Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Yes.But these states have a low population growth, Texas has a strong population growth.Without strong pop growth Texas would have a lower unemployment rate because 130,000 jobs has been created since January !
Damn out of staters taking our jobs.

We need to close the borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM

38 posts, read 68,566 times
Texas is simply amazing.

I don't agree with all the politics, and southern racism gets on my nerves, but at least I know it's there.

In the north, people are covert racists, and too many damn liberals. I myself am fiercely independant, though I vote red more often, go figure.

Living down in San Antonio in the army, and my wife's time living down with family, coupled with the shear number of jobs.... Makes ya wonder what Texas did that retarded Michigan should have did.

The Family Guy spoofs of Texas are hilarious though.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CardPokerSlave View Post
The only thing better in Michigan is our handgun laws. We have preemption, and we are an opencary state.
OUCH! Wow, you really know how to hit Texans where it hurts. That's Ok, I guess we deserved that for being so cocky about our economy.

It is a damn crying shame that in 2010 Texas doesn't have open carry. Down right embarrassing really.

I actually prefer concealed carry most the time, but there are days, mostly in the heat of summer, that it would sure be nice to be able carry openly and not worry about trying to conceal. Oh well, such is life.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 AM

38 posts, read 68,566 times
It's shocking that as liberal as Michigan is, we have some damn fine handgun laws!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I wonder how many of those were Mcjobs that don't pay a livable wage.

Texas is great at creating these types of jobs to keep people off the government teat, which is a positive thing. But at the same time a huge underclass is developing before us.
I don't know the answer to this question, but even if you go big and suppose 70% of those jobs in Texas created over the past 10 years fall into this category - the remaining 30% "real jobs" still ties Texas with the #2 state Florida, and that's only if you further suppose that 0% of Florida's jobs fit the "Mcjobs" description.

I think 70% is way too big a percentage on the one hand and 0% is way too small on the other. Any way you cut it in between - the data are impressive.

(even if you say 100% of the Texas jobs were "Mcjobs" and don't count any of them - Texas still beats half the other states)

Last edited by tyanger; 09-27-2010 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typos and math error

Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM

78 posts, read 290,240 times
Meh. My view on Texas's economy is this..... its the energy sector that makes Texas's economy go round. Everything else trickles down from that. All the money from the energy sector helps to diversify Texas's economy.

Exxon Mobile (HQ-ed in TX) made $45 billion in profit in 2008 and almost $20 billion in 2009.

Granted, Exxon is the biggest oil company in the world but there are plenty of other big energy companies in Texas and I'm fairly certain most are very profitable as well.

When the oil and energy teet runs dry in Texas, there's going to be some serious hurtin' in this state..... but I don't anticipate that happening for at least another 15-20 years .

Conservative politics don't hurt but it doesn't help nearly as much as people think (or else other conservative red states would be just as prosperous as TX).

Last edited by xmod; 09-28-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod View Post
Meh. My view on Texas's economy is this..... its the energy sector that makes Texas's economy go round. Everything else trickles down from that. All the money from the energy sector helps to diversify Texas's economy.

Exxon Mobile (HQ-ed in TX) made $45 billion in profit in 2008 and almost $20 billion in 2009.

Granted, Exxon is the biggest oil company in the world but there are plenty of other big energy companies in Texas and I'm fairly certain most are very profitable as well.

When the oil and energy teet runs dry in Texas, there's going to be some serious hurtin' in this state..... but I don't anticipate that happening for at least another 15-20 years .

Conservative politics don't hurt but it doesn't help nearly as much as people think (or else other conservative red states would be just as prosperous as TX).
Oil in Texas = 10% of GDP (40% in 1970), the oil influence diminishes !

Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Texas is gaining in the lowest paying jobs- be aware of that. The jobs have nothing to do with politics. Texas gained even more jobs in the 80's proportionally when Dems were governor.
OIl is not Democratic or Republican but its valuable.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Texas is gaining in the lowest paying jobs- be aware of that. The jobs have nothing to do with politics. Texas gained even more jobs in the 80's proportionally when Dems were governor.
OIl is not Democratic or Republican but its valuable.
I'd be interested to see the figures for this breakdown. I have not been able to find any actual numbers. Do you happen to have a link(s) to some pertinent data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas