Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM

252 posts, read 724,495 times

Advertisements

I agree. Rice is so buried in academia that it's hard to notice them. Out of all the top 20 schools, they probably have the least recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
I agree. Rice is so buried in academia that it's hard to notice them. Out of all the top 20 schools, they probably have the least recognition.

Rice is also very small. They just don't generate the same number of grads as the othe schools.

As far as the rankings, I can see a little merit to it. As a manager, I've had opportunities to hire from schools all over the place. A&M students often do make very good employees, and tend to be able to move up in the org well. That being said, it always comes down to the individual, I've had great employees from both A&M and UT (as well as a myriad of other schools).

I will say that out of the pool of students that I have recruited, trained, and employed over the years, as a general pool of applicants, UT students have tended to be a little on the more arrogant side coming in fresh. It usually takes them about six months for them to realize that they actually know nothing and will have to put in their dues and bust their butts like everywhere else. Once they get it, however, they are just like any other college hire...clueless for the most part.

In college hires, I'm looking for someone willing to bust their butt, learn quickly, and be willing to try new things. A little bit of arrogance can ruin that in the short term.

If a college hire is humble enough to know he has to learn from me and the others on his team, work hard, he/she will get projects that may involve a little bit of "grunt" work, but will show they can deliver, so I can be confident to give more and more advanced projects/work to.

Perhaps its a reflection of the body of people that may typically attend each school. A&M tends to cater to a more conservative student body, and perhaps a school like UT caters to a more liberal student body. Most companies run to the conservative side, for the most part. Just a hypothesis.

Penn State is also very high on the list and I can attest to at least one employee that I've had from Penn State was awesome as well. Maybe somethign to it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
Quote:
Rice is also very small. They just don't generate the same number of grads as the othe schools.
True, I was thinking that Stanford and Rice had roughly the same under of undergrads but Stanford seems to have at least as many undergrads than Rice has total students.

Quote:
I will say that out of the pool of students that I have recruited, trained, and employed over the years, as a general pool of applicants, UT students have tended to be a little on the more arrogant side coming in fresh. It usually takes them about six months for them to realize that they actually know nothing and will have to put in their dues and bust their butts like everywhere else. Once they get it, however, they are just like any other college hire...clueless for the most part.
What major were you mostly recruiting for? I think that would play a large factor as well.

Quote:
Perhaps its a reflection of the body of people that may typically attend each school. A&M tends to cater to a more conservative student body, and perhaps a school like UT caters to a more liberal student body.
I seriously doubt this is the case and you're painting with too broad of a brush here. Not sure how you're trying to correlate lifestyle/politics so broadly over to work performance.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Private schools get higher ratings than public universities. When they are that small its hard to get a real feel. The University of California has 17 libraries on campus and a huge variety of graduate programs. Around the world its almost always rated as the top public university. It has the highest percentage of grads who were in the top 10% of their high school classes (but Harvard was less than 1% behind). Its rival is Stanford which has much less to offer as far as variety but Stanford kids are substantially richer.

Michigan is like Berkeley to a lessor extent- a huge variety of subjects and graduate programs. Its hard to compare Rice to Michigan- its like apples and oranges, or maybe an apple to a watermelon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: