Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 08:48 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,743,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You called it, sister.

Having lived in northeast Texas for 25 years, I'd say that this area definitely has a lot of southern influence and historical ties, but I don't consider west or south Texas to feel southern much at all.

Like you say, Texas is Texas. And I love it and am thrilled to have "discovered" it - I plan to live out the rest of my life here, actually. And this is coming from a woman who loves the southern states and loves being a southern woman. I fit easily into Texas and consider myself both a Texan and a southerner - but I am always bemused when I run across someone who wants so desperately for Texas to be a "deep South" state. I mean, why? Isn't being Texas enough? My gosh, Texas culture, history, etc is fascinating and scintillating - why try to be something else?
You and TexasHorseLady seem equally as "desperate" to make your own points.

If people in Texarkana are "trying" to be the Deep South then they have become experts at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You and TexasHorseLady seem equally as "desperate" to make your own points.

If people in Texarkana are "trying" to be the Deep South then they have become experts at it.
Oh you mean that town in the furthest corner possible in northeast Texas - that town that has it's other half - literally - in Arkansas? OK. I'll give you that booming metropolis.

I have relatives in Magnolia, AR (and Texarkana for that matter, though I'm not sure whether they live in Texarkana AR or Texarkana TX to be honest), and there's a reason why what I grew up calling "Southern Bell" (the telephone company) has always been called "Southwestern Bell" in this region. I recall as a child always being struck by that when I would visit them and see the telelphone book in their house.

Arkansas doesn't seem like the Deep South to me either, by the way. Southern, yes.

This is such a ridiculous argument - I'm glad this is free entertainment and that in a bit I'll be graced with company from the Deep South (my daughter was born in Georgia)! Of course, she'll be accompanied by some Texans (three of her four kids were born in Texas) but they are under no illusions about being from the Deep South - nor do they care for that matter. Being Texans is more than enough for them when it comes to state pride. As it should be! Texas is great!

Maybe we can agree on that.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,590,994 times
Quote:
Having lived in northeast Texas for 25 years, I'd say that this area definitely has a lot of southern influence and historical ties, but I don't consider west or south Texas to feel southern much at all.
The small towns 30-60 miles south of San Antonio certainly do, culturally/religiously in the white areas as well as the areas with thousands of old (if slightly crunchy) live oak trees.

Anyway here is a map using some recent genetic sampling, showing where the "deep south" begins. Take it or leave it.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/files/...igration_c.jpg

Old 12-19-2017, 09:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:
Oh you mean that town in the furthest corner possible in northeast Texas - that town that has it's other half - literally - in Arkansas? OK. I'll give you that booming metropolis.

I have relatives in Magnolia, AR (and Texarkana for that matter, though I'm not sure whether they live in Texarkana AR or Texarkana TX to be honest), and there's a reason why what I grew up calling "Southern Bell" (the telephone company) has always been called "Southwestern Bell" in this region. I recall as a child always being struck by that when I would visit them and see the telelphone book in their house.

Arkansas doesn't seem like the Deep South to me either, by the way. Southern, yes.

This is such a ridiculous argument - I'm glad this is free entertainment and that in a bit I'll be graced with company from the Deep South (my daughter was born in Georgia)! Of course, she'll be accompanied by some Texans (three of her four kids were born in Texas) but they are under no illusions about being from the Deep South - nor do they care for that matter. Being Texans is more than enough for them when it comes to state pride. As it should be! Texas is great!

Maybe we can agree on that.
Exactly. Texas has a broad, fascinating history of its own and doesn't need to try to hang on to any other region's coattails, as some seem bound and determined to do. One would think that they don't appreciate what they really have in a state large and varied enough to be its own region.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,216,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. Texas has a broad, fascinating history of its own and doesn't need to try to hang on to any other region's coattails, as some seem bound and determined to do. One would think that they don't appreciate what they really have in a state large and varied enough to be its own region.
There are a couple of young, not well-traveled brothas in here who have an agenda. They are of the same ilk who have turned Texas regional entries in Wikipedia into rubbish in order to push this agenda even further. Those pages have gotten so inaccurate with made up “facts” and bad English that mimic much of what you see here and sometimes the Houston & Dallas boards and especially on the city vs city board where anything inaccurate flies. Things that make you go hmmm....

Old 12-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I don't completely disagree, actually. In fact, I would only include southern AR (as well as Texarkana) in a definition of the Deep South that includes Memphis and much of the upper Mississippi Delta region. This region prefers to call itself the Mid-South, however, and I would personally extend that description to much of the eastern Arklatex.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
One would think that they don't appreciate what they really have in a state large and varied enough to be its own region.
According to the poll in the other thread, most Texans have no problem recognizing Texas as Texas while also realizing that part of their state might identify strongly with a subregion of our nation.

As far as this native Texan is concerned, the fact that Marshall reminds me more of where I used to live in Atlanta, GA than where I currently live in San Antonio speaks volumes as to how disjointed the subcultures and landscapes of Texas really are. Most of our state is not a real melting pot but more of a patchwork.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,278,429 times
Most people who use the "Texas is Texas" statement don't actually have a valid argument on that basis, but simply are using it as a cop-out.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,178,619 times
How many angels can dance on the point of a pin?

What is the terminal airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Who promoted Major Major?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,959 times
Quote:
Not hurt about it at all. Having been born, bred, and grown up in East Texas (my family on one side has been there since pre-Republic), I have a pretty good feel for the area. Like I said, as a little girl I dearly wanted Texas to be the Deep South, but I grew up and faced the reality that it just isn't, though East Texas bears some relationship while not being it, and that Texas is SO much more than that. As said above, Texas is, simply, Texas, far too complex to fit into either region entirely, our own personal preferences notwithstanding.

Yeah...yeah, I agree that Texas is Texas, and East Texas is the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas