Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,391 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Orlando, Fl to Texas my husband will be working in Grapevine and are not sure what areas we should look into to live in (Renting a house is what we are looking for). We have 2 children 3 and under our safety is our main priority as well as staying as close as possible to work. Can anybody tell us what areas might be best, we have also looked into Mckinney but find it to far out. Any stay at home mom's advice greatly needed.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Grapevine itself is a really nice suburb. DH and I have lived here for 8 years now, and we absolutely love it. Here are some websites for you to check out:

Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District
Grapevine-Colleyville Schools are VERY well-regarded and many people move here just for the school system.

City of Grapevine, Texas > Home
City of Grapevine has EXCELLENT parks & rec programs and all sorts of fun activities for families throughout the year. DH and I are both active volunteers with civic organizations here, and we love the festivals and activities! There are numerous parks throughout the city, and several lengthy walking/jogging trails.

What is your budget for housing? I will say that we have lived in the downtown/historic area, and we now live in SW Grapevine, so I can comment on both areas. the most sought-after part of Grapevine is the part along Hall-Johnson Rd near Parr Park, or the section east of Hwy 121. You can find rentals throughout the city. DM me and I can give you the name of a the people we rented from; they were good landlords.

Yes, McKinney is VERY far away, and that would be a horrible commute (and it's down a toll road, too). No need to make that kind of drive when there are plenty of nice places to live closer to work.

Good luck, and ask more questions if you need to!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
check the Fort Worth forum--
many posts about Grapevine there
Grapevine Colleyville ISD is one of the top ones in Tarrant county
some parts of Grapevine itself feed into Southlake Carroll ISD--which is even better ranked

working in Grapevine with a decent commute might also include towns like Flower Mound, Bedford, Southlake, Colleyville, Hurst, North Richland Hills--with several school districts as well

run a search on the FTW forum for Grapevine and read those threads--
good info
lot of it current

two things to take notice of
the freeways in Grapevine area--121 and 114 are undergoing longtime construction process--it will be messy for several years but there are some surface streets to use vs the freeways

and there are apts on Mustang Dr in Grapevine that have Section 8 rentals--
check crime maps of area and there are quite a few calls in that area--

so just be aware when you look for rental home

realtor.com has rental properties listed
we can't post any other RE site on this forum

Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM

398 posts, read 729,087 times
Welcome! I made the move from Orlando too. We are in the North Dallas area and so far we love it! Wish you luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Moving from Florida to Grapevine

I'm not a stay at home mom (or dad, for that matter) but as ChristieP and loves2read say, Grapevine is a pretty cool place.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and there are apts on Mustang Dr in Grapevine that have Section 8 rentals--
check crime maps of area and there are quite a few calls in that area--
so just be aware when you look for rental home

DH and I live about a mile off Mustang Drive, and we have had ZERO crime problems in the 2 years we have been in our home. Most of the crime "problems" (if you could call them that) are isolated to the apartments and the trailer parks themselves. The surrounding neighborhoods are very nice and I seriously doubt you would experience any crime problems. Still, the Grapevine PD has a substation on Mustang, and the offices do a lot of community outreach in the apartments and trailer parks so the residents know they have a presence.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
There are just lots of crime reports in paper for Mustang drive because of them...

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM

471 posts, read 807,161 times
Rick Perry is going to sign a bill barring anyone else from migrating here from out of state due to too much urban sprawl and killing of trees to make room for another super walmart. Grapevine and surrounding areas are now closed to new members. Grapevine Mills mall will be demoed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas