Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

HEllo to all!
I am looking to move from Omaha NE to TExas. I would like to know what the best areas are for employment, schools, and housing. What areas or parts of town(for instance the North side and south side are not the best here in Omaha) to stay away from and what interesting things there are in these areas. I am looking for something comparable to the population here in omaha, I am in social services, and have a 10 year daughter. Any suggestions or information on relocating would be much appreciated!
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
What city are you looking at here in Tx? D-FW, Houston, and Austin are probably the best bets for employment, along with San Antonio. Population wise, I tend to think Austin and Ft Worth are closest to Omaha in population, although Ft Worth is part of a much larger metro. I could probably help with Houston, but I just know the nice parts of Austin and Ft Worth

Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Can you be more specific on "social services?" Do you mean you're a Social Worker? If so, you need to look at getting your license transferred to Texas. It can be a lengthy process. There are very few opportunities here for unlicensed social workers.

What is your budget for housing? That will be the big deciding factor.

Also, since most of our metro areas are BIG, it is much better to get the job first, then decide where to live. For example, if you decided to live in Plano, then got a job in Fort Worth, you would be looing at an hour commute each way.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
I have spent time in Omaha (well, Elkhorn and Bellvue, to be exact) and really liked it and the people there. I would say that Lubbock TX is the nearest you might come to finding an atmosphere and population similar to Omaha. It's growing, has good employment right now, is not an expensive place to live, has good schools and a large university there, and the traffic moves at about the same pace as Omaha. It is a very safe place to live if you are on the west or south part of town and there are a couple of nice suburbs that I would compare to Elkhorn. The climate is similar to Omaha but the winters are much shorter and the snow much less frequent. Housing prices are lower than Omaha and there is no state income tax in Texas alto you'll find property taxes higher. Car registration is MUCH cheaper in Texas than in NE, too. It has a good airport that is easily accessible and makes it easy to travel to other cities (Dallas is less than an hour away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas