Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I would like to know how much I'll be paid there
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
There is no simple answer to this question. If your degree is in history, you will earn very little. If you are a chemical engineer, you could earn $70K per year or more.

Engineers who graduate from Texas A&M or UT can easily earn $50K and much more depending on their area of expertise.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is no simple answer to this question. If your degree is in history, you will earn very little. If you are a chemical engineer, you could earn $70K per year or more.

Engineers who graduate from Texas A&M or UT can easily earn $50K and much more depending on their area of expertise.
I understand, I tell you more :
I study the Langues Etrangères Appliquées (France) or in english university language course with emphasis on business and management.
My jobs preference :
-Interpreter
-Translator
-Marketing Manager
And if it's not Houston..Dallas or Austin are ok ^^

Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
This is where you need to get clever. Being native French speaking and with an excellent command of the English language along with exposure to your biz and management concepts and use, it seems you might want to start with contacting international French companies with offices in Houston, Dallas AND/or Austin.

Next, look into U.S. companies with contact abroad that might be interested in your language skills. Oil companies come to mind. Bear in mind though, many Euro companies already communicate in English.

Look into colleges and universities in your preferred locales that would be interested in your teaching French to dumbass college kids. Contact the Alliance Francaise to see if they have any assist. Or the French American Chamber of Commerce.

Your major problem is going to find out what is required of you to even work in the U.S. As a French citizen, you can't just jump off the jumbo jet and start working somewhere. You will need papers to PROVE you are allowed to work in the U.S. Any time a U.S. citizens even applies for a job they have to check a box on the applications that they swear they have the right work in the U.S.

Nobody wants to deny you the right to work, it's just the law.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Its too broad to say. Most salaries with college degree start of around 30,000 USD per year. What you want to look for is a company with lots of advancement opportunity.

Just dont expect to be making a lot your first two years or so. You have to work for it.

If you are interested in the DFW area, maybe these guys can help:

http://www.faccdallas.com/

http://www.afnorthtexas.org/se3bin/c...name=school342

I know Houston has similar organizations. Not sure about Austin.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
This is where you need to get clever. Being native French speaking and with an excellent command of the English language along with exposure to your biz and management concepts and use, it seems you might want to start with contacting international French companies with offices in Houston, Dallas AND/or Austin.

Next, look into U.S. companies with contact abroad that might be interested in your language skills. Oil companies come to mind. Bear in mind though, many Euro companies already communicate in English.

Look into colleges and universities in your preferred locales that would be interested in your teaching French to dumbass college kids. Contact the Alliance Francaise to see if they have any assist. Or the French American Chamber of Commerce.

Your major problem is going to find out what is required of you to even work in the U.S. As a French citizen, you can't just jump off the jumbo jet and start working somewhere. You will need papers to PROVE you are allowed to work in the U.S. Any time a U.S. citizens even applies for a job they have to check a box on the applications that they swear they have the right work in the U.S.

Nobody wants to deny you the right to work, it's just the law.
Yeah I know I must obtain a green card (and become american later ).That won't be easy but if I have a bachelor's degree I guess they won't reject me because the US needs skilled workers, particularly in the translation area (apparently there is shortage ^^)

LAnative : yeah apparently 30,000 USD is the average at the beginning, but it's a good salary for someone in Houston ? In France it's pretty ok but we are overtaxed too ^^

Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
you'll scrape by on $30k in houston.

I 'll second the above poster, you need to find either a french company in need of your services or an american company that does work with the french.

Im in the petro/chem production engineering business and Ive never worked with a French company.
austin and dallas may be a better choice for you.
what does the french do ?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
To come work in the US, you will have to find a company to sponsor you for a work visa. These are usually the H1B for technical/specialty professions (such as engineers), the H2B for seasonal workers in the agriculture industry, or the L category of intercompany transfers. In order for a company to sponsor a foreign worker, they have to show that they cannot find a US citizen to do the work, and they must get a labor certification of need approved by the US Department of Labor. VERY few companies are sponsoring foreign workers any more for three reasons: 1. US unemployment is about 10%, so good US citizen workers are easy to find, 2. the entire process from filing the labor certification to having the worker start working takes over 6 months, and 3. It is VERY expensive (usually $10,000 USD) to get the whole process completed.

Honestly, your best chance for coming to the US to work is to enter and win a Green Card through the Diversity Visa Lottery. Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery Looks like the draw for 2012 visas begins in October 2010, so you need to get started ASAP!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Here's the problem as I see it from my perspective working for a government agency:

Due to the economy, lots of people are returning back to school in hopes of increasing their odds of getting employed in the work place. The problem is...lots of other people are doing it too for the very same reason. So, you have a bunch of people going back to school....and Masters/BS, etc are a dime a dozen these days......but who does the employer hire??? Well, he hires the guy that has real-world experience and skills...with EXPERIENCE being the main factor. My opinion is...if you're going to school...you may as well look at doing a full-time internship in the field with an employer in an industry you want to get into.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM

128 posts, read 130,249 times
I think there's no labor certification for the H1B anymore. But it's a degree after all, it will help to qualify for it. Just have to look a little harder for the right position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas