Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
Well, to be honest you shouldn't knock the experience of a smoke free environment.

As a Californian living in Texas, it would be nice to be able to go out enjoy a meal or even a drink and not come home with a bronchial infection!

Truly a smoke free environment is an enjoyable and Healthy place to be!
I agree with you, kellypink. Nothing grosses me out more than cleanup after people smoke and the things left behind. I feel for some folks in the restaurant business.

What we've got now in a lot of places is much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A while ago I read a article about natives in Nevada being unhappy with Cali transplants because they started voting no smoking in bars regulations and such.
I never liked Las Vegas because of the smoke everywhere (at the airport, etc.). I couldn't wait to get out of there--either making a short trip to L.A. or back to Houston. I hope I don't get lung cancer from all that smoke from all those places.

When I finally visited L.A. last summer, I appreciated that there was no smoke coming out of the bar area of the restaurant. My party left the restaurant through there; it was nice.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i just fail to see the appeal of California. now, i have not been to many places in California-my visits have been to: Beverly Hills, LAX, Huntington Beach, Oceanside, Del Mar By The Sea, San Diego, North Island, Santa Monica.
i disliked every bit of it. i found the people, in general, to be very superficial, not homey or down to earth, very materialistic, very liberal, the traffic horrendous. (i will never forget when i was a flight nurse and landed in Santa Monica and had to then transport my patient by ground ambulance to Los Angeles Childrens Hospital-i had never seen so many lanes on a freeway, and crazy drivers. i was skeered to death. in terms of housing, i just saw so much congestion-cookie cutter houses so close together. no wide open spaces to breathe in! i just dont get it. i know i would be making A WHOLE LOT of money in California as an RN and I will give California credit for being a union state for RN's and keeping RN salaries high and nurseatient ratios appropriate and safe. but even with $100,000 a year i would make in California, with the cost of living, i would be MUCH poorer, where in Texas an RN can make $85,000 (or more) and wow...look at what we can buy for under 200K-in some areas, heck, we can even buy a mini-ranch for that!! quality of life is SO much better in Texas. oh and we dont have state income tax!!
friendlier folks, wide open spaces...cant get any better
I can't agree more!!! The California of today is a joke that the rest of the country is laughing at. Much much happier living in Texas, and I could afford to live in California but would never again do so in it's current state.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinon. FYI, there are tons of wide open spaces, you just needed to get out of the LA area. Look on a map and see how far south LA is.

I've lived in southern and northern CA. I prefer the north by far, and for all the reasons you described above.

As far as income tax goes, it's a trade off. There are other fees people have to pay in Texas.

Friendlier people in Texas sure hasn't been my experience. In fact, all the things you described you disliked about the people in CA above, are things I've found to be exactly like people in the Dallas metroplex.
Maybe a negative attitude moving to Texas is why Texans were not friendly to you!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Maybe a negative attitude moving to Texas is why Texans were not friendly to you!
Nawwww, that couldn't be it it...it makes too much sense, SweetClimber! But seriously, a point to you!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfState View Post
I know the "native" Texans, whatever that means (more on that in a moment), don't like being overrun by invading east and west coast people.

I have three words for you that you won't find agreeable - get over it.

The world is getting smaller. More aggressive populations have crushed other societies since the beginning of time. Why don't you read about how many cultures were exterminated by the Romans.

It's the 21st century, not the 19th century. The world is not gentle now but, to be quite frank, it never was - especially not in Texas.

Again, I apologize for the tone of this next question, but someone please explain to me what's so special about TX that it deserves to be spared the good and bad of globalization that is ravaging the rest of this country?!?

Why is CA so expensive? Regulations?? Give me a break - the CA coast has the most desireable weather on the planet and it attracts the wealthiest people on the planet.

The global competition that is taking place is happening in TX too - regardless of whether or not people choose to believe it.

As for native Texans, I'm wondering if people are referring to the Allen brothers (founders of Houston) of Brooklyn, John Neely Bryan (founder of Dallas) of Tennessee, Stephen F Austin (founder of Austin) of Virginia, or Father Antonio de San Buenaventura y Olivares - founder of San Antonio?

just remember when you move here from CA: we're armed and you are probably not....

Old 11-09-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Obviously they haven't. They hear things but don't really "know" what the taxes are like first-hand. The sales tax in Texas is every bit as high as in California. As you mentioned above and I previously stated, there's a trade off in fees paid in this state, by not having an income tax. Native Texans just don't know it.

funny this shows texas historically has one of the lowest overall state tax burdens and that includes all taxes:
The Tax Foundation - Texas' State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008
notice all the rankings in the 40's (1 is highest burden)

meanwhile, california has been top 10 for a long time:
The Tax Foundation - California's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

guess the statistics lie though....

Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
True, very true, however you folks elected him Govenor. I personally don't consider him an American. I personally don't consider him human. I dont consider him president since he lost the popular vote in 2000. He is up for conseration for Anti christ. I would consider him for the role of Darth Vader, but I think DV was far more intelligent. However I do believe he actually won the govenorship of Texas fair and sqare. California would have had nothing to do with him. He makes Arnold look pretty good actually.

really??, enjoy arnold and all those new taxes to try and balanced that bloated budget.
most of us don't consider obama american considering he wasn't really born in the USA. good work faking the birth certificate though.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
He said NO to a bill for insurance for children whos parents cannot afford private medical insurance. Going after libs is one thing, going after sick children is another.

maybe you shouldn't have children if you cannot afford them. I don't see that right in the constitution or the bill of rights.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Clinton: NAFTA was his mistake, a policy widely supported by the Republican Congress.

The Clinton Years: Remember When:

Gas was 75 cents to 99 cents and we were pissed about it.

A budget Surplus

His Justice department caught the guys who attacted the WTC on his watch and they are now in jail.

Welfare reform

100,000 more cops on the streets of america

College Tuition Grants in excange for community service

Stable real estate market

those 3500 future soldiers of Iraq were still alive

We had building 1 2 and 7 of the world trade center standing

Most of the world respected us (yes I was in the service and felt the love and respect all over the world for president Clinton)

remember when he decided that poor people with bad credit deserved homes they couldn't afford? Then he appointed his people at fannie mae and freddie mac to make it happen. Fast forward 10 years and now you have banks failing as people can't pay their mortgages they had no business getting.
Not sure how Bush caused 9/11. pretty sure clinton had the intelligence and did nothing.
Same with Iraq, why not remove saddamm in the mid 90's when he kicked out the weapons inspectors and had UN support?

But really, it is all Bush's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas