Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times

Advertisements

What will you do for a job? Small towns generally don't have the best job possibilites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 PM

257 posts, read 610,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
What will you do for a job? Small towns generally don't have the best job possibilites.
Mechanic work, at a dealership, truck outfit, etc. Went to a trade school and worked at a GM dealership up here.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 AM

26 posts, read 50,851 times
I spent summers in San Angelo with my grandparents and later went to college for 2 years there. As a child, of course I didn't mind it. In college, I was always itching for something bigger (which is why I moved to San Antonio).

Now in hindsight, San Angelo actually had everything I really needed. It's big enough to function on its own but small enough to have that small-town feel (it's 100k population, though, FWIW). Kinda in the middle of West Texas, not much for scenery, but still a nice little place to raise a family.

The people there were probably the most "Texan" people I've encountered in the state. I live about an hour from San Antonio now and 45 minutes from Austin, and neither really have that "Texas" vibe that you sound like you're looking for.

Our economy is pretty stable compared to most states (that's NOT to say it's good, just better); even so, you'll probably want to get to know some people who can help you find work in your field before you commit to moving.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:32 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Mechanic work, at a dealership, truck outfit, etc. Went to a trade school and worked at a GM dealership up here.
Okay,thats cool.Just be sure to have a job before you move

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Hispanic culture in Texas geographically becomes lessened the further East you go. In Deep East Texas, Whites & Blacks are still the majority.

I would make that my starting point.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
But East TX doesn't have the Western feel that OP seemed to want. And Southeast Texas - the area around Jefferson County - is like an annex of Louisiana.

A very quintessentially Texas small town is Brady, which is the geographical heart of Texas, roughly between Austin and San Angelo.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
But East TX doesn't have the Western feel that OP seemed to want. And Southeast Texas - the area around Jefferson County - is like an annex of Louisiana.

A very quintessentially Texas small town is Brady, which is the geographical heart of Texas, roughly between Austin and San Angelo.
Brady would be good but any town west of the hill country such as San Saba, Junction, Llano. Farther west you get into the classic western towns such as Ft Stockton, Ozona and Alpine.

True old west I'd go with San Angelo or Alpine for their culture and arts. Angelo would offer a few bigger city features with the great western heritage.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM

257 posts, read 610,107 times
Ok thanks for the town names, ill research them!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Llano isn't west of the Hill Country. It's right in the Hill Country (despite the name meaning "plain" in Spanish). The drive on Hwy 71 West from Austin to Llano is one of the most beautiful in Texas IMO, especially in Spring when the blue bonnets and other wildflowers are in bloom. Perhaps more accurately Llano is sort of at the northwestern edge/end of the Hill Country. Another good, very Western town is Post, not far from Lubbock but on the Caprock, just before you climb onto the South Plains. Post is very cowboy but is also something of a little art colony with a lot of Western painters. To the immediate east you have the rugged, remote Caprock ranch land (unlike the flat farm land around Lubbock).

Overall, Alpine would be the most picturesque, truly unique place to live IMO (or nearby Fort Davis if you wanted a place even smaller than Alpine). I like San Angelo but it can't compete with Alpine for scenery (Alpine has better climate, as well). The advantage of San Angelo might be in it being easier to find a job there. With towns like Post, Llano or Brady you might find it difficult to get work or have a need to commute to a larger population centre in order to work, which might not be all that practical.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 PM

30 posts, read 85,995 times
hill country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas