U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better party scene?
Dallas 23 50.00%
Houston 24 52.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM

2,841 posts, read 4,636,472 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, another Dallas/Houston thread. I'm sorry. I don't believe this topic has really been discussed though.

I recently overheard a conversation at work tonight and they were saying that Dallas area has a better party scene compared to Houston. One guy was saying that Houston is the 4th largest city, but like 50th when it comes to parties. They were really talking about the scene after football games and such. He also went on to say Houston was a little slower on that than Dallas. Any opinions? They both seem on par if you ask me, but I'm not 100% sure.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 PM

4,246 posts, read 10,949,702 times
Austin

oh wait.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 PM

12,510 posts, read 24,150,169 times
Both are equal in my eyes.

Austin undoubtabley has the youngest party scene in Texas (18-21) while Dallas & Houston's tends to be a little bit older (21-35).

Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 AM
k_s

408 posts, read 816,612 times
As with any large city, you have to make your own fun.

Both cities have a lot going on -- it's just a matter of preference and getting out to see said events.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 AM

10,171 posts, read 13,582,324 times
It depends on what you want and what you mean.

It can be split between genre of music to the type of demographic.
For example nightlife in Houston for Asians is absolutely beautiful: (I'm giving example of Asian nightlife because many don't know much on it)
- Illusion
- Crobar
- Bristal
(Three of the best South Asian nightlife spots/clubs)
- Roxy
- Davien
(Some of the best East Asian nightlife spots/clubs)
* Please note those were just the first examples to come to mind when giving examples for nightclubs specialized by certain demographics. I know Houston's nightlife well, and it is far larger than Austin's just more sporadic and spread out which gives it a semi-disadvantage.
I also would have included some African American/White/Latino nightclubs and stuff but there are way to many to list.

Houston specializes in Bars & Sports Bars, I believe its the city with one of the largest bar presence in the USA.

Then for genre of music:
- Houston excels at Hip Hop
- Houston is decent on Electronica/Techno/Trance (my personal favorite genre)
- Houston is pretty good with Jazz
- Houston is good with country
- Houston is decent with Rock

Now for Dallas, you have a specialization in techno music, and its pretty comparable to Houston's nightlife. The trade off is Houston excels at Hip Hop more, and Dallas excels at Techno more. But both are comparable.

Its a pretty good tie between both. I still like Austin's nightlife best! But thats because I'm in my early 20's and go to school in Austin and 5th, 6th, 7th street are easily accessible as they are only a mile or two away from the campus!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,390,633 times
I agree with Danny. It depends on what you like.

For Hip-hop and Jazz I would give the edge to Houston.

For Techno/Electronic Dance Music and Hard Rock, I would give the edge to Dallas.

Other than that its pretty equal. For what I like, Dallas would be my choice for better nightlife. However, I can see why someone would like Houston more too.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 AM

216 posts, read 398,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Both are equal in my eyes.

Austin undoubtabley has the youngest party scene in Texas (18-21) while Dallas & Houston's tends to be a little bit older (21-35).
I agree, and I prefer both Dallas and Houston. Every year I get older, the happier I am I don't live in a college town.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:55 AM

9,223 posts, read 14,392,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I agree with Danny. It depends on what you like.

For Hip-hop and Jazz I would give the edge to Houston.

For Techno/Electronic Dance Music and Hard Rock, I would give the edge to Dallas.

Other than that its pretty equal. For what I like, Dallas would be my choice for better nightlife. However, I can see why someone would like Houston more too.
Yeah, this is pretty much the answer. Depends on what you like.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM

845 posts, read 1,940,648 times
There's a lot of stuff going on in both Dallas and Houston at night. Both are even as nominal party towns.

I kinda prefer the eccentric feel and make-up of Houston, though.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:46 AM

2,629 posts, read 2,785,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
It depends on what you want and what you mean.

It can be split between genre of music to the type of demographic.
For example nightlife in Houston for Asians is absolutely beautiful: (I'm giving example of Asian nightlife because many don't know much on it)
- Illusion
- Crobar
- Bristal
(Three of the best South Asian nightlife spots/clubs)
- Roxy
- Davien
(Some of the best East Asian nightlife spots/clubs)
* Please note those were just the first examples to come to mind when giving examples for nightclubs specialized by certain demographics. I know Houston's nightlife well, and it is far larger than Austin's just more sporadic and spread out which gives it a semi-disadvantage.
I also would have included some African American/White/Latino nightclubs and stuff but there are way to many to list.

Houston specializes in Bars & Sports Bars, I believe its the city with one of the largest bar presence in the USA.

Then for genre of music:
- Houston excels at Hip Hop
- Houston is decent on Electronica/Techno/Trance (my personal favorite genre)
- Houston is pretty good with Jazz
- Houston is good with country
- Houston is decent with Rock

Now for Dallas, you have a specialization in techno music, and its pretty comparable to Houston's nightlife. The trade off is Houston excels at Hip Hop more, and Dallas excels at Techno more. But both are comparable.

Its a pretty good tie between both. I still like Austin's nightlife best! But thats because I'm in my early 20's and go to school in Austin and 5th, 6th, 7th street are easily accessible as they are only a mile or two away from the campus!
Exactly..i'm a young mid 20 black male..and I love Dallas but as far as Texas I feel as though Houston has the best scene and one of the best in the country when it comes to young blacks nightlife scene..but Dallas isn't far behind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or