Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,970 times

Advertisements

I am going to Midwestern state university as graduate student. Currently i live in Dallas. I have no idea what the city looks like and what I am going to face. I was checking some posts on this site and found out that the east side of the city is a bit rough and some suggested to stay away from it. Others also say the downtown area is not good to. I want to know if the university itself is found in the downtown area and if its OK to rent an apartment around it. Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,556 times
Wichita Falls will be quite a change from Dallas. The city hasn't really grown in the past 30 years, hovering right around 100,000 during that entire time. I would agree that downtown needs work and there are some rough areas on the east and north side, but the city is generally a pretty safe place. MSU is in a pretty good area, actually. You should be able to find a place relatively close for a relatively inexpensive price (especially compared to Dallas). If you want newer properties, you might want to look further west. Still, there are plenty of places to rent around campus that are just fine and safe.

Overall, Wichita Falls weather is more extreme in all respects than Dallas. Summers are hotter, winters are colder, and storms are stronger. Tornadoes and hailstorms are a lot more common around WF than they are in Dallas.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
My niece, who is also from the DFW area graduated from MSU a year ago. She transferred there from one of the states larger universities. She did suffer a bit of culture shock when she moved there, even though she had been to WF many, many times because we have other family members there. She was able to rent a very nice little house near the university and it was not very expensive.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times
Midwestern is right in the middle of the very best residential part of the city.....it's a lovely, clean campus...has a just-completed Wellness Center (fitness center) and some other new buildings. The architecture on campus resembles Texas Tech if you've ever visited there.

The mall (Sikes Center) , along with banks and medical facilities, is just down the street - walking distance, actually....and a large park is down the street in the other direction. There are a number of nice apartment complexes right around the campus, prices are reasonable. That part of town is very safe, very pleasant to be in.

I've known a number of people who have gone to school there (including my son) and they all felt the faculty was very supportive and accomodating. Don't go expecting Wichita Falls to be Dallas or even a suburb of Dallas, it's not, but it's not a bad place at all to live or to go to school. Many of the people you'll meet there will be very down-to-earth, unassuming....but you might be surprised at how many oil wells or cattle they have back home. Midwestern has high academic standards, especially in the medical fields, and a degree from there is well-respected. I hope you have a good experience there.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM

I am going to look for an apartment around the university and rent one. I will be there after six days and I thank you all for the suggestions and best wishes.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM

194 posts, read 305,750 times
My daughter just graduated from MSU. She has lived in the Arbor House apartments for the last two years. It's a nice one and is walking distance, though you'll definitely want to have your own transportation. There are other apartments nearby that are reasonable .. stay away from a newer set that is run by an out-of-state company that builds apartments specifically for college .. it's a party center, and has had a few incidents of violence.

I lived near WF and worked in WF for the last 30+ years. It's a wonderful place to live. MSU is a fine university and the new Wellness Center is unbelievable! Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks Barefoot Daisy I will use the tip to find the apartment. As you said Arbor Creek is few miles from MSU; walking distance actually. You guys are really helpful. But I dont have my own transportation for now. You think its going to be hard without having my own car. I hope I can use the bus when I want to go the other parts of the city.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM

568 posts, read 961,738 times
Great place to go to school! Nothing to do there. The university does have a beautiful Christmas display they put up every year right before Thanksgiving. Be sure to go into the older part of town where the millionares used to live during the oil boom early 1900's. Beautiful mansions. They also decorate to the max at Christmas. Should have no problem keeping the grades high. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 PM

194 posts, read 305,750 times
There is city bus service, but I don't know anything about it, sorry. I do want to warn you away from any apartments on/near Professional Drive and on the south side of Southwest Parkway, by the Wal-Mart. Most of those are subsidized and there are really some undesirable people there. I know MSU has added new dorms/apartments in the last few years too.

French Quarter apartments are close to MSU as well, and there are a lot of backyard and garage apartments in WF too .. some of those can be very nice and comfy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas