Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times

Advertisements

^^^ No. Texas is unique culturally and as a place. Like China and France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
^^^ No. Texas is unique culturally and as a place. Like China and France.
And California and Florida aren't?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:48 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire
Oh we dont need an honorary membership to a club that we've also chartered...thanks for offering anyway though Kathy
..I just think its adorable when people who claim to be from everywhere else want to insist that East Texas isnt the Deep South...thats all..i find it rather amusing myself as I think most people do.

In fact Im glad youve decided to tag along with those of us born and raised in the Deep South; I find it most flattering.

As I said, I was born and bred in East Texas and my family all the way back pre-Republic was, too. So what argument do you have to try to brush off my opinion because it does not agree with what you WANT to believe?

Since you were saying that it was cute that people who are from elsewhere insist that East Texas isn't the Deep South, it seemed that you needed my bona fides in order to justify my opinion.

Speaking of which, since YOU brought it up in your post above, what are YOUR bona fides?
Ive posted my "bonafides" and background several times in several threads that YOU have been in before...and? What about it?

Its super that your family was around when Texas was getting off the ground.. kudos to you and them. I never denied NOR casted aspersions on your bonafides here. But I definitely dont need your bonafides to validate or invalidate my own statements or to give more or less credibility to your's. YOUR "bonafides" are your's, alone, to obsess and fawn over. But they dont mean quite as much in MY world.

Last edited by soletaire; 12-21-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Ive posted my "bonafides" and background several times in several threads that YOU have been in before...and? What about it?

Its super that your family was around when Texas was getting off the ground.. kudos to you and them. I never denied NOR casted aspersions on your bonafides here. But I definitely dont need your bonafides to validate or invalidate my own statements or to give more or less credibility to your's. YOUR "bonafides" are your's, alone, to obsess and fawn over. But they dont mean quite as much in MY world.
Hey, you were the one who brought the subject up regarding people from elsewhere (including the Deep South itself) stating that East Texas was not such - I was just going along with what you seemed to think mattered.

I take it you are unwilling to share again your own qualifications as defined by you as being qualifications for opinions that others hold that do not match yours.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:58 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hey, you were the one who brought the subject up regarding people from elsewhere (including the Deep South itself) stating that East Texas was not such - I was just going along with what you seemed to think mattered.

I take it you are unwilling to share again your own qualifications as defined by you as being qualifications for opinions that others hold that do not match yours.
I take it you are unwilling to read my background information when I post it instead of waiting for me to spoonfeed them to you again like a baby lol?

Well ok. But if you actually followed the thread at the time, you wouldve noticed that I wasnt the one who brought up the subject of where people are from being used as some sort of "qualifier" or "bona fides" (as you call them lol), as you claim I was, to give weight to their opinion. The post of mine youre referring to was in response to a post initiated by another poster who stated, and I quote: " I do think it's cute when some people living in Texas want to insist that it's "deep South." To this girl who hails from and loves all things Deep South, that's a compliment, whether it's actually accurate or not."

But somehow you conveniently omit that little nugget eh?..lol

But of course predictably, and as expected, your practice of selective reading and your quest to seek attention has caused you to wrongly identify the root of your hangup with people posting "qualifications" and "bonafides".

So basically: you conveniently overlook the person who actually initiated the declaration that where youre from is some sort of unassailable qualifier, so that you could superficially advance your narrative against the one whom you want people to believe initiated that claim; when in reality the gauntlet that you say I laid down by supposedly randomly claiming that a person's place of origin was all that matters, wasnt initiated by me at all.

Meh, oh well, suit yourself lol

But if youre that desperate for background information about me, Im sure you know how to use the search function. Its in the same place I left it the first time.

Last edited by soletaire; 12-22-2017 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Through no fault of your own, you don't know what you have just done! This subject has been literally beaten, stuffed, kicked and stomped to death. And on countless threads. If you search, you will find at least a dozen of them. Some of us just groan aloud when we see another one pop up as they go on and on, cause countless arguments and in the end, nothing is ever settled. The same arguments on both sides are presented by the same people and in the end we just agree to disagree. Although we ALL agree that Texas is, first and foremost, TEXAS!

But since the question arose (again *sighs*), to me, Texas -- as a whole -- is essentially (culturally and historically and that entails) -- a Southern state. I think the trans-pecos area is truly Southwestern (i.e. Interior/Desert SW), however.

But in terms of a whole, the state is Southern IMHO. However, it can be called Southwestern too... if by "Southwestern" one means it in the old sense of the term. That is, the western part of the Southern United States. Southern characteristics blended with those of the western frontier era and its legacies (which is quite different from the "Southwest" of New Mexico and Arizona, which is the "southern West"). So in that regard, it is bothSouthern and "Southwestern" (sub-regionally speaking, as in "western South"), and the two are not -- in this sense -- mutually exclusive of one another when it comes to Texas.

Anyway, that is just my studied opinion on it. Others may/will feel different. So let it be whichever, or both, or some combination a person wants it to be. So long as it is remembered it is Texas! I will stick with it to the bitter end, but dad gum if I wish this topic would just go away and be archived! And those interested can just check out the thousands of earlier replies! LOL
It it has a Taco Cabana, then it is in the southwest. The same way with Publix on the East Coast. If it has a Publix, then it is in the "Deep South".

Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
There are a couple of young, not well-traveled brothas in here who have an agenda. They are of the same ilk who have turned Texas regional entries in Wikipedia into rubbish in order to push this agenda even further. Those pages have gotten so inaccurate with made up “facts” and bad English that mimic much of what you see here and sometimes the Houston & Dallas boards and especially on the city vs city board where anything inaccurate flies. Things that make you go hmmm....
Yet the lady you've quoted has the biggest agenda of all, brotha.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
It it has a Taco Cabana, then it is in the southwest. The same way with Publix on the East Coast. If it has a Publix, then it is in the "Deep South".
Taco Cabana used to operate in the Atlanta area, which is definitely not the Southwest. Publix has locations in Virginia and Florida yet isn't found in Mississippi.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I take it you are unwilling to read my background information when I post it instead of waiting for me to spoonfeed them to you again like a baby lol?

Well ok. But if you actually followed the thread at the time, you wouldve noticed that I wasnt the one who brought up the subject of where people are from being used as some sort of "qualifier" or "bona fides" (as you call them lol), as you claim I was, to give weight to their opinion. The post of mine youre referring to was in response to a post initiated by another poster who stated, and I quote: " I do think it's cute when some people living in Texas want to insist that it's "deep South." To this girl who hails from and loves all things Deep South, that's a compliment, whether it's actually accurate or not."

But somehow you conveniently omit that little nugget eh?..lol

But of course predictably, and as expected, your practice of selective reading and your quest to seek attention has caused you to wrongly identify the root of your hangup with people posting "qualifications" and "bonafides".

So basically: you conveniently overlook the person who actually initiated the declaration that where youre from is some sort of unassailable qualifier, so that you could superficially advance your narrative against the one whom you want people to believe initiated that claim; when in reality the gauntlet that you say I laid down by supposedly randomly claiming that a person's place of origin was all that matters, wasnt initiated by me at all.

Meh, oh well, suit yourself lol

But if youre that desperate for background information about me, Im sure you know how to use the search function. Its in the same place I left it the first time.
You said you posted it on other threads. I'm not going to go looking for other threads (unnamed) for something as unimportant as this. But I do note that you declined, still and repeatedly, to provide them while using them as a means of judging the opinions of others, and I will take that as an indicator of the true validity (or lack thereof) of your own opinions.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Southern, to the east of Interstate 35E from the Texas border through Dallas to Interstate 37 in SanAntonio, to Corpus Christi.

Western, to the west of Interstate 35W through Ft. Worth to Interstate 37 in San Antonio, to Corpus Christi and east of the Pecos River to Del Rio.

Southwestern, west of the Pecos River to Del Rio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas