U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SMACKDOWN...Which one of the two?
Chili without beans 20 57.14%
Chili with beans 12 34.29%
Catfish fried 25 71.43%
Catfish baked/steamed 4 11.43%
Okra fried 24 68.57%
Okra boiled/stewed 3 8.57%
Cornbread with sugar 13 37.14%
Cornbread without sugar 13 37.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,828,952 times

Advertisements

Ok, fellow Native Texans...

Here is a Smackdown poll as concerns some of the food items which have been discussed on the Frito pie and hot DP thread.

Keep in mind you can vote on more than one pairing. BUT...only on ONE within a set. For instance, don't vote on both varieties of catfish. But you CAN vote on your preference as to chili, catfish, okra, etc.

It is SMACKDOWN. It doesn't mean you can't actually love BOTH twins. It is just which of the two would you pick if it came down to brass tacks.

Go!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM

2,761 posts, read 4,875,590 times
OK, I guess if it comes down to a gotta pick, I voted chili w/o beans since I thought about it and I've eaten it way more times w/o beans than with, so....

I've never eaten catfish prepared any way but fried. I suppose boiled or stewed okra is much healthier for you, but since I'm most definitely not a healthy eater, the only way I eat okra (or yellow crooked neck squash) is FRIED.

I always put sugar in my cornbread. It's most definitely NOT sweet, but a little sugar just enhances the flavor. Try it Reb, you'll like it! Matter of fact, a little sugar sprinkled on that fried squash right before you take it up out of the skillet sure makes it better too!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM

9,428 posts, read 11,700,858 times
OK, I voted for chili without beans just to make you happy. Seriously, I like it both ways, I don't have a preference really, but I know without is the REAL Texas chili. Catfish, sorry. Don't like the stuff, didn't vote. Fried okra, love it and I take my cornbread without sugar and baked preferably in a cast iron skillet.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
OK, I guess if it comes down to a gotta pick, I voted chili w/o beans since I thought about it and I've eaten it way more times w/o beans than with, so....

I've never eaten catfish prepared any way but fried. I suppose boiled or stewed okra is much healthier for you, but since I'm most definitely not a healthy eater, the only way I eat okra (or yellow crooked neck squash) is FRIED.

I always put sugar in my cornbread. It's most definitely NOT sweet, but a little sugar just enhances the flavor. Try it Reb, you'll like it! Matter of fact, a little sugar sprinkled on that fried squash right before you take it up out of the skillet sure makes it better too!
As you allude to, LS, since when did healthy eating habits became part of the Texas food tradition? I kinda figure it this way: Texas/Southern comfort food is not meant to lengthen your life span. It is meant to be enjoyed and make you go to sleep very happy and all be right with the Universe.

Amen!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,910,144 times
As for catfish.......I like it all ways, but I never eat it fried away from home. I have never, ever had good fried catfish in any restaurant, period. If I ever order it out, it's going to be grilled.

I hate fried veggies......always have. I think it makes a soggy mess out of something that is just really good grilled, stir-fried, MWed, steamed, sometimes raw......but not rolled in cornmeal and dunked in grease...ugh!! It's not even a health thing...I just don't like soggy, greasy food, and that is what fried okra, fried squash, and fried green tomatoes are to me. Throw them on the grill with your meat...yum!!!

I even prefer potatoes (which are not a veggie) sliced as for fries......lightly oiled, seasoned with whatever (pepper, parmesan, chile powder, etc) and baked in the oven.

Now if you want to talk chicken-fried steak or fried deer meat, that's another story altogether!

I like cornbread with and without sugar.

I like chili with and without beans. I just make it more often with beans, for some reason.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
OK, I voted for chili without beans just to make you happy. Seriously, I like it both ways, I don't have a preference really, but I know without is the REAL Texas chili. Catfish, sorry. Don't like the stuff, didn't vote. Fried okra, love it and I take my cornbread without sugar and baked preferably in a cast iron skillet.
Your great mention and truth of a seasoned cast iron skillet being a must for good cookin' makes up for that you don't like catfish! LOL

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,910,144 times
Yep....can't get along without those great seasoned cast iron skillets, griddles, grills and chicken fryers!

A 10-inch grill makes the best pizza and flour tortillas......I often make my biscuits in either the skillet or the griddle, too!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 PM

2,761 posts, read 4,875,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Texas/Southern comfort food is not meant to lengthen your life span. It is meant to be enjoyed and make you go to sleep very happy and all be right with the Universe.

Amen!
Sure works for me!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 PM

36,551 posts, read 40,339,876 times
If it don't have beans, with sugar and fried it ain't fit to eat.

Maybe we'll see that at the State Fair in dallas this year....

Fried beans with a cornbread & sugar coating. Yum !

Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 PM

For those who remember the days of Hee Haw and Grampaw...

Hey, Grampaw...what's fer supper?

Chicken fried steak and black-eyed peas, and a bowl of chili without the beans.

Catfish fried and okra too, not gonna put 'em in a stew...

Pinto beans with hot corn-bread, ain't no sugar in this spread. Some spicy chow-chow right on top....and homegrown 'maters from the lot.

Puh'kahn pie for desert... fill yore tummy 'til it hurts...

-- By TexasReb.

This masterpiece of doggeral poetry is lovingly dedicated to all my Texas Forum friends. Hee Hee

With, of course, respectful apologies to the memory of Grandpaw Jones and Junior Samples..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or