Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Quite being so uptight. Houston's burbs have come up in this thread. Dallas' burbs and Fort Worth are fair game. If we can talk about the Woodlands as one of the benifits of being a unique thing about Houston, we can talk about Fort Worth being unique in the Dallas area since they are the same distance from Dallas/Houston respectively.
The difference being The Woodlands is there because of Houston. Fort Worth is it's own city with it's own suburbs. Completely different. Now, if we were talking about Galveston instead of The Woodlands, it'd be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is your point? I've never once been sneered at or treated with nastiness in Dallas. It's a very friendly and accepting culture whether you are in the most liberal areas (e.g., Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, etc.) or the most conservative areas (e.g., Lewisville, Frisco, Richardson, Addison, Denton, Carrollton, etc). I've never once been harassed and have always been impressed by the pervasive and salient amounts of multiculturalism and the ongoing friendliness of the people. The least friendly areas are Garland, Grand Prairie, and Fort Worth. It always seems very uptight, unwelcoming, and eerie in those areas.
Oh you're so right dude...Frisco, Lewisville, & Denton aren't even in Dallas County!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Dallas proper has been liberal for quite some time now. Why don't you take a stroll around East Dallas (i.e., white Dallas) and see how many Rick Perry signs you see in yards. I'll save you the time, they all say Bill White. And do you honestly want to compare Fort Worth's gay community to Dallas, "The Lavender heart of Texas"? The only time I've ever heard about gays in Fort Worth was the scandal a couple of years back when the cops raided a gay club and beat up on a bunch of people. I'm sure there are plenty of gays in Fort Worth, but they're surely not accepted like they are in Dallas.

Again, I want to clarify I love the City of Fort Worth, they have made the city a great place to live and play. It's the political climate and faux cowboy culture that I don't like.
Bill White is a Conservative Democrat, one of the very reasons I'm voting for him.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The difference being The Woodlands is there because of Houston. Fort Worth is it's own city with it's own suburbs. Completely different. Now, if we were talking about Galveston instead of The Woodlands, it'd be different.
Of course Galveston is an addition 20 miles from Houston as Fort Worth is from Dallas. So yes that would be different as well.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM

355 posts, read 468,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is strange how you left out all of the other major art museums and art venues in Dallas (e.g., The MAC, The Dallas Contemporary, The Meadows Museum, The Valley-House Sculpture Garden, The Latino Cultural Center galleries, The Goss, Dun and Brown, Central Trak, CraigHead-Green, Samuel Lynne Galleries, Excuses-Extreme Cafe, 500x, Kettle Art, and The Visual Arts Center at UT-Dallas).
Totally forgot all those, but hey that's great! Thanks for mentioning.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You talk like Fort Worth & Dallas are a world away when they're really not. Fort Worth has all the strip clubs, liquor stores, & gay districts that Dallas has only to a lesser extent because its a much smaller city. Dallas is by no means a liberal haven. There are "pockets" of liberalism in Dallas, but that's about it. Minorities moving in is the reason Dallas is starting to turn blue. It used to be a VERY conservative city up until the past couple of decades.
Uh I guess y'all don't get much news out in Tyler:

Raid on the Rainbow Lounge, Ft. Worth Texas - Dallas Gay Relationships | Examiner.com

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Two can play that game....

Another Dallas-area gay bar raid prompts questions | Breaking News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/6525523.html - broken link)

Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,556 times
Quote:
Dallas is by no means a liberal haven. There are "pockets" of liberalism in Dallas, but that's about it. Minorities moving in is the reason Dallas is starting to turn blue. It used to be a VERY conservative city up until the past couple of decades.
Dallas is a LOT more liberal than Fort Worth. "Minorities moving" is not the only reason Dallas IS blue (not turning blue--it has been Democratic for several years now). It's also young professionals coming in from other parts of the country, a growing gay and lesbian community, and more affluent Anglos moving back into the Uptown and city center from the suburbs who are more liberal. Yes, Dallas did used to be a very conservative city--it's not anymore. If anything, Dallas is now the opposite of what you said--a more liberal city with "pockets" of conservatism.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 PM

216 posts, read 444,256 times
Quote:
Bill White is a Conservative Democrat, one of the very reasons I'm voting for him.

Give me a break. Bill White is conservative to the point that he can remain a viable candidate in Texas. He aint Rick Perry.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Give me a break. Bill White is conservative to the point that he can remain a viable candidate in Texas. He aint Rick Perry.
All I know is top Tyler officials are endorsing Bill White. He's made several stops in Tyler during his campaign for Texas Governor in 2011 & it always draws a crowd.

Does that make lil ole Conservative Tyler Liberal now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas