Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Here is the Menu for a Texas Breakfast. Choose as you will.
Fried eggs -- "runny yellow" (sunnyside up) 9 25.00%
Fried eggs -- Over easy 12 33.33%
Fried eggs -- Hard (yolk cooked) 4 11.11%
Scrambled eggs 17 47.22%
Poached eggs 3 8.33%
Bacon 24 66.67%
Sausage 21 58.33%
Ham 9 25.00%
Grits 9 25.00%
Hash-browns 22 61.11%
Texas Toast 7 19.44%
Buttermilk (Southern style) Biscuits 18 50.00%
Picante/Hot Sauce 11 30.56%
Gravy 16 44.44%
Breakfast steak (country or chicken fried) 8 22.22%
Cold sliced homegrown tomatoes 9 25.00%
Other (please elaborate) 7 19.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I always put ketchup on both!

Do you like the way they sometimes make huevos rancheros in NM, especially Santa Fe? They start with a FLOUR tortilla (rather than a crisp corn one), top that with fried eggs, then green chile sauce, usually bland.

I was shocked (several years ago), but I imagine they still make them this way.

The food in Alpine a couple of weeks ago surely did taste good......
That's the way we always had them growing up in NM, with the flour tortillas. Now that I think about it, I've had them both ways as well and enjoyed them both ways. Of course my mom didn't care for corn tortillas when I was growing up, so all of her cooking was done with flour tortillas and that's just what I was used to. Huevos rancheros can certainly vary a lot based on where you have them--I've had some that were just awful.

I'm envious of your trip to Alpine. I miss being closer to that part of TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
That's the way we always had them growing up in NM, with the flour tortillas. Now that I think about it, I've had them both ways as well and enjoyed them both ways. Of course my mom didn't care for corn tortillas when I was growing up, so all of her cooking was done with flour tortillas and that's just what I was used to. Huevos rancheros can certainly vary a lot based on where you have them--I've had some that were just awful.

I'm envious of your trip to Alpine. I miss being closer to that part of TX.
When I was driving back and forth between Midland and Alamo, I lived at a popular restaurant here that serves great breakfasts. You had a CHOICE of tortillas for huevos rancheros--either corn or flour. The sauce was green chile-based, but very good, and they will bring you a hot green sauce on request. So, I'd get the corn tortilla with overeasy fried eggs, good green chile sauce and the hot green on the side. They were served with hash browns and refried beans, just really tasty!

That is also an anomaly for Alamo, given that 90% of the restaurants here are just horrible.

I ate at a restaurant (Best Western Alpine served a complimentary egg/bacon/biscuit breakfast with hot sauce on the table, so I had one meal out for lunch or dinner) for lunch after I got through looking at houses.

The restaurant was Texas Fusion, and each table got a complimentary basket of chips and salsa, even if you didn't order Mexican food. The salsa was hot enough that my nose was running...dang, it WERE good! It was a RELIEF to be back in a place where I didn't have to ask for decently spiced food!

The CFS was so huge that I doggie-bagged half of it, stuck it in the room fridge, and warmed it up a couple of days later when I got home!

Dang, I miss good food that I don't have to make myself.

So, next time you're in Alpine, do stop there. I really enjoyed it.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM

149 posts, read 357,646 times
I remember when I was a kid, Grandma made biscuits and gravy every Sunday morning. If I close my eyes I can remember sitting between her and my granddad at the dining room table having the homemade biscuits and the gravy made from the sausage and bacon drippings and having the bacon and sausages patties with them. Sometimes Grandma would make an egg for me too. What a great memory.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
I remember when I was a kid, Grandma made biscuits and gravy every Sunday morning. If I close my eyes I can remember sitting between her and my granddad at the dining room table having the homemade biscuits and the gravy made from the sausage and bacon drippings and having the bacon and sausages patties with them. Sometimes Grandma would make an egg for me too. What a great memory.
There is no better cooking then what our grandmothers made. Mine could cook over an open fire as well as on a stove. She always told me God created our fingers before he created a fork. I miss her, her great cooking and all those fresh vegetables from her garden.

Ever had true eggs from chickens that run wild ? They have a much deeper orange yolk and taste about 5 times better then store bought eggs. That will spoil you.

Also, breakfast in west Texas is better then east Texas. The food just taste better when you can see 20 miles in every direction.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
my goodness, that's a lot of fat filled food.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
my goodness, that's a lot of fat filled food.
As a Football Freak you realize we have some big kids in TX that like to eat.

Even though we talk about all this good food, it's not something you can do everyday. (But we do still allow toys in our McDonalds Happy Meals)

Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a Football Freak you realize we have some big kids in TX that like to eat.

Even though we talk about all this good food, it's not something you can do everyday. (But we do still allow toys in our McDonalds Happy Meals)

That's only in San Francisco where they don't. The rest of CA does allow it. SF is just a twisted backwards weird city.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times
Darn it, Reb! Now you have me wanting biscuits and gravy. And grits. And sausage. And more gravy. Lots of salt.

In the meantime, my breakfast blender will contain any or all of the following: fresh mango, fresh pineapple, carrot juice, fresh beets, yellow bell pepper, Bulgarian yogurt, brown rice powder, and LOADS of fresh ginger.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM

122 posts, read 310,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not hard at all! Just ask them to hold the eggs - works for me, when I'm not in an egg mood.
Every place I have asked will take the eggs off and not lower the bill or will not substitute the eggs for anything else.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
you forgot the Mexican food (except the hot sauce). Texas really wouldn't be as special without the integration of Southern-Mexican good.
stuff like Chorizo and Tortillas (as opposed to just toast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas