Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 AM

130 posts, read 870,119 times

Advertisements

Well stated David. I was thinking along those lines as well, but didn't want to come off as "attacking"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 AM

138 posts, read 748,798 times
I have a friend who is an anesthetist in McAllen and he loves it. So do the thousands of "Snow Birds" from the northern states who come in droves for the winter (and some stay). Knowing Spanish will help but is not necessary. Latinos now outnumber Anglos in total in Texas so Spanish is becoming more and more helpful.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM

toosmartformyowngood. I hate to say it, but yes you are. Your degrees and 50 cents are worth a cup of coffee anywhere, not just in the Valley of Texas. It is your work ethic and common sense that will count. Sorry to have to tell you this. And leaving the country will only make it worse, believe me.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Latinos now outnumber Anglos in total in Texas so Spanish is becoming more and more helpful.

Latinos/Hispanics outnumber Anglos in some areas of Texas (El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, etc.).....but not in total.

According to the census, the Latino population state-wide for Texas is 34.6%

Non-hispanic Anglos/Whites, 49.8.%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48000.html

Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Cathy, sorry, but the Latino total population surpassed Anglo/Whites in Texas just recently. I think in June or July. It was in all the papers.

What census?? 2000??

From a web site:

"The Latino population will continue to grow at a rate about 6 times faster ... makes up 52% of the population in Texas, 50% in California, 50% in New Mexico, ..."

Without firing a shot, "Remember the Alamo". I guess not. LOL

Last edited by etexbill; 10-04-2006 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Some of the comments here are interesting. The rgv is growing which adds to the traffic. Like most cities, it has good and bad points. It's been raining alot here,so the semi-tropical status may be shifting. Homes are generously appointed and having a pool in your backyard is a nice amenity. Sometimes you don't know until you try it!
Best of luck on your decision. In the meantime, please visit McAllenfun.com
for info on the RGV.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
From a web site:

"The Latino population will continue to grow at a rate about 6 times faster ... makes up 52% of the population in Texas, 50% in California, 50% in New Mexico, ..."

Without firing a shot, "Remember the Alamo". I guess not. LOL

What website?

There is no doubt that it's growing rapidly.

Much of it is due to illegal immigration, too.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastech View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments! I moved to Mcallen 2 weeks ago. My experiences have been nothing but positive. I am a white male (25) and the people I've met have been really friendly. I don't speak spanish and it's pretty obvious that I'm not a "local", but everyone has treated me like a guest.

If you like hot weather and a laid back culture where family comes first...you should check out the valley.
Well, do you still like McAllen? I have to agree with Herky. After living in London and Manhattan, I think McAllen is the most depressing, poverty-stricken, ugliest, totally lacking in culture place I can imagine. Everyone I know is here because they got a great job offer, including my family. As someone else said, there's a reason for the great offers. It's actually depressing to meet someone you think you can relate to, because you know they'll move on in a few years. And you've never seen so many unrestrained infants and young children in cars in your life. And it seems as though everyone is morbidly obese, or well on their way to becoming so. It just basically sucks.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM

130 posts, read 870,119 times
Hehe, I can agree with you on the unrestrained infants. I usually get dirty looks and even comments when we are in public simply because I have a rule I live by, if some parent isn't going to make their child behave then I will get after them

As for the other stuff, to each their own. I lived in Dallas and would NEVER go there again. I hated every second of it. I lived in Baton Rouge and loved it until Katrina hit and we were overflowed by NO people.
I mean, I truly believe that most times any siuation is what you choose to make of it,but there are few times that your experiences don't allow or motivate you to do so.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:46 PM

121 posts, read 812,131 times
I just got into McAllen last night, will be here for about a month doing some work. I've read a lot of this, and also talked to a lot of people so I would know what to expect. I already had assumed that it wasn't as bad as many have said. It's not that dirty, it's not crime ridden (I knew that from looking at various stats, auto break ins and auto thefts are somewhat more common here, but not drastically so), and it's not that poor. Depending upon where someone is coming from, it might be "more" in one or more of those categories, but it's not a dusty border town where illegal immigrants rule the law. I actually like it down here so far, and the culture of it is one of the things I enjoy.

Hate to have to shock anyone, but about eight out of every ten people here are Hispanic. So?

McAllen is not perfect, few towns/cities come near that, but it is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

Yep, I'm new here, but I've driven around a lot of the area, there's good and there's bad. I would love to find out more about the area, where to go and such, and would be very willing to give more info about what I know so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas