Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_se View Post
Just curious why some people from other parts of the country think we're all ignorant, un educated, rednecks down here? I'm sure they wont admit it but if you talk a little slower and have some what of a southern accent, you will be judged. By the way, i was born in Houston and raised here and San Antonio and dont THINK i have an accent lol.
These stereotypes will change...The state's population is booming, the state becomes more powerful each decade nationally..People will become more informed about it and these stereotypes will stop.Be patient !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I doubt that the stereotypes will ever stop. If Texas becomes more dominant, that will only serve to reinforce them since residents elsewhere will resent Texas. And, let's face it, there ARE some ignorant Texans. In addition, much of the advertising from and PR about Texas plays up the stereotypes.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_se View Post
Just curious why some people from other parts of the country think we're all ignorant, un educated, rednecks down here? I'm sure they wont admit it but if you talk a little slower and have some what of a southern accent, you will be judged. By the way, i was born in Houston and raised here and San Antonio and dont THINK i have an accent lol.
There's something about being judged by someone who can not speak without some extra help from his hands and is physically incapable of pronouncing an "R" that is particularly annoying.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
George Bush is clearly responsible for some of that bad reputation. However, Texas has earned it in other ways as well.

It is not a stereotype, it is a fact. Texas has an extremely poor record of educating its young.

Quote:
PolitiFact Texas | Texas has the 43rd best graduation rate in the United States

"Our (Texas) graduation rate ranks 43rd out of 50 states." February 1st, 2010 i

The budget board's depressing ranking indeed matched CQ's, which used data from the National Education Association in Washington and the National Center for Education Statistics to compare the estimated number of public high school graduates in 2009 with the number who were enrolled in 9th grade in fall 2005.

Vermont ranked first, with 96.6 percent graduating. South Carolina ranked last with 55.2 percent; Washington, D.C., isn't included. The national rate of graduating students in 2009 was 69.3 percent.

Texas' graduation rate has been sliding. In 2001 the state ranked 35th, with 65 percent of students graduating from high school. In 2008, Texas ranked 42nd with 62.6 percent of students graduating.
Quote:
Five Texas Colleges Have Graduation Rates Above 50%

ONLY Five Texas Colleges Have Graduation Rates Above 50% 05-11-10

Texas has long championed an effort to increase state college enrollment rates. But data from the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics reveals that there may be a lack of follow-through once students are on campus: out of the state's 32 universities, a mere five graduate more than half their attendees.

The University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University have the highest graduation rates: Both graduate 78 percent of their students in six years or less, but that's still a step behind national peers like the University of California-Los Angeles and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, which graduate 90 percent and 88 percent, respectively. At the bottom of the Texas list is Texas Southern University, which graduates just 12 percent of students in six years, followed by the University of Houston-Downtown and the University of Texas at Brownsville, each at 16 percent.
Quote:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Texas is rated at 35th place compared to other states on public school spending per pupil.

The District of Columbia spent more money per student ($13,187) than any state in the country in 2001-2002, according to a June 2004 report by the U.S. Census Bureau. Near the top of the list were New York ($11,546), New Jersey ($11,436), Connecticut ($10,001) and Massachusetts ($9,856). Texas spends only ($6,746).
The state of Wyoming, a very rural, sparsely populated place, does a better job of educating its young then Texas does. Wyoming is rated at 11th place with a spending per student of $8,667.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
George Bush is clearly responsible for some of that bad reputation. However, Texas has earned it in other ways as well.
....(i.e. vice Presidents shooting prominent Austin lawyers in the face while hunting)

I couldn't agree more, it doesn't help that this gun death Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedchart shows that 25 states are mostly represented by southern states.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

It is not a stereotype, it is a fact. Texas has an extremely poor record of educating its young.

The state of Wyoming, a very rural, sparsely populated place, does a better job of educating its young then Texas does. Wyoming is rated at 11th place with a spending per student of $8,667.
The spending per student...Tsss...These measures are ridiculous...If you have a bad school system the money won't change anything.
You can't compare Texas and Wyoming because Texas has a big hispanic population who is not well-educated, sometimes illegal.
California lived the same thing..In the 70s it had the best schools in the US but now they're among the worst (not universities but secondary/high schools yes)

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You can't compare Texas and Wyoming because Texas has a big hispanic population who is not well-educated, sometimes illegal.
I suppose some could take offense, to your statement about hispanics not being well-educated. Being part hispanic myself and always being on A-B honor roll I can say this for sure; If we as a human race give up on a group of people we're doomed. I do believe if we (Texans) spent more on our kids and didn't assume that the color of their skin dictated their IQ we'd all be better off.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDerek View Post
....(i.e. vice Presidents shooting prominent Austin lawyers in the face while hunting)

I couldn't agree more, it doesn't help that this gun death Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedchart shows that 25 states are mostly represented by southern states.
Of the top 25 less than half are southern states ... what gives????

Was danged disappointed in Texas not making the top 25 ... guess we'd just as soon put a boot in yo azz as put a bullet in your head ... just a hypothesis at this point !

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM

298 posts, read 596,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Yes yes yes!!! There's some dish network commercials with regional fans, and the one with Cowboy fans is unreal. Nobody in Texas talks like that unless they are from Kentucky.
I never been to Texas...you mean Texans talk like me? Dang, I feel better, I thought we were the only ones that talk like this, least that's what I been told.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDerek View Post
I suppose some could take offense, to your statement about hispanics not being well-educated. Being part hispanic myself and always being on A-B honor roll I can say this for sure; If we as a human race give up on a group of people we're doomed. I do believe if we (Texans) spent more on our kids and didn't assume that the color of their skin dictated their IQ we'd all be better off.
I didn't mean ALL hispanics, some of them are doctors, lawyers, engineers ...But the overall graduation rate is weaker about hispanics (13% have a bachelors degree or more but in the US it's about 25%).
Sorry, no offense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas