Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM

30 posts, read 97,220 times

Advertisements

I know this has probably been hashed out here before. But, I wanted to know if there is any fresh info on bicycle/pedestrian friendly DFW suburbs. We will be moving to the DFW area later this year and I absolutely do not want to move to a community that is hemmed in by major thoroughfares that don't accommodate pedestrians and road bicyclists. I have been looking, in vane, for information online that would lead me to the "perfect" community where I could put my son's trailer on my bike and ride straight out of my driveway and ride far and safely. I don't want to have to drive to ride. I absolutely love the way a town looks on foot or from a bike. I love the freedom of just heading out from my house and getting somewhere without having to start my car.

I know everyone says that you're S.O.L if you want to ride, safely, in the DFW area. But, isn't there one little town, one little suburb, just one little oasis that is safe for those that love to walk and ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM

705 posts, read 1,758,949 times
how far is far for you with a trailer? Are you married to the idea of strictly road riding when you have the trailer? Plano has a great paved trail system, but it isn't for the true roadie. However, if you are looking to tote your little one 5-10 miles, Plano is ok - there are some restaurants accessable to the trails - groc stores, not so much. Also if you ride w/o kids on the road, Plano/Allen/McKinney have an active cycling community - PBA, which is Plano Bicycling Association. Check out their website. And Richardson Bike Mart is a big local bike shop - there are several locations - they have weekly rides too - try their website as well.

Another resource that will take you straight to cyclists rather than city specific info is bikeforums.net....there are regional forums there where you can get info re: bike friendliness of a specific area.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:37 PM

30 posts, read 97,220 times
Thanks, I'll check that forum out. My mother-in-law lives in Plano. It seems very congested to me. I'm not necessarily married to the idea of road riding only. For me, the idea is being able to leave my house on bike. I could ride to a trail. It becomes a chore to load up the bike, the trailer, the kid, etc. I don't want my hobby to become a chore. However, if it comes down to it, I'll load up and go check out the trails you are talking about. I would like to ride 20-30 miles by myself. I'm not too competitive. I do it to relax. I would probably like to ride around 10 miles or so with my son. He tires of it earlier than I do. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
How far out are you willing to go? For instance, up here in Argyle, there are plenty of country roads to ride on, and not near as much traffic. But it's also an hour or so to Dallas, and finding 20 or 30 miles of road would be very challenging.

If you are looking more immediate to Dallas, you're going to have a harder time. Dallas and its suburbs are very car-orientated, not pedestrian or bicycles.

Most (probably 99%) of the main thoroughfares have little to no bike accommodations. You just have to ride in the streets. What you want is a system of trails, it sounds like.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
White Rock Lake in Dallas is VERY popular for bike riding. It's a good ride all the way around the lake on the park roads and bike paths.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM

705 posts, read 1,758,949 times
I lived in the 75023 zip in Plano, adjacent to the trail system. From my house I crossed a quiet neighborhood street and was on the trail. It is a multiuse trail, lots of dog walkers and walkers/joggers - so a roadie who wants speed won't be happy. But from my house it was 5 miles by trail to a barnes and noble/starbucks and an On the Border restaurant, trail runs under streets mostly so no lights, and lightly traveled streets only to cross at a stop sign. Also located on the trails are several parks with play equipment, and you run adjacent to a creek with birds to feed.

Road riding - I rode by myself from my house north to Allen. Weaving through neighborhood streets I could get to north Allen and ride through residential areas, easily riding 30+ miles. I am a recreational cyclist who likes to go far but not fast.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 PM

216 posts, read 444,311 times
Dallas probably has a stronger biking community than any suburb around it. Not only Whiterock Lake but the trails that extend from there to Deep Ellum and north up to Lake Highlands and so on. These trails go through a lot of nice, family neighborhoods where you wouldn't have to worry about ending up on a busy road.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Inner city Dallas is going to have the best bike and pedestrian accomodations, for burbs Plano comes to mind first.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM

13 posts, read 36,726 times
Dallas' trails are imminently superior to any suburb in the area. If you want to drive everywhere, choose from 5 red-brick floorplans, not have home appreciation and the only dining options are a Chili's or Applebees -- then the suburbs are the place for you!

On the other hand, if you'd like a clean city, full of charm, trees and homes that actually go up in value even though they're old -- Dallas is the place.

The Katy trail runs through urban Dallas and is 3.5 miles long.
[URL]http://www.katytraildallas.org/site/DocServer/KATY-corpmap_2008_.pdf?docID=621[/URL]

White Rock lake has 20 miles of paved biking trails:
[URL]http://www.whiterocklake.org/pdf/advocatemap.pdf[/URL]

Reviews on the White Rock trails:
[url=http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/texas-trails/texas-dallas/trail/PRD_170487_4581crx.aspx]White Rock Lake Loop Trail Reviews[/url]

The burbs just don't have anything that comes remotely close.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Cedar Hill is nice in the hilly parts of Southwestern Dallas County. Its the highest elevation in North Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas