Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

188 posts, read 374,491 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I am a lurker but finally I have some questions that I hope you can answer. I was offered and accepted a position near the San Angelo, TX area. I went to San Angelo 2 weekends ago and was pleasantly surprised by the friendly people there. (This is coming from a NJ life long resident)

I am African-American and so is DH and DD. Would you happen to know if there are any AA salons or barbershops in the San Angelo area or nearby? I am also friendly to hearing any Dominican or Latino Salons as well.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,986,853 times
I'm sure there are AA and Latino hair salons.There are enough populations of both to support them.Dominican very doubtful.

You say "near" San Angelo.What kind of job offer in the San Angelo area is not actually in SA?While SA is pretty much color blind,some of the small towns around it not so much.The rural school my kids went to had zero AA kids.Not that there is any overt racism,but some of the smaller agricultural communities are not as welcoming as SA itself.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM

188 posts, read 374,491 times
Thank you for your comments. I am working in Carlsbad, tx, at a state school, off of Hwy 87 just about 20 minutes from San Angelo. I will be living in San Angelo.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times
While Angelo has a large Hispanic community the AA community is small but it is there. North of downtown is where you'll find one if it exists.

We lived out there for 15 years and it's a great place to raise a family. Have to get used to a slower pace of life, but you're right ... the people are some of the best you'll find.

Just don't talk bad about anyone, they're either all related or went to school together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas