Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people who say all HOA's are evil. Clearly there are lots of differences as there are lots of people living in HOA's that are happy with them.

It also strikes me that a lot of the biggest HOA haters, don't live in one, and many never have.
I wouldn't say that I hate them necessarily. I have never lived in an HOA but what I have heard from friends who do has helped me to come to the conclusion that I would not like it. I also do not like the power (in Texas at least) that they have to foreclose on someone's house for only a few thousand dollars in unpaid HOA association dues. So I made the decision to purchase in a non-HOA area and avoid headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Fee's are $116/month!!???!!! That is alarming for an HOA, are you sure that doesn't include some grounds maintenance feels as well. I suspect it probably includes maintaining the exterior of your living unit, i.e. walls, siding, roof, etc.
Mine started at a "mere" $239 ... back in the mid-1990s. By the time my ex-H and I rented out the place, it was right around $500. A month. People with larger units paid much more than we did, too--up to $700 a month. A lot of people eventually sold and moved.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I wouldn't say that I hate them necessarily. I have never lived in an HOA but what I have heard from friends who do has helped me to come to the conclusion that I would not like it. I also do not like the power (in Texas at least) that they have to foreclose on someone's house for only a few thousand dollars in unpaid HOA association dues. So I made the decision to purchase in a non-HOA area and avoid headaches.
I agree, they should not be allowed to foreclose, unless they have gone through some major mediation and oversight by the courts before hand. Being able to put a lien on a house seems like enough assurance that they will be paid eventually when the house is sold.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
We have lived in our home for 11 years and have regreted moving to the development because of the HOA. We do not have a management company and the memebers make up the rules and enforce them as they want. Before moving to this HOA we lived in another that we never had a problem with, for 15 years. The members of the board do not return calls and will not discuss anything with you. It is like moving to Russia. Do as you are told, because you are wrong.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM

107 posts, read 285,402 times
I have always lived in a community where there was an HOA. I have no problem with them. Occasionally you might get a person on the board that has some strong ideas, but people usually vote them out and things continue smoothly. I like that there is accountability in a neighborhood like about having a boat or trailer parked on the lawn in the front yard. I like that most people follow the rules and have guidelines about how to take care of their property. Some people do not care about what their home looks like and having an HOA makes them accountable to following the rules that the community approved. The biggest problem with HOA's is that occasionally you get a person on the board that has never held a position of any type in their life and this is a power trip for them, so they get a little powerful for their own good. They want to make changes that the community has not voted on and people get a bad taste in their mouths about HOA's because of it. If an HOA is constructed for the betterment of the community, it is a good thing. Values of homes tend to stay on the higher in, because people take pride in their neighborhood. If you live in a community with an HOA and you do not like the rules, get involved , get on the board and make the changes.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Mine started at a "mere" $239 ... back in the mid-1990s. By the time my ex-H and I rented out the place, it was right around $500. A month. People with larger units paid much more than we did, too--up to $700 a month. A lot of people eventually sold and moved.
with larger units? Um it's to be expected when it's a condo or townhome.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
My HOA fees are very reasonable and most of them go to maintenance which makes the neighborhood a better place.

My home in Legend Oaks was built in 1989.
In 2004 the total annual HOA fee was $330.
In 2010 the total annual HOA fee was $440. <---fees went up to pay for replacing a children's playscape that had rotted out and repointing of mortar joints in the brick walls around the subdivision. The HOA also maintains the community pool, tennis court, mailboxes and landscape maintenance of the common areas and boulevards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas