Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times

Advertisements

Dallas is Oklahoman in culture, not Midwestern. Brick houses, with those low roofs and asphalt shingles; just like Oklahoma City, “Bricktown”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 03:25 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Dallas' cultural ties to Shreveport and OKC are a given, considering its proximity to those two cities. How it is more like the rest of that list than it is to Houston...as a near lifelong resident of Texas, I just don't see it. DFW has always been somewhat of an outlier but not that much.

I think when you only focus on what one city has that the other doesn't (or has less of) it's easy to say that they're vastly different. Instead one should look at the total range of influences (such as the sharp increase in Mexican culture that both cities have seen) to get a better idea of how closely they're related.
K.

You have your opinion, I have mine. If you want to ignore Houston’s Gulf Coast influence as opposed to the southern plains influence of Dallas and keep moving the goalposts, that’s on you.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
Dallas is Oklahoman in culture, not Midwestern. Brick houses, with those low roofs and asphalt shingles; just like Oklahoma City, “Bricktown”.
I think you mean Oklahoma City is Dallas in culture.

Quote:
The local Dallas/Texas culture is defiantly different from Midwestern culture.
Texas culture is different from Midwestern culture, but Dallas culture is different from Texan culture.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Well first of all I agree that "The local Dallas/Texas culture is defiantly different from Midwestern culture."

No one seems to be able to come to grips with the idea that Texas is diverse and the different regions of the state are quite different from each other.

Consider a country like Germany, half the size of Texas. Most Germans would agree that there are considerable differences in attitudes from Bavarians to Prussians to Alsatians. Why is it so hard to realize that the same thing exists in Texas, which if it were a nation to itself would by no means be one of the smallest?

Just consider all the origins of Texans: Scotch-Irish from the South; Cajuns and French-influenced from Louisiana; Germans; Tex-Mex who were here before the state of Texas was even a gleam in the milkman's eye; Mexicans who came from south of the Rio Grande in every decade since the mid-1800s, and from all the different areas of Mexico (also a large diverse country); Hispanics from every country in Central and South America; Yankees from the upper Midwest with their backgrounds; Jewish immigrants from the early 1800s; Jewish immigrants from the World War Two era; Chinese immigrants; ....

Do I need to go on?

Then consider all the regions of the state: Deep Southeast Texas is pretty different from the Panhandle or the trans-Pecos in geography, economics, demographics, and everything else you can imagine.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well first of all I agree that "The local Dallas/Texas culture is defiantly different from Midwestern culture."

No one seems to be able to come to grips with the idea that Texas is diverse and the different regions of the state are quite different from each other.

Consider a country like Germany, half the size of Texas. Most Germans would agree that there are considerable differences in attitudes from Bavarians to Prussians to Alsatians. Why is it so hard to realize that the same thing exists in Texas, which if it were a nation to itself would by no means be one of the smallest?

Just consider all the origins of Texans: Scotch-Irish from the South; Cajuns and French-influenced from Louisiana; Germans; Tex-Mex who were here before the state of Texas was even a gleam in the milkman's eye; Mexicans who came from south of the Rio Grande in every decade since the mid-1800s, and from all the different areas of Mexico (also a large diverse country); Hispanics from every country in Central and South America; Yankees from the upper Midwest with their backgrounds; Jewish immigrants from the early 1800s; Jewish immigrants from the World War Two era; Chinese immigrants; ....

Do I need to go on?

Then consider all the regions of the state: Deep Southeast Texas is pretty different from the Panhandle or the trans-Pecos in geography, economics, demographics, and everything else you can imagine.
I agree with this! Now, people should use this same tatic when saying that Houston and Dallas are the same.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
The German influence (or French, or whatever) from TX is almost completely gone other than funny town names in central Texas and a couple of funny street names in San Antonio. If you said "Germany" in central TX in 2018, you'd as likely to get a "USA! USA!" chant, maybe some grudging approval of Porsches, and some stories about how grandpa shot him some in WWII than you are a German response, invited to a polka, or even basic knowledge of German food or culture.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The German influence (or French, or whatever) from TX is almost completely gone other than funny town names in central Texas and a couple of funny street names in San Antonio.
I see a strong German influence in the sausage section of grocery stores here in San Antonio. It’s more limited though than Chicago or Wisconsin where you’ll see a wider variety of German sausages.

I’ve lived here only about a year but I think there are several distinct cultural zones in Texas and no such thing as a common Texan culture. That’s my impression, anyway.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

I’ve lived here only about a year but I think there are several distinct cultural zones in Texas and no such thing as a common Texan culture. That’s my impression, anyway.
I agree but if there is one city that embodies the Texan spirit the most it's definitely Austin.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:38 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree with this! Now, people should use this same tatic when saying that Houston and Dallas are the same.
They aren't the same, but no two large metro areas are more similar...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
As a native Texan, THAT may be the MOST HIDEOUS thing, I've read on this Forum! Dallas takes it cue from OKIES!? Truly a sign of the apocalypse! Next thing you know, UT will have most of its roster from north of the Red River, cats and dogs will eat out of the same food dish, and people will think Blake Shelton is better than George Strait!

Nah, STOP IT or damn it, we in Texas will ban ALL high school football recruiting by OU and OSU in Texas, rendering your beloved pigskin programs to be nothing but Division III worthy teams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas