Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Umm, no. If you want California so much that you think Texas needs to be remade over into its image, there's a simple solution. Go back to California and sleep in the bed you made. I'm sure you'll find it very comfortable. We, on the other hand, do NOT need to be "made over" so that we have to sleep in the bed that YOU made.

This has little to do with conservative or liberal and everything to do with arrogance - the arrogance that moves from one place to another and then proceeds to try to turn the new place into the place they came from because what they're familiar with is just SO much better.

Fortunately, most Californians that I've met that move here don't have this attitude and cringe when they hear one of their fellow California ex-pats expressing it.
You are right, Texas is just that Texas and you should all be proud of it, just like I am proud to be from AR and no I am not a hillbilly that married my cousin. I would have, but he didn't like me enough plus we lived in Calif at that time.

Too many people in Ca think they are just one leval above the rest of the country.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Bankrutpcy is a great leveler.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Beautification for starters, Bring in more places to eat besides Tex mex and crappy pizza places, better grocery stores, hopefully dilute the Texan drawl in Dallas, it's also way too conservative.
Fact is, people are moving in and things will change here. I know some of you don't like it, but nothing you can do to prevent it.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
But is Austin representative of Texas?
What will you do when Texas secedes?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Tex-Mex isn't going anywhere, our grocery stores are just fine with us (we managed to exist without Trader Joes for a long time), We'll keep the drawl; thank you kindly and obviously since we haven't managed to flush ourselves down the toilet economy wise I doubt conservative is really that horrible. There; I just did my part to prevent it.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Beautification for starters, Bring in more places to eat besides Tex mex and crappy pizza places, better grocery stores, hopefully dilute the Texan drawl in Dallas, it's also way too conservative.
Fact is, people are moving in and things will change here. I know some of you don't like it, but nothing you can do to prevent it.
Cupcake, the problem as far as I can tell from your posts, you're stuck in some far out suburb and unhappy about it. I would be too. In Dallas and the closer-in suburbs, we have a full range of dining options that don't include Tex Mex (which I happen to love, don't get me wrong) and crappy pizza. There's a whole other world in Dallas, but it sounds like you're going to have to actually head into town to find it.

Texan drawl, I can do nothing about that.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
I am a native and it's getting harder and harder to hear any drawls - personally I love them. Only a Californian would complain about such.

Dallas went overwhelmingly for Obama and almost every Republican was swept out of office in 2006 -- gay county judge and gay county clerk, lesbian Latina sheriff, Democrat African- American DA (the only one in a major US city) two recent female jewish mayors, an African-American mayor etc.. I don't think you know what you are talking about. Also Dallas is a restaurant mecca - probably the most sophisticated foodie scene between the coasts (with a nod to New Orleans of course). You did say you live in Dallas, right?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:30 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
"I am a native and it's getting harder and harder to hear any drawls" Lakewooder

Yep. My mother had a strong Texas drawl. My brother and I, born and raised in Texas, actually made fun of her!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
where do you live? Bring in more places to eat, some of the best places to eat in the country are in the Dallas area...it isn't quite SFO but better than many places. Conservative, if you don't like that move!!! Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what Texas is all about. You may be a lib, but this doesn't mean conservatism is bad..Texas drawl? How about asking people in NY to loose their accent or people in the east to learn to talk slower? Pizza, you don't like the Pizza? Move to Chicago for heavens sake...Anyone that would list among the things they want to see changed better pizza is pretty intellicually narrow minded. Of all the things I can think of and all the places I have lived, judging someplace by the pizza is a joke!!! As for grocery stores, you live in Dallas I think, what more could you want? You have Tom Thum, Krogers, Sprouts plus a scattering of other choices. Oh and don't you have Whole Foods?

I don't live in Texas for many reasons, but I can say, people from CAlifornia with attitudes like you have are not helping the great state.

Oh and back to the drawl, one granddaughter was born in Ca but moved to Texas when she was 3. She had no drawl nor do her friends, she does have a few soutern expressions. The other was born in Texas, lived there until she went to college, now is in Ar and still doesn't have a drawl..Think again..

Nita

Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Tex-Mex isn't going anywhere, our grocery stores are just fine with us (we managed to exist without Trader Joes for a long time), We'll keep the drawl; thank you kindly and obviously since we haven't managed to flush ourselves down the toilet economy wise I doubt conservative is really that horrible. There; I just did my part to prevent it.
good for you, I wil admit Trader Joes would be a great addition, but yes, you can survive without it and TJ is not really a super market by any means. I do love them, but they are not what one thnks of when one thinks of a grocery store.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas