Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 AM

91 posts, read 476,095 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experince or have any knowlegde about this job? I'm thinking about applying for this position at the post office, but wanted to get some info before taking the time out to actually take the test and going through the interview process. I'm only looking to supplement my income so I don't care that there are no benefits or that I'm only guaranteed one day a week:

1) What time do you usually start in the morning and how long can it take to finish the route(s)?

2) Is the schedule setup a week in advance or would I be on call and if called in for that same day can I decline if I had another committment (a parent/teacher conference for example.)?

3) How likely would I end up working more than 4 days in one week?

4) Is the pay weekly, every two weeks or monthly?

5) What is the satisfaction level, what are some problems I may run into with property owners or with other personnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,716,990 times
No idea, but I've seen the job announcements for rural carriers in many small towns--seems like it's always an open position. I wonder if that's good or bad.

One time I saw a rural carrier in his own Astro minivan going to each mail box out in the country. What was funny was that he had a kayak strapped to the top and it was wet. I wonder if he had to ford some of the small rivers in the area to get the mail delivered. You know what they say...the mail gets delivered AT ALL COST. Nothing stops it. For then democracy is rendered useless.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
Rural Carrier Associates usually fill in for a regular carrier who is on vacation, sick, or assigned elsewhere. You may work 6 days a week for only a few hours a day. You'll probably have to use your own vehicle and the USPS will pay you a vehicle allowance, that, at today's gas prices, may not cover your fuel expenses. I don't know how flexible the USPS is if you are called to work and have another commitment. I think you are paid bi-weekly. I've known and worked with several rural carriers over the years and they seemed to be pretty happy with their jobs. The public is pretty supportive of the carriers. The work seems to be suited for people who like to work independently and don't mind being out in all kinds of weather.

Good luck to you. Hope this helped.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Rural Carrier Associates usually fill in for a regular carrier who is on vacation, sick, or assigned elsewhere. You may work 6 days a week for only a few hours a day. You'll probably have to use your own vehicle and the USPS will pay you a vehicle allowance, that, at today's gas prices, may not cover your fuel expenses. I don't know how flexible the USPS is if you are called to work and have another commitment. I think you are paid bi-weekly. I've known and worked with several rural carriers over the years and they seemed to be pretty happy with their jobs. The public is pretty supportive of the carriers. The work seems to be suited for people who like to work independently and don't mind being out in all kinds of weather.

Good luck to you. Hope this helped.
That's a very good idea for out in the country. It beats bringing some city people out there and it's a good opportunity for extra income.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,716,990 times
It's also a good way to get to know the landowners and various people that live out in the country. If you're looking to buy land, it's a good job to have. You literally get to know about EVERYONE without snooping through their mail.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:54 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,427 times
The rural carriers (and fill-ins) aren't supervised as closely while in the station, hubby says. City carriers, on the other hand, can't catch a break

Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 21,098 times
The reason they are not as closely watched, is because they are paid by the day, not the hours worked.
They currently earn about $18.50 an hour, based on the evaluation of the route. You are suppose to be available when called, and they can train you on up to 3 routes. Some offices are very lenient on this, but it all depends on the Postmaster.
Some rural carriers have postal provided vehicles, while others use their own. You would need a car that you can drive while sitting on the right hand side. Some straddle the console, others install an extra set of brake/gas pedals. Blazers work well, because you can remove the center console and they are roomy and 4wd.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM

91 posts, read 476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellutgen View Post
The reason they are not as closely watched, is because they are paid by the day, not the hours worked.
how many hours do they work per day?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,571 times
Can anyone tell me if there is a certain car your suppose to use to deliver mail for the post office. My boyfriend had an interview an they said that he needed to get something so he could drive on the passengers side. I've looked and can't find anything. Has anyone had to do this before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: