocating, and starting over costs $$$. I can't just say "I want to move so what is a good place for me." So either these folks are well-off, or they are just throwing caution to the wind (most likely) and it has become Texas or bust.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Some move to Texas because that's where the job has moved, the ones who know what part of town they'll be working in.

Some are moving to Texas because there's no reason to stay where they are, seems mostly from California and Michigan. Where's the best?

Some move to Texas to get away from the usual big city crap and the people who live there. Seems mostly from the north east. Looking for space and status.

Some move to Texas because they've finished school and they're ready to become educated adults. Where's Texas?

Most of the above just need a place to live and earn a living. They've heard of something called independence.

Some move to Texas because they're in need of an adventure. Those are the ones that will succeed in Texas and know in their minds that they're already here. Not only will they succeed, they'll make Texas better for it.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-26-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Moving, relocating, and starting over costs $$$. I can't just say "I want to move so what is a good place for me." So either these folks are well-off, or they are just throwing caution to the wind (most likely) and it has become Texas or bust.
Huh. I'm self-employed with a very portable career (writing), and I'd have difficulty scaring up enough money to move someplace else–even a local move would cost a lot of dough. I just hope that the state is able to sustain the influx of people coming here. If we don't have additional job creation, the folks who move here unprepared could find themselves in the same boat they were in while living in another state. Putting it this way: I haven't heard of anyone who's told me that it's easy to find a job in Texas. Quite to the contrary.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. Even a move across town is expensive for me, so I hard time understanding how there were so many posts from folks who had no job lined up but at the same time couldn't decide between Austin or Houston. It isn't that easy to find a new job here. People who have been laid off from my workplace often face several months, even a year of searching.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 AM

26 posts, read 111,388 times
I'm one of the people that is looking to move to Texas. I do however have a job offer, and would never attempt to move there without one. That being said, I can tell you why people are relocating to Texas: Economy. You may not think that Texas is doing very well, but it is. Where I live, unemployment is at 14.4% That is toxic. Additionally, the cost of living is high here, and homes are outrageously expensive. Things are not getting better at all.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastsailor View Post
I'm one of the people that is looking to move to Texas. I do however have a job offer, and would never attempt to move there without one. That being said, I can tell you why people are relocating to Texas: Economy. You may not think that Texas is doing very well, but it is. Where I live, unemployment is at 14.4% That is toxic. Additionally, the cost of living is high here, and homes are outrageously expensive. Things are not getting better at all.
You come from Nevada ?

About the topic, I think it's beautiful, all these people moving in Texas.Some people have dreams, and Texas is the best state for that in the US !
Is it easy ? Certainly not, the unemployment rate = 8.2% in June, it's not so low.
But this state created more jobs this year than other states (137,000 between January and June ) and it's the best state about the recovery, here the recovery is real, powered by the private sector.And the huge population growth in this state (maybe 2010 will be the best year ever for Texas in pop growth) offers many opportunities in the retail sector and the housing.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 AM

543 posts, read 1,381,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Huh. I'm self-employed with a very portable career (writing), and I'd have difficulty scaring up enough money to move someplace else–even a local move would cost a lot of dough. I just hope that the state is able to sustain the influx of people coming here. If we don't have additional job creation, the folks who move here unprepared could find themselves in the same boat they were in while living in another state. Putting it this way: I haven't heard of anyone who's told me that it's easy to find a job in Texas. Quite to the contrary.
On the note of job creation and people moving to Texas I'm starting to wonder if reported unemployment rate in Texas is understated. Don't people have be here for a year before the state actually records them as unemployed? I wonder how many folks there are who moved here without a job that still aren't being recorded because the don't meet the residency criteria yet.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
A few of the people who live around me are from other states (NY,CA all over) and some are still having trouble with life after moving here without a job lined up...2 yrs later...some are having trouble because they never thought about the property taxes or ac bills. Just saw that their money could buy lots more (up front) but never thought about the yearly cost, some are being forced to move again because of it. Not to mention we don't just throw the windows open most of the year round like they did in CA so it does cost some money to cool down that 2 story west facing entry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas