Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,597,637 times

Advertisements

Take the quiz and see where you stand.

I wuz a hunnert percent Rebel!!!!

Are You a Yankee or a Rebel? - alphaDictionary * Southern Accent Test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,270,802 times
Quote:
60% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,545,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Take the quiz and see where you stand.

I wuz a hunnert percent Rebel!!!!

Are You a Yankee or a Rebel? - alphaDictionary * Southern Accent Test
Bob, just glanced in and caught (= kawt! LOL) this and scored the same!

I was kinda suprised to find the "yankee" thread back up. Hell, I started it almost three years ago, not long after I first joined C-D. Like a lot from back then, I had pretty much forgotten about it!

Well, better get back to work. These first few weeks I pretty much have to confine reading and posting to weekends (except for the rare free moments! ).

Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,505,615 times
57% Dixie. Barely in Dixie.

Edit: The most southern/Texas things I had were calling it wrapping, a party barn, crawfish, and coke.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,289,632 times
"Deep in the Heart of Dixie"!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,264,919 times
Interestingly, the words that were the most definite were from my childhood in East Texas and were pretty equally divided between Texas, the Southeast, and the Northeast. (I got 84%, by the way, though I think that's not quite accurate because there were some words where either of two of the choices would have been equally accurate.) I tried to use the words as I grew up using them.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,545,817 times
Just as a quick note...definitely agreed that there were a couple of questions where more than one choice would have worked.

The one that most comes to mind is "Do you pronounced "cot" and "caught" the same? Well, I don't, so "No" would have been a proper answer. BUT...there was also the choice of "caught" = Kawt", and that is correct for me as well. So I just went with the latter since I figured there must be a reason why this particular choice is spelled out in such detail.

"PoBoy and "Sub" was another I had some difficulty deciding on. I grew up calling it the former, but I usually just say "sub" today as, since there are so many fast-food places featuring them these days, the term has just kinda grown on me, I chose it.

But anyway, yeah, some of the questions/choices were not completely cut and dried. Well, gotta get to a meeting. Everyone have a good evening!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,629,646 times
100% Dixie! Woo hoo

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,730,321 times
80%, not too bad.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,099,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just as a quick note...definitely agreed that there were a couple of questions where more than one choice would have worked.

The one that most comes to mind is "Do you pronounced "cot" and "caught" the same? Well, I don't, so "No" would have been a proper answer. BUT...there was also the choice of "caught" = Kawt", and that is correct for me as well. So I just went with the latter since I figured there must be a reason why this particular choice is spelled out in such detail.

"PoBoy and "Sub" was another I had some difficulty deciding on. I grew up calling it the former, but I usually just say "sub" today as, since there are so many fast-food places featuring them these days, the term has just kinda grown on me, I chose it.

But anyway, yeah, some of the questions/choices were not completely cut and dried. Well, gotta get to a meeting. Everyone have a good evening!
My results:

Quote:
57% Dixie. Barely in Dixie
I agree about some answers I really could've picked multiple choices especially the the front lawn sale one; I tend to call it either garage sale or yard sale. Also, for the little bugs; I call them either roly-poly or doodle bugs. Also, seriously......Soda is used more often in the south than coke imo. I've never in my life heard anyone refer to a soda as a coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas