U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,796,729 times

Advertisements

So true about the family stories. I was always told we had some Indian in us. When I did my geneology research years ago I did not find one single drop of ANY Indian blood in ANY single family line at all in my family (nor my husbands). LOL!!! Then there is the story about my g-grandmothers mother. She died when my g-grandmother was very young and her dad remarried and they had kids. I remember being told my g-grandmother was born in Kansas, came to Texas in a covered wagon and her mother had died when they lived in Oklahoma for awhile and was buried there. My own mother says she remembers her dad taking his mom to OK to visit the cemetary. I never found ANY trace of who her mother was, researched cemetaries from here to Oklahoma, Kansas and MO and did not find one single plot that could possibly be her that is recored. Then when my mom told her uncle and they asked him what he knew he said she was buried in the family plot in Wise County right next to all the other family. Well, I checked there too and she is not buried there either. Or, if she is then her real name is not on the headstone or she had another name. And I've got records of every single person that died in Wise County w/ any and all surnames that I'm related to and not a one matches. That is my brick wall.

I traced every single one of my ancestors back to Europe. I'm a Mayflower descendant thru my maternal great grandmother. That was THE last person that any of us would have expected THAT revelation, LOL. Every single line that I come from (excluding the previous mentioned brick wall) was here in "the new world" no later than around 1710. This is why I laughed when my daughter had a U.S. History teacher tell them that everyone came here thru Ellis Island. Um, by the time Ellis Island was built every single one of my ancestors had been here for over a 100 years. LOL! Most came in in the original colonies and one even founded and settled Long Island (DAMN! I've got Yankee blood in me ). Found stories about ancestors that were related to or very close to presidents and such that were interesting. There is a pretty good possibility there is one line that is connected to one president. They fought in the American Revolution, Spanish-American War, Confederecy and then one turncoat moved from North Carolina to Indiana during the Civil War, lol. With each war they were given parcels of land to settle in the new territories and would move there. They moved from the original colonies down to North Carolina and South Carolina. Then on to Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee and then on to Mississippi and then on to Texas. As mentioned, only one strain took that alternate route thru Indiana and then to Missouri before heading to Texas.

My husbands ancestor lines pretty much follow mine. They were all in the "New World" by the early, EARLY 1700's. One was on the Continental Congress. There were some rather "rich" people along the lines which was rather humorous knowing the more recent lines. Again, fighters in the Revolution, Spanish-American, Civil War (or The War Between The States or better known as the War of Northern Aggression ). Again, after each war the veterans were given a parcel of land and moved into the new territory to settle it. Down to North and South Carolina and Florida. Not many of his ended up in Georgia that I remember and I only had one line thru there myself. Then onto Alabama for most of his. Most of his stayed there until his parents moved to Texas when he was a baby.

Nope, , I did not marry a Native Texan. But I did marry someone that has as strong of a line in the foundation of this country as I do. Which is rather odd to find that. This is why I jokingly tell my girls that before they can marry someone I need to know their ancestoral lines as we are so far removed from anyone that "came over" from anywhere. Another odd tidbit I found along the way was that in and around 1695ish-1710 my mothers dads line and my husbands dads line both lived in neighboring counties in South Carolina AT THE SAME TIME! I found that interesting as all get out and we joke that they most likely knew each other. A few years ago one of those counties was holding a big event to host everyone from there and such.

A few years ago at one of the girls soccer games one of the dads said something about his mom being from Wise County. Of course that got my interest. Lo and behold, we are related. I filled in some blanks he had and same for me from what he had. Our kids had gone to school w/ each other since kindergarten and here they are related. LOL!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 AM

123 posts, read 262,376 times
dads bunch come to burlison county from the banks of the ohio river in indiana and kentucky, gettin to the area in 1852. it was more of a clan migration it seems to me than just a family. a whole slew of em went to confederate service. between 1900 and 1902 my particular branch in the form of a great grandfather came to polk county and settled. near as i can tell, none of em was ever anything other than just plain ole farmers.

moms bunch come out of france where we traced her line back to 1340 where a name change has us thrown. sittin here i do not remember the exact year they came to the new world, only remembering they settled on isle st.jean and isle royale up to northeast canada. i seem to remember mid 1500's but dont hold me to that.

the english whipped the french by 1765 and all them folks was gathered up and some was put in prison in england, some sent back to france, some went down the atlantic seaboard and settled in the colonies, some made it around florida and wound up in louisiana.

the bunch in france languished for 20 years, the french crown not quite knowing what to do with them, not considering them very loyal.

in 1785 they secretly made a deal with the spanish crown and a whole bunch of em loaded up on spanish ships that appeared in two main harbors, i believe i remember it was bordeaux and i cant remember the other one, and come to louisiana where they were reunited with their families that came in 1765.

my mothers branch came to the liberty area in 1756 and settled. she was born in liberty and was raised in liberty and hardin counties.

her older sister married a man up in polk county and she would go up and visit her sister. back in 1946, a trip from liberty to livingston was still quite a run for country folks. she would stay a week or two and come back.

one day her and her sister was walking down the dirt road on the way to visit "uncle tom and aunt sis", which is what they called the sisters husbands aunt and uncle, when an old beat up log truck came tearing down the road in a cloud of dust, passed em with the engine screamin on downshift, and ran off into the ditch(it had NO brakes) and came to a shuddering, banging stop.

out of the cloud of dust came a young man running right at em.

ran right up to em, grabbed her up, whirled her around, set her down, gave her a big sloppy kiss, backed up, said, "im gonna marry you!".

he whirled, ran back to the truck, climbed up into the cab and with an engine racing, snorting, bellowing snarl took off down the dusty road.

she asked her sister, "who in the world was that?"

"that was uncle tom and aunt sis' middle son, he just got back from the pacific with the army."

they walked on to the sisters house and the next day she got on the bus and went back to liberty.

six days later come a knock on the door of her fathers house and he hollered for her to come quick.

she came and standing there was that big tall galoot with a boquet of flowers held up with both hands, said, "ive come to marry you".

and he did.

she said when that man come running outta the dust cloud he was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

they went 44 years.

he had to leave her in 1989, but i think he has a place ready for her in heavan.

now i know the thread was supposed to be more about old stuff, but i figgered a tale like that from 1946 is worth repeating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or