Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,606,775 times

Advertisements

While your in San Antonio you defanatly want to check out some of the attractions there like the Riverwalk,Market Square,Alamo,Tower Of Americas ect...

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk!

Historic Market Square

Tower of the Americas

La Villita Historic Arts Village, San Antonio, TX - Home (http://lavillita.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage - broken link)

Saloon Cafe - Since 1881
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
We will be flying into San Antonio on a Monday and spending the afternoon and night there. On Tuesday, we will drive over to Austin and check out the city along with Round Rock and spend the night in Austin. On Wednesday we want to check out Dallas and hopefully FW and head back to Austin at night. We will spend Wednesday night and much of Thursday in Austin, then drive back to San Antonio late Thursday for the evening. We will spend Friday morning in San Antonio before getting on the plane around noon.

I wonder if we will have to drop FW to make this reasonable?
What really is your goal? Will you just be counting landmarks to determine a number within a given land area? Are you comparing types of dwellings? Or checking city maintenance for quality?

Is there something to which we can point you to assist in maximizing your time and effort? Driving through, and around for that matter, any one of your cities of interest isn't really going to tell you much that a post card wouldn't. Well, excepting maybe some time and distance factor which ultimately wouldn't be reliable outside of the numbers from your own experience.

You're already using 7 hours of travel time between Austin and Dallas roundtrip, most of which will be very uneventful.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:26 PM

202 posts, read 228,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
What really is your goal? Will you just be counting landmarks to determine a number within a given land area? Are you comparing types of dwellings? Or checking city maintenance for quality?

Is there something to which we can point you to assist in maximizing your time and effort? Driving through, and around for that matter, any one of your cities of interest isn't really going to tell you much that a post card wouldn't. Well, excepting maybe some time and distance factor which ultimately wouldn't be reliable outside of the numbers from your own experience.

You're already using 7 hours of travel time between Austin and Dallas roundtrip, most of which will be very uneventful.
Everything we know about Texas is via the internet. Our goal is to have a nice vacation, while information gathering. We will do a few touristy things, but will spend a lot of time checking out neighborhoods. We will also eat a lot.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:13 PM

509 posts, read 1,257,837 times
I really haven't been in downtown FW but if you are going to be in San Antonio, then you will definitely be visiting the downtown area and if some people think that FW is the best downtown in Tx then I would say to check both of them out. In my opinion, SA has the best downtown, so visiting both of them might be fun. I really haven't been on foot much of the Dallas downtown but from what I have seen, I don't think there is much to see. Definitely not like SA downtown.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 PM

499 posts, read 2,150,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
Everything we know about Texas is via the internet. Our goal is to have a nice vacation, while information gathering. We will do a few touristy things, but will spend a lot of time checking out neighborhoods. We will also eat a lot.
when you're heading up I-35 from San Antonio to Austin, when you reach San Marcos, get off the highway and go have some bbq at Kreuz's in Lockhart.
You won't regret it. It's about as Texan as you can get, nothing touristy or pretentious about it. Try some of the brisket, grab a Dr. Pepper, a pickled jalapeno and some texas toast to go with it, and get a cone of Bluebell ice cream afterwards.
You might also enjoy walking off the meal through the downtown. The one in Lockhart is typical Texas.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Personally I think you are trying to see too much to quickly. For the most part you are going to see the ugliest parts of each of the places you are visiting, the freeways.

I live in Austin and have traveled to and have spent weekends in each of the places you want to visit and still do not think I really have a good feel for what it would be like to live in them.

If you think this is important to do I'd recommend the following:

Monday - fly into San Antonio, spending the afternoon and night there.
Tuesday - Breakfast in SA, then drive to Austin, explore the area, spend the night in Austin.
Wednesday - AM: Drive to RR, breakfast and explore a little, PM: Drive to Dallas spend night there.
Thursday - Spend day exploring Dallas then FW. Spend night in FW.
Friday - Leave really early and drive back to San Antonio to catch plane.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM

202 posts, read 228,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Personally I think you are trying to see too much to quickly. For the most part you are going to see the ugliest parts of each of the places you are visiting, the freeways.

I live in Austin and have traveled to and have spent weekends in each of the places you want to visit and still do not think I really have a good feel for what it would be like to live in them.

If you think this is important to do I'd recommend the following:

Monday - fly into San Antonio, spending the afternoon and night there.
Tuesday - Breakfast in SA, then drive to Austin, explore the area, spend the night in Austin.
Wednesday - AM: Drive to RR, breakfast and explore a little, PM: Drive to Dallas spend night there.
Thursday - Spend day exploring Dallas then FW. Spend night in FW.
Friday - Leave really early and drive back to San Antonio to catch plane.
We will have to see what happens Tuesday in Austin/Round Rock. If we feel we can fill Wednesday there, we may just skip Dallas for now. Everything I am researching points us to the Austin burbs, not Dallas. We may have to make a second trip back in short order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: