Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Well, too much to answer, but I will say that birthday parties are a simple and fun thing with so little fuss needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I never invited my whole class to my brithday parties; My birthday parties as a child usually consisted of tons of family members and close friends.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
My daughter is in 2nd grade now, but last year there was one girl she didn't want to invite from her class and 2 from other classes she did want to invite. I had to go to her school at lunchtime and hand the 2 girls an invitation discreetly so no other kids saw what I was doing. This year she pretty much likes everyone in her class and wants to invite them, which is fine with me, but mainly it's because I know most of her friends/classmates parents.

I like momof2's idea of going at lunch. That way you see who their friends are and it's easier to hand out invitations without too many kids noticing.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Moderator cut: rude You keep talking about what is practical and easy for you. What it boils down to is etiquette!!!! It is just rude to disclude kids. It's like passing out birthday treat cupcakes to only your kids friends. Now do you see how rude it is???? If you want to pass out just a few invites do it away from school on your own, done.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-29-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
wonder how the party turned out

Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wonder how the party turned out
Yes, I wonder too. There have probably been a couple of parties since then.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Yes, I wonder too. There have probably been a couple of parties since then.
and still no invitation for me

I want cake

Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Just made the mistake of sending invitations to Kindergarten with my son on Friday. I have met and gotten the contacts of 2 of the parents in his class, but being that he is my only child in school and his first year, I thought it would also be a nice way to get to meet as many other parents as possible since I have only been able to meet and get the info of 2 other parents so far this year during school functions. He did take enough invitations for all the children in his class and was instructed to give one to each kid. His class is only 15 to 17 kids and generally only about 20% of the people you invite to a party are going to come anyway.
But it's Monday morning and i just got a call from his teacher saying that she will be sending a letter home with all the children to ensure that the parents are aware of the policy that this is strictly prohibited. So now I have inconvenienced her and made a fool of myself I guess for not knowing this policy. It just makes me wonder, what is happening to the sense of community that folks used to have. And the theory that this policy is going to keep some kids from being hurt is silly because if I had only invited the 3 kids (2 are twins) from his class whose contact info I have, what would stop them from coming to school on the following Monday and talking about it? People aren't likely to stop having parties for their kids and schools can't make them? So I am still just confused as heck about why this is a rule to begin with.
As a child, I was definitely aware of the fact that there were parties I was not invited to and yes, on some level I can still remember that I felt sad when I heard the other kids talking about the party afterwards, but it wasn't the end of my world and I got over it pretty quickly. I guess we just don't live in that world any longer.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
Imagine my surprise seeing this topic on top, I am the OP! Especially as it is almost my son's birthday again. Just to update, the teacher did allow me to send notes home to a couple parents that I wanted to get in touch with. What a disaster! The kids figured it was a birthday invite (which really it kind of was, it was a note to Mom/Dad please contact me about our kids getting together) and caused quite a disruption at school. And after all that fuss, only ONE person ended up calling me out of 3 or 4 notes that went home. Since then I have gotten to know a lot more parents but that first year was a little rough, trying to get in touch with everyone being new and all. And really I completely agree with the comment above about shielding kids from disappointments. My kids get party invites from teachers' kids at school ALL THE TIME - I mean seriously? Come on! If they can do it, why can't we?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
We just moved here and apparently our school does not publish a student directory. Ridiculous!! Due to school policy, my son can't pass out invitations at school. Now I have to invite my kid's entire class to his birthday party or invite no one. I don't have last names, and even if I did, I don't think that would help. The teacher won't do anything, either. Is this a statewide policy? I think we've gone completely overboard with privacy.
Ridiculous is right!

No, this isn't a state wide policy. Our current school sells a directory/year book for a few bucks that includes everything, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, teachers info, class pictures etc etc. Last years school back home issued a coast list with names, phone numbers, an email addresses. Now one thing that does coincide with your school is that you have to invite the whole class...but you can invite an individual(s) from a different class. One thing I can't wrap my head around is not passing out invitations at school? We always send our to school with our son an he hands then to his teach which she passes out after class.

Last edited by SVTRay; 10-30-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas