Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM

87 posts, read 261,916 times

Advertisements

Which do y'all think is a better school for a master program in business. You can use any methodology as a factor. I would just like to know which and why it is better, in your opinion.

Please pick one - no "ties or I can't decide"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

340 posts, read 645,707 times
Default Commerce vs. Denton

Since I do not know much about their Business programs, my methodology will be location. Commerce vs. Denton. Commerce is out in East Texas, semi-rural. My dad was raised out there and helped my grandparents run their dry-cleaning business for years. I have spent quite a bit of time out there...although it was 15 to 20 years ago. Commerce is nice if you want to get away from the world. If you want to go somewhere big like Dallas, it will take you more than an hour.

I took a tour of the Commerce campus but didn't see any programs that really interested me. I ended up going to Tarrant County College for my basics and an Associate Degree in Environmental Technology & Hazardous Materials, then transferred to UNT for a Bacholor Degree in Disaster Management. Denton is at the top of the metroplex. Hustle and bustle surround you on the south and east sides. It sits atop of the Interstate 35 confluence. You would be in a grassroots music/art mecca, with Dallas or Fort Worth being just a short drive down the road.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Don't know about the business programs specifically, but I've spent a lot of time on both campuses over the years both as a student and a presenter and conferences. The lifestyles you'll find are very different as the above poster stated......just depends on where you are comfortable and what you are looking for. I prefer Commerce myself, but then I like a slower pace, no traffic, smaller classes, lower cost of living and the personal attention I found there.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
UNT in Denton. You are going for your masters. You have GOT to get "connected" and by being closer to Dallas you can get a better internship and a better leg up on your career. Though I'd also suggest SMU or UT Austin.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
SMU would be a better bet. The Cox Business School is one of the best in the South.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
TCU is also better

the only reason to go to TAMU/Commerce is just so you can say you went to TAMU--much better alumni setup than UNT for any field but music which UNT excels in...

do an online class with UT Austin or TAMU
those classes usually meet once every two weeks or maybe once amonth

there are satellite offices in cities around the state if you are wanting a state college tuition vs private school...
check them out
know someone who did TAMU in Houston for his MBA

Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM

151 posts, read 348,500 times
Default UNT it is

I would say UNT over TAMU Commerce (or East Texas State University, as we used to call it) by a landslide. The Texas legislature plans to elevate one or two of its lesser universities to flagship status in the near future. UNT, U of Houston, and Texas Tech are among the candidates. TAMU-Commerce is NOT. Since the DFW Metroplex does not have a top-level research university (and no, SMU is not in that class), UNT has an excellent chance of being elevated. If that happens, all kinds of new money will flow in, and you would benefit by being in on that.

That said, I agree that SMU would be an excellent choice for an MBA and a better source of future connections than either UNT or TAMU-Commerce. I'm sure the difference in tuition would give you sticker shock, though.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM

87 posts, read 261,916 times
Everyone. Thanks for your input.

But please remember what the specific question is.
"UNT or TAMU-Commerce?"

Please do not bring other schools into the equation because this forum is only for the aforementioned.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
So you don't want advice on schools that would be much, much better then your current choices?

It's not as if an MBA alone is some magical document. The name of the school that issues it is a pretty big deal.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
I would say UNT over TAMU Commerce (or East Texas State University, as we used to call it) by a landslide. The Texas legislature plans to elevate one or two of its lesser universities to flagship status in the near future. UNT, U of Houston, and Texas Tech are among the candidates. TAMU-Commerce is NOT. Since the DFW Metroplex does not have a top-level research university (and no, SMU is not in that class), UNT has an excellent chance of being elevated. If that happens, all kinds of new money will flow in, and you would benefit by being in on that.

That said, I agree that SMU would be an excellent choice for an MBA and a better source of future connections than either UNT or TAMU-Commerce. I'm sure the difference in tuition would give you sticker shock, though.

this is not how it works at all.....there are specific criteria laid out already

endowment
PhDs awarded
Restricted Research Expenditures
member of NRL or PBK

and some others

any or all of the universities can reach the goal......there is also not a massive amount of money that will come from this there is already specific amounts out there to be obtained depending on criteria met with the majority of the money available after most of the criteria (and a few specific ones) are met

this also has little to do with business programs specifically since business programs are not usually research oriented at most universities and there are few grants available for most areas of business research

the reason that TAMU-C is not in the mix is because they offer only a few PhDs the are mostly an undergrad and masters level university

UNT is currently in dead last in most of the criteria to obtain the extra funding available and they are specifically last in several of the areas that MUST be met before additional funding is obtained

UTD is well ahead of the others in the metromess in the goals and criteria needed for additional funding, but still behind UH and TTU in most of those criteria

from the latest info available UH, TTU..UTD........UTA, UTSA....UNT UTEP would probably be about the order of where each stands with all the last 4 having many numerous, yet different, areas they need to improve upon and IMO several of those areas will be much easier for some to improve upon than others

as for the TAMU-C VS. UNT.......I had a horrible experience at UNT and I would not recommend it to anyone for anything other than music or basic education degrees, but I believe they will have a much broader department, their accounting program will be held in higher regard, and they will have slightly more name recognition

the college of business is better run than the program I was in at UNT (computer science) and they are getting a new building

at the same time I would imagine if you picked the wrong field at either university you would be disappointed in the worth of a masters in business or an MBA from either of them and yet if you picked the right field at either school, applied yourself, made a name with your professors, looked for in school QUALITY experience, and made the grades you would have a degree of the same worth form either school

I would narrow the field of study (accounting, BCIS, ect) look at the number of professors in that department at each school, try and meet several of them, visit the schools, look at the class sizes, and facilities, and choose the one where you feel you can make the best grades, make the biggest name for yourself, and take advantage of the most internships ect.

based on my experience there UNT is pretty close to a degree factory in most areas....but they are larger and better known (though probably only slightly outside the metromess) and that might be a slight edge if you feel all things are equal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas