Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you say "Pecan?"
Puh-Kahn 49 79.03%
Pee-Can 7 11.29%
Puh-Can 1 1.61%
Pee-Kahn 4 6.45%
Other or Neither 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times

Advertisements

Greetings Fellow Texans,

I am posting the usual weekend poll a little early simply because I got into a heated argument with a Georgian a bit ago. It revolved around the "proper" pronunciation of "pecan."

Now, I grudgingly admit that the fellow -- who is a good friend -- had a right to talk. Much as it pains me to say it, Georgia actually beats out Texas in commercial pecan production (we are second). But dammit, we still hold top spot when it comes to native pecan trees.

Anyway, it occured to me that there seems to be an east/west divide on the subject across the so-called "Pecan Belt". From my own experience, folks west of, and including, western Alabama, pronounce it correctly. Which is "Puh-Kahn" (slight accent on second syllable).

East of there, it comes out "Pee-Can"...which as any true Texas male knows, is something you carry in your pickup truck for beer-induced emergencies!

Also, seems like the yankees (if they have heard of them at all) have a "different" way of enunciation. I don't know about the far SW and W states which, I was honestly surprised to learn, grow a lot of commercial pecans. And as far north as Illiniois.

Beltwide Pecan IPM PIPE
(
The U.S. is the world’s largest pecan producer by far, with pecans also growing in Mexico, Australia, South America, Israel, and South Africa. Pecans are a warm weather crop, requiring some winter chilling, limiting U.S. growing areas to the southern states and the southwest. The top five states in order of native pecan production during 1970-1999 were Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. The top five states in order of improved pecan production for the period 1998-2002 were Georgia, N.M., TX, AZ, and Alabama. When total production is included, Georgia is the largest producer, followed by Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arizona.

Anyway, the question is, how do you prounounce "pecan."

And by the way, since it is the State Tree, I have a soft spot for it...and enjoy picking up pecans, shelling, and eating them up. BUT...the paradox is that -- much as it is a staple at Texas/Southern family dinners and reunions, I never cared all that much for pecan pie! Too damn sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Puh khans

Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
i say "pee-can" and "pee-kahn" . i can't help it! i find that i usually say the former when i'm talking about the pie, and the latter when i'm talking about the nut

Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Puh khans
This is correct pronunciation

Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Puh-Khan!!! Only a damn Yankee pronounces it Pee-Can.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,369,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings Fellow Texans,

Anyway, it occured to me that there seems to be an east/west divide on the subject across the so-called "Pecan Belt". From my own experience, folks west of, and including, western Alabama, pronounce it correctly. Which is "Puh-Kahn" (slight accent on second syllable).

East of there, it comes out "Pee-Can"...which as any true Texas male knows, is something you carry in your pickup truck for beer-induced emergencies!

Also, seems like the yankees (if they have heard of them at all) have a "different" way of enunciation. Anyway, the question is, how do you prounounce "pecan."
OK TR, I'm going to blow your theory to kingdom come!! I live as far East as they get and I pronounce it "puh-kahn" just like you do! So does my sister!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I'm a damn Yankee and I pronounce it the same way you do!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Living in the south now for many, many years, I have actually changed my pronunciation of said nut to puh-khan. I used to say pee-can (or maybe it was pee-kahn...been too long...can't remember for sure) when I lived in California, but I guess that came from my damn Yankee parents even though my dad immigrated to the east coast from Germany. Come to think about it, I'm a damn Yankee too since I was born in NY. Hmm, would I be considered a Limey if I had been born in England? I would hope not.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
puh-khan. hearing it pronounced pee-can makes me nuts (hee hee!). Doesn't puh-khan praline sound much prettier than pee-can praline? Seriously. Say them both outloud. The latter just sounds wrong.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
I am always a little taken aback when someone says pea-cann! Same with Sal-monn (for salmon, which I pronounce sah-mon). My former MIL also liked vienna sausages ---ewww - which she pronounced
"VY-EHNNA" and sirens (as in ambulance) were "SIGH-REENS"

Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
when i lived in south carolina/georgia i remember most people pronouncing it "pee-can/kahn", and i'm pretty sure they're not yankees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas