Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

The Cowboys are stinking it up this year and may well finish last in the division. They are of course associated with Texas although many Texans are not fans.

I like NFL teams where players from my colleges went most notably Cal - Berkeley. Craig Morton was from there so like the Cowboys then but now Aaron Rodgers is at Green Bay, Seattle has two Cal running backs, DeSean Jackson, Tony Gonzalez, Herm Edwards. Still the Cowboys symbolize Texas.

As for Perry he is routinely made fun of in other states. I voted in the GOP Primary for Kay Bailey Hutchison, a smart conservative but as a school board member i know Perry is partly responsible for Texas low educational ratings, and for forcing local districts to raise school property taxes so he can say he didn't raise them statewide. I am in favor of the death penalty but on at least one recent occasion Perry vetoed his own Parole Board's recommendation for clemency (which happens once every lifetime) and executed a guy who was probably innocent. Perry read the polls not the evidence Texas receives lots of bad publicity for this as well although I would personally expand the death penalty to include criminals who continue to be violent in prison after being convicted of several violent crimes.

Anyway which scenario is worse for Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
You realize a large number of folks in this world couldnt care less about professional sports...right ?

Considering how much better Texas is doing than the rest of the country, I suspect the only thing about Perry other people are making fun of is his hair , not his politics.

Your opinion of Perry isnt going to match up with the election results so I'll assume that scenario is worse for YOU !

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Two items that are certain this year. A Perry win, and a loosing season for the Cowboys. Accept it folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
The Cowboys are stinking it up this year and may well finish last in the division. They are of course associated with Texas although many Texans are not fans.

I like NFL teams where players from my colleges went most notably Cal - Berkeley. Craig Morton was from there so like the Cowboys then but now Aaron Rodgers is at Green Bay, Seattle has two Cal running backs, DeSean Jackson, Tony Gonzalez, Herm Edwards. Still the Cowboys symbolize Texas.

As for Perry he is routinely made fun of in other states. I voted in the GOP Primary for Kay Bailey Hutchison, a smart conservative but as a school board member i know Perry is partly responsible for Texas low educational ratings, and for forcing local districts to raise school property taxes so he can say he didn't raise them statewide. I am in favor of the death penalty but on at least one recent occasion Perry vetoed his own Parole Board's recommendation for clemency (which happens once every lifetime) and executed a guy who was probably innocent. Perry read the polls not the evidence Texas receives lots of bad publicity for this as well although I would personally expand the death penalty to include criminals who continue to be violent in prison after being convicted of several violent crimes.

Anyway which scenario is worse for Texas?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Billy I would say alot more people care about sports than politics. Texas is not doing well in education we are consistently ranked among the bottom states. (Thank God for Miss- Alabama- Louisiana!) If you served on a school board you'd now how Perry set up accountability committees to make local boards keep taxes high so he could say he didn't raise them.

Perry is not popular around the country - its sort of like Bush. Obama isn't either but Reagan and others got low scores around this time in their admin. Still Obama has 2x more approval than Bush had - although I'm not happy with either of them.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
how would a cowboys loss be embarassing to the entire state when the entire state is not full of cowboy fans. ever heard of this little ol' football team called the houston texans?

the dallas cowboys organization in and of itself is an embarrassment to me. jerry jones is not a real texan and quite honestly, doesn't deserve our support

Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I haven't run into too many people outside of Texas who even know who our Governor is, much less have an opinion about whether he gets re-elected or not.

Look at it this way. Do you really care who gets elected governor of California or New York? I might note the outcome of those states' elections with passing interest on election night, but a week later I would probably be hard-pressed to even recall who won there. Right now, I can't name the governors of 3 of the 4 states that border Texas. What's going on in those states is just not on my radar.

OTOH, I've heard national sports talk radio hosts discussing the Cowboys' woes with regularity. Sports fans are paying attention to that. IMO, that should be more embarassing to the owner of the team than the state, because he failed to put together a winning combination of players and coaches in what will probably be his team's highest-profile season in the next 20 years, thanks to the new stadium and hosting the Super Bowl. That's a classic example of a missed opportunity.

Last edited by Bo; 11-01-2010 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Added a couple of sentences.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
No one should choose their governor based on national popularity (or not). So I don't really care if Perry is not popular outside of Texas. He embarrrases us sometimes when he opens his mouth, but not much of what he says is quotable.

You've mentioned accountability boards before. Please tell me more. School related property taxes for most of Texas are down since the 2006 change in school finance. I have been a bond committee chairman for two bond elections in my school district and keep up with many school finance issues. What pressure are you talking about from Perry to raise school taxes? If he is doing that - it's not working.

I know some audit-related financial standards have been elevated for school districts - which affects their financial strength ratings. These in turn affect their borrowing costs.

BTW - I respect anyone who serves on a school board. So thank you for your service.

As for the Cowboys - I am absolutely indifferent to their season. I grew up a Redskins fan. On a more political note - I would vote NO for any and all taxes, bonds, etc. for the construction of stadiums used primarily by professional teams. I am always disappointed when citizens fall for the pitches of the owners. It is sad that Jerry Jones has such powers of persuasion.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
I simply stated that Perry is a "shoe in" because of this state's past overwhelming support of him. His ideas and policies have not changed in many years and at LEAST 80% of the state will continue to support him without a doubt. With the Cowboys, it's gonna vary from year to year. Last year they were quite a bit better, but this year isn't looking too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I haven't run into too many people outside of Texas who even know who our Governor is, much less have an opinion about whether he gets re-elected or not.

Look at it this way. Do you really care who gets elected governor of California or New York? I might note the outcome of those states' elections with passing interest on election night, but a week later I would probably be hard-pressed to even recall who won there. Right now, I can't name the governors of 3 of the 4 states that border Texas. What's going on in those states is just not on my radar.

OTOH, I've heard national sports talk radio hosts discussing the Cowboys' woes with regularity. Sports fans are paying attention to that. IMO, that should be more embarassing to the owner of the team than the state, because he failed to put together a winning combination of players and coaches in what will probably be his team's highest-profile season in the next 20 years, thanks to the new stadium and hosting the Super Bowl. That's a classic example of a missed opportunity.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Cowboys aka "America's Team".

They don't represent America & they sure as hell don't represent me as a native Texan.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
the cowboys aren't hungry enough for a championship. they're not humble enough. the entire organization is way too arrogant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: