Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for Texas Governor?
Kathie Glass - Libertarian 4 3.74%
Rick Perry - Republican 33 30.84%
Deb Shafto - Green 0 0%
Bill White - Democratic 70 65.42%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
TT Dave - White Cut taxes

Perry forced school districts to raise taxes because if not enough money to suit him was raised locally - then the govs accountability committee would give districts a low rating
White also increased Houston's debt significantly and created huge pension funding problems.

As for schools - you have no idea what you are talking about. Local property taxes actually declined in 2006 as the state portion of funding was increased. There is no governor accountability committee. Most school districts would LIKE to raise taxes and be freed of some restrictions placed on them by state laws.

I suggest you focus on your favorite topic, Prop 19 in California.

Last edited by hoffdano; 10-30-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Go White!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
White!!!!!!

Renaud - you have no idea. Perry has not been instrumental in anything good here. The internet cannot tell you everything, my friend.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 PM

423 posts, read 823,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What would you do about the budget?
With nothing left to cut they'll have to turn to new sources of revenue. I know legalizing gambling and marijuana sounds desirable to many but it won't be enough, so they also will have to consider personal income tax + they could easily decommission some of the state agencies (starting with TABC).

But it's not gonna happen. Perry (who is most likely gonna win) will use this opportunity to make more budget cuts, starting with education (because we all know that an intelligent voter is every republican politician's worst nightmare), and blame the budget hole on a federal government. Lucky for him it'll be good enough explanation for the average local republican voter whose mentality of a 3rd grader simply won't allow him to question or doubt anything he hears on faux news.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Renuad is nothing but a Perry hack. He constantly pontificates about how the Governor brought jobs to this state but fails to mention how the Governor has his personal Texas Enterprise Fund where he get to play with $47.6 million dollars of Texas Taxpayer dollars. This statement is based on a story in the Dallas Morning News written on February 15, 2010. Perry thinks he is leading by example, and Renuad is sucking on the Perry teat.

Read the story here:

Rick Perry to trim his office's budget to 'lead by example' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Politics | The Dallas Morning News

I voted for Bill White.

I am wondering how the Legislature will make me, a honest, hard working tax paying person, fund the $18-24 billion shortfall? Answer: new taxes. No way around that big elephant in my living room.

Mr Perry, you sir have no respect in my home.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM

86 posts, read 96,409 times
I certainly would not mind raising the sales tax by 1% or so. Perry keeps saying how he wants to cut taxes. But he, and most Republicans, forget that a state does have certain obligations. Why do you think there's a 20 billion deficit? Cutting everything is NOT the answer. But that's what Perry will do. The schools will suffer, infrastructure, education will suffer ( well, it's not like it can get much lower. We've already hit the bottom ), and I wouldn't be surprised if he will cut state health care programs. And then everybody will be upset, of course. I might be a liberal, but I would give him credit if he deserved it. But he dosen't have anything to show, unfortunately.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Toss up between Perry and White.

Just kidding, I will probably vote for White but Perry will end up winning.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Toss up between Perry and White.

Just kidding, I will probably vote for White but Perry will end up winning.
Maybe but if Ann Richards can do it, then so can Bill White.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM

64 posts, read 104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Welcome to the forum - I see this is your second post ever on this forum.

White may well be thought of highly in Washington D.C. - I don't doubt that for a minute. Unfortunately for those D.C. folks, they don't get to pick the Governor of Texas.

Newby Texans and newby posters to the Texas boards are supporting White big time, but the real deal Texans understand what is happening, and will vote to protect this state - it's not so much political party for us as it is results and the State itself. Again ... welcome to the Texas forum.
Thank you for the welcome... and for your qualifiers. Yup, am a “newbie” to this forum and will occassionally visit. I’m a musician and am on the road alot so can’t spend alot of time on forums such as this - again, nice to visit though. I doubt however, that the number of posts people have is indicative of anything more than... having time to post, huh?

Am sure there are alot of “newby” Texans who visit this forum researching localities. Unfortunately, Kibby, I am not one of them. Native born west Texan and I’ve lived all over the state in my 57 years here. When you make assumptions (such as you did), you come up with conclusions (such as you did), that are generally wrong... such as yours are.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,645 times
Rick Perry

BEAT THAT ASS! BEAT THAT ASS!

bill white what a stuffed bag of dung.....next time if you want to win pick someone that actually has a clue, a plan, and something other to offer other than the support of the dumb and the dependent

for those that are embarrassed there are 5 different places you can flee to and even a large body of water you can jump in as well.....you should pick one and head on out......several of those other choices may well prefer that you keep on driving right on through them as well to some other place that will welcome your support of high taxes and double digit unemployment mixed in with union corruption and social entitlement

see ya! won't miss your poor driving or your pathetic vote choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas